msdeva

Has anyone been on a commercial plane with a rig?

As far as I'm aware there's no problems with taking a rig on as hand luggage, but if you have a CyPReS it's a god idea to tell them in advance. Also, I've heard that some airlines won't let you sit in certain places (like next to doors) if you have a rig with you. If you get bored in the flight, I reccomend putting on your rig and a pilots uniform and run down the plane screaming - it's got to be worth a laugh !!
BPA - A102345
Gravity doesn't exisit - the Earth just sucks !!!

Before all this stuff I had no problem with my rig; however, good luck. Get a copy of the cypres info card from SSK just in case. Hopefully I'll see you there. I'm doing the CASA in Monrie one day and the FF to ATL the other I hope....they need to plan better. Can't miss me I have a purple and teal rig and j/s.
Lisa

Before all this, I would wear my rig in a backback and stow it as hand-luggage. I carry a Cypres card and have never had any trouble doing this; 'course, I never took it out of the backpack ON the plane, or packed it in the concourse like SOME folks have........ :)Brokeneagle.
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says...

Mouth....
you better come find me if you're coming to the Monroe Boogie!!
Just look for the guy with the "really ugly burgundy Racer" and whose jumpsuit looks like a SJ Sharks uniform...with a patch on the knee! I will jump you....err...with you!!;)
or just listen to who gets made fun of the most!!
Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Pyke :P
NZPF A - 2584
USPA C- 31879

Pyke....Watcher, PLFKING, and I plan on being there. I'll gladly push all you gentlemen out of a perfectly good airplane, and let you buy me a beer afterwards. I think we are all camping too so plan on us being there all night. I just wish the FF to ATL and CASA were not the same weekend. I'm glad Spence is cooking as I know I'll be well fed to go along with it. Tell Jen to make sure to bring the electric 8 way thing as we may need to start some trouble.
Who else is going to be there??????

I normally carry my rig on fully exposed (i.e. not in another bag). Most people think it's climbing gear, I don't tell them any different. I really hope next time I go somewhere I'll be able to do the same thing. I'll check my hook knife with my luggage and bring my cypress card.

whatever you do dont tell em that how exactly a cypress works (small charge), just say if I dont do this it will open my parachute for me - if you even get that far
There are bukus of cool planes here in Texas - :(
Should be back in Monroe for boogie next weekend tho
save me some beer -lol
righteous indignation is the ability to be mad without swearing" :)

Who else is going to be there??????

I may be able to make it up for Sat, but would likely have to leave fairly early Sun morning.. I have to get on a flight to DFW on Sun(not sure what time yet - won't know til Fri) to go to some recurrent training at Simuflite.. I suspect I'll be airlining out mid-day Sun, since I have an 0800 class on Mon morning..
Mike

I've flown with my rig lots of times, but I was talking to some people at the dz last week about it, and the consensus is that you probably won't be allowed to do that after this week's fiasco. I plan to fly to Dallas next weekend (have to use this airfare so I might as well save myself the drive!) so my plan is to check my rig as luggage. I've done it before, no problems. I'll just put big locks on everything and get extra insurance.
Good luck flying to Atlanta! At least I"m only going to Dallas...whew!
Sis
I lust for the ultimate rush...

so my plan is to check my rig as luggage. I've done it before, no problems. I'll just put big locks on everything and get extra insurance.

Just remember....even checked baggage is going through x-rays at most airports now.. You may want to show them your CYPRES card when you check it.. Who knows what kinda reaction you'll get for a CYPRES now..
Mike

yup, a few years ago at the airport in Salt Lake City. It was an insane ex-boss. The odd activity caused a small group of interested people to gather and ask questions, but, very luckily, no problems or officials came by. I also read about another person doing something similar in an article in Parachutist, was it last year? can't remember exactly what happened to this one, but I think this person ended up being detained by the local po-lice.
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says...

Ironically enough I was in NY last week and yes I brought my rig with me. I also flew it commercially on my way to Lost Prairie in July. You shouldn't have a problem, worst case scenario you may have to leave it with a flight attendant, but make sure you carry it on the plane w/you. Nothing would be worse than to have your luggage lost and be without your rig!! Take care and have a "nice" flight
Jen