freeflir29

I came..I saw...THE DAMN PROP FELL OFF!!!

So, I show up at Skydive Monroe today about 1130. I have to hurry and get in at least 1 jump cause I have to leave at about 230 or so to get to work by 4 PM. So I pack...fill out the waiver...pay $29 for the registration and lift on the Casa. Cool! Ramp jumps! Gettin excited! Go over to manifest and give up my jump ticket. I'm on a 15 minute call. Start walking away from manifest and think to myself....Damn....the planes back already...Then I notice something doesn't look right about it. Noooooooo.....couldn't be. That was my eyes playing tricks on me. Then hear someone else say what I was thinking. Hey was that #1 prop missing? Then the plane rolls to a stop and turns around. Yep ....Holy Shit! The #1 prop is gone!!!!!!!!! Thats right boys and girls....about 1000 ft the #1 prop decided it was done for the day and exited the aircraft. A lot of beer owed on that load since it was a first for all!!!!!!!!!!! The pilot did a great job recovering and everyone walked away but what a fuckin story!
"This conversation ends right here Captain! You can talk to the ALO when he gets back."-Me
Clay

It was a Carolina Skysports Casa. They were saying it only had 97 hrs since it's last Major! Somebody in Ohio just slammed their PP (or A&P if you prefer) in the door! The FAA will be coming to talk with you.
"This conversation ends right here Captain! You can talk to the ALO when he gets back."-Me
Clay

Don't know to be honest.....I was there for about an hour and half after that all occured and didn't hear anything else. So apparently, it didn't hit anything important. I was suprised the FAA hadn't gotten there before I left.
Clay

Yep, sounds like it was a rough weekend for several GA DZs-- Thomaston had it's Super Otter go out of commision, and Rome's 206 isn't due in till next weekend... so, my question is: will the two boogies affected be re-scheduled?
Brokeneagle.
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says...

hey guys..
think about it as it was happening.
all those people, at 1,000 feet, about to unbuckle their seatbelts and take their helmets off. Then the friggin prop falls off. and just so you guys know, the prop barely missed the airplane. something to due with the direction the plane was flying. if it had been the other prop we'de be down a casa load of jumpers and a 2 pilots. This is a serious thing, and it doesnt make things look good for the pilots, the airplane owners, and the drop zone.
I might take it lighter if somebody that i knew wasnt on that plane and had to make a frantic call home so his friends/familly knew the truth before the rumor mill started....

". if it had been the other prop we'de be down a casa load of jumpers and a 2 pilots"
No shit! I knew plenty of the people on that plane. Hell....if I had packed a little faster I would have been on it. Fact is....nobody was hurt...if you go on the assumptions of what might have happened...Why do you skydive? You might die every time you jump. I don't think it reflects poorly on anyone yet. Until there is some investigation we don't know who's fault this was....IF ANYONE'S. I have had things somewhat similar happen in aircraft I was flying. Shit happens. Parts break. He had a spare! LMAO
Clay

clay,
youre right.. about the what if's. but when they guy that i knew on that load, when his girlfriend told me about the frantic phone call, well i felt really bad for her. She was good friends with Lisa Gallagher, the girl that just died at the Ranch. Shes still really devistated by that, then she gets a phone call from her boyfriend of 17 years saying he just damn near died. And in between that the planes are grounded and her buisness isnt open for 11 days.
just feeling really bad for my friend. Bad shit needs to stop happening in her life.... too many upsetting events...

and just so you guys know, the prop barely missed the airplane. something to due with the direction the plane was flying. if it had been the other prop we'de be down a casa load of jumpers and a 2 pilots.

Even if it had been the other prop, the outcome may have been the same....or it could've gone really bad with this incident.. With the engine under high power(such as on climb), the prop will go forward very fast as it departs.....the problem is if it glances off the side of the airplane as it goes forward.. A prop spinning that fast will slice through all the metal it comes into contact with - and will certainly slice through a person - quite easily.. Things like this are freak accidents - and there's no rhyme or reason as to why they turn out like they do.. Many of you may remember the ASA Embraer 120 Brasilia(30 passenger turboprop) that shed a prop about 8 years ago after departing Atlanta, and ended up crashing in a field because they couldn't maintain altitude after losing one prop and all the damage it created when it left..
The only thing that is definite about this incident is that the pilots did a kick ass job.. Leave the speculation to the FAA..
Mike

"The only thing that is definite about this incident is that the pilots did a kick ass job.. Leave the speculation to the FAA.."
HooooooYah to both of those! It was sure something crazy to see I'll tell ya that!
Clay

"So did they refund your boogie fee and ticket since you didn't get even one jump?"
Yep....every dollar of it I am proud to say! They also had a King Air enroute within minutes of the incident. Stole it back from some poor DZ in Alabama that had "borrowed" it for the day.
Clay

With all due respect Kelly....when you refered to "bad shit" it makes my heart grow sad. We are all here on this planet for so long. I hope tO God no one says or refers to me dying as bad shit.....yes it hurts, but wouldn't be worth it if it was easy. We will all die, and grow closer to it everyday....it is not bad shit that someone died...regardless of how...it's a blessing that the life was shared. Yes there will always be times where there are frantic phone calls...and then we remember how precious life is, but we need to remember how precious it is before we get taken back home. You brought up a good point that if it was the other prop jumpers lives could have been lost and the lives of the pilots...but why do we need to wait until a prop comes off to remember that.... It's always sounded so morbid to some people when I say I'm dying, or when I come back from the doctor and he says that I am dying....and I am. But while I'm dying I'm living, and taking it all in. That's what it is all about.
**BLUE ONES**
BITE ME.... :P

Playmate,
That is why I love my job. Everyday I go to work it seems someone dies around me. these are everyday people. someone driving to school or to work, or at work and the next thing you know they are dead.
many of these people were probably afraid to die. me being a christian, I am not like these people. it also makes skydiving that much more enjoyable, cause the fear isnt there as much as it is for others.
just my thoughts,
Marc
Because I fly, I envy no man on earth

marissa,
well said. youre right, it wouldnt be worth it if it didnt hurt. I'm just really feeling for Mary right now, her strength is really being tested at this moment.
Lisa lived a good life, and blessed the lives of most everyone she came in contact with~ id say that was a life worth living.
Im just glad that this incident happened without and injuries/ fatalities. maybe something can be learned from it...
kel
by the way, baggo showed up this weekend. He's okay, as we already knew. it was just really good seeing everyone from NYC in person. There were definitally more hugs going around this weekend then normal.

Yeah, it was a pretty weird sight to behold......we had been up on load #1 (load #4 was the one that lost the prop), and Pyke, Mouth, me, and three others had launched a lawn dart. That in itself was a huge rush....we held it together for about 6000 ft, and hit 208 mph before it blew apart. Got down, packed up, then just hung out and talked for a while. We got manifested for load #5, load #4 takes off, they announce that load #5 is going to be a hot load, and that we're on a 20-minute call. Then, 5 minutes later thay announced that we are NOT on call, because there was "a problem with the plane." Load #4 lands, but nothing looks amiss, until he turns it around and starts taxiing back to the hangar area....then I saw about 10-15 video guys running for their camera helmets, and knew something out of the ordinary was going on, so I grabbed my camera and headed out also....it was like Clay said ; my eyes knew something was different, but I'd never seen that before...there was just a big hole in the front of the port engine where the propeller blades and hub should have been. There were about 40 jumpers standing at the front of the plane, pointing to the pilot and giving him a standing ovation, and when the guys on the load deplaned, they got a standing O also.
After hearing the pilot's comments, and talking to 4-5 of the jumpers on the load.....at about 1000 ft, they were just starting to unbuckle and remove helmets, and the plane gave a lurch to the left. They thought it was just heavy turbulence, until they heard an exclamation from the pilot, and three or four jumpers seated beside the open door pointed out the prop, which they saw helicoptering down to earth. The pilot told them to stay in the plane, everyone leaned back and remained calm, and the pilots remained cool and did their thing. After everyone had returned safely to the airport, the DZ owner thanked the jumpers for remaining calm, and seated quietly, so that the pilots could deal with the situation......I was very impressed with the pilots and the jumpers for the way they handled what had to have been some scary moments up there...
Don