Maxx

Blown up Cutaway Pillow - Teardrop SF

Hello,

Has anyone ever seen this? How can this happen?
Is this safe to jump? :P (j/k)

I will give it to my rigger this weekend and see what he thinks, but your internet opinion is welcomed as well!

All the best,
Max

P.S.: No, I will not jump it! ;)

Please confirm that the cable is still secured to the pillow, despite the fact that the stitching at the top failed.

I would definitely not expect that the top seam is what holds the cable to the rest of the pillow. I know I've seen an example of inner construction a long time ago, but can't remember the details.

If you are going to replace the handle, and I'm not sure that would actually be needed, then you could take it apart and show us how it is put together.

A loop cutaway handle doesn't depend on any stitching. :)

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Things that make you go, Huh. That's really surprising. I wouldn't have thought that they would stack cut that. If you're curious the attachment point is generally on the bottom seam which is much wider. It's normally a peace of type four tape with four or more bar tacks through it and the wide bottom seam. Then they swedge the cable, run it through a gap in the upper seam and turn it inside out with a bit of foam. Bind or fold the edge and sew Velcro on. Come to think of it... I wonder how booth does his hard inserts? Are they still mounted to the lower seam or are they dependent on the upper seam. I suppose it's not that critical since you're actually have that hard inner handle but it would be nice to know that the outer pillow is an intrigal part. Any one ever take one apart?

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Booth's early semi-handles contained a piece of 1 inch diameter steel tubing. The tubing had a narrow slot Dow one side. The slot was wider than a ripcord cable, but narrower than a ball swags, so the ripcord cable just floated in the slot. All the metal bits just floated inside the fabric. Even if all the fabric burned off, the remaking metal lump was still large enough and strong enough to serve as a ripcord handle.
Similarly, some Javelin semi-hard ripcord handles contain a tiny oval loop of regular steel tubing. Try to visualize the world's smallest ripcord handle, too small to insert your thumb.
Finally, Reflex soft ripcord handles were built similar to cutaway handles, but included a small steel ring (RW-4) swayed into the loop at the bottom (handle) end of the cable. Can any of you clever fellows tell me why they needed that extra metal lump?

Whenever I build cutaway handles with hard inserts I just build it as normal, and thread the cable through a piece of PVC tubing with some foam wrapped around the outside.
"As soon as you're born you start dying. So you might as well, have a good time."
-CAKE

I'm crazy not stupid. There is a difference.