topsecret

Freefly vs FeeFly jerks at DZ

Background
I have been freeflying for two years. I taught my self how to sit (no one to ask). My buddies and I sort of learned to fall straight down in a head down position...no training.
anyway the past year I have made great progess on my own, gettin free help from better freefliers and occasionally paying for caoch jumps from the likes of (Mike Swanson and Rook Nelson and other famous people...maybe 10 jumps in all)
I make an attempt to help newbies by giving them advice and making jumps (free) with low timers so that I can help them grow and not ignore them. I jump with one or two every weekend.
Problem
Our DZ has an instructor (not famous no AD ratings) who wants to start a freefly school. He has been telling me and the other 'good' freefliers not to jump with the newbies but send him his way. He accused me of taking his buisiness. He told me that I am not to discuss 'specific techniques ' with them.>:(
He never helped me and I pay my money to the DZ to jump just like everyone else. In fact he asked me If I want coaching and the sad truth is...he is not good enough to coach me (as in my money is better spent on someone who is reall really good).>:(
Many of the newbies can not afford his large fee and I want them to be good some day.:(
RW does not have this problem? Even on dropzones where instructors offer RW coaching it is not as expensive as the "all mighty" freefly coaching...and typically you can get good RW jupers to take low timers on 4 way etc and teach them the ropes.
What gives?
Does anyone have an opinion on how I should react to this situation...It would behoove me to stay in this 'instructors' good grace for political reasons, but..I refuse to not give advice to low timers.
Topsecret>:(
and really pissed

.02C= Screw that toad. Sounds like he wants to be a new Olav.....at least Olav is good.....LMAO No matter what people think about his money making endeavors. Skydiving is about doing it for the love of the sport. Teach the newbies and tell this guy to lick a nut sack. B|
"There once was a man named Enis.....B|"-Krusty the Clown
Clay

Another rare time that I agree with Clay....
If they are so clueless that they say the things you stated, then f*** 'em. I don't know how severe the "political" issues are, but go with your conscience and teach the newbie freeflyers if you want. They'll appreciate it, and you'll be doing both your sport and your DZ a positive service.
If they aren't good enough to attract enough students without strong-arming friendly "non-professional" teachers, then they wouldn't be in business long anyway.
Justin
My Homepage

Help the Newbies!!! People like you is what makes this sport great. The ability to pass down knowlege for the simple fact it makes you feel good and not expect anything in return. The guy telling you that you're taking buisness away from him is not teaching for the right reasons and should be stopped before he starts.
I, being a newbie w/ 33 jumps, found it a lot easier to make RW jumps. In fact my first RW jumps off student status was an 8-way with some real good RWs. For the rest of the day I made about 4 more RW jumps and had a blast ( thanks Roger and Rainbo!! ).
Freeflying has been a little harder to come by as far a jumping. I can talk body position all day on the ground but when it comes to it I'm doing a solo.
So, what I'm saying is keep teaching the newbies. It makes it better for everyone!!!:D
CHris
" You're so proud of your physique but you still want your cake. "- Jawbreaker

Tell him to chew the bark off your hairy log, shit if divers couldn't help newbies there would be no proggression it helps both the more experienced person giving the advice as it does to the newbies. Sounds like hes money hungry bitchass trick (no offence to the guy :) and as a newbie i know how expensive its to get started and that im grateful to more experienced skydivers helping me and for there advice. Pass on the knowledge.
Also don't you find it a bit shitty that in your opinion this guy is not even that good but would then be the only practical source of advice for students- does he want all the jumpers at the DZ to stick to there own and not talk (advice).
Fuck him, hay give him a second kick to the nutsack from me, again clay you have a way of puttin shit :) IF he really doesn't like it sounds like he'd be better off being a politician than an instructor.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I feel it is completely wrong for someone to tell you who you can or can not jump with. I personally love jumping with newbies, and giving them tips to keep themselves and those they are jumping with safe. Personally I don't want money to jump with someone who barely has any jumps. For me it is seeing that look on their face when for the first time when I let them go and they stick it. That moment when it just all clicks. Plus for me, when I jump with someone who is zooming across the sky and I'm chasing them it is also helping me get better. Bonuses everywhere.
I actually do both RW and FF, and I jump with newbies on both all the time. Heck if I hear someone around the the bonfire say all they've been doing is solos, I make a point of asking them on a 2 way the next day, doesn't matter to me what they want to do. It's all jumping out of a plane for me.
Kelli

You already knew the answer to your question before you even asked it.... do what's right not what's politically correct. F*ck the instructor, teach the newbie, the newbie has the right to the best instruction available.
"Stay high, pull low, sleep with your rigger's girlfriend.......that saying was a lot funnier before I became a rigger"

Tell him to chew the bark off your hairy log

It's hard to argue with good advice. I wish my Pastor had given me this advice when I was having trouble with a teacher in school.
But if I ever get audited by the IRS, you know what I'm going to tell each and every one of them.
flyhiB|

He told me that I am not to discuss 'specific techniques ' with them.

I'm with Clay as well - here borrow my wooden cloggs!

he is not good enough to coach me (as in my money is better spent on someone who is reall really good).

Believe me, newbie or not, they will get the message either by listening about what's being said about this "coach" or by just a jump with him. Show the newbies some home grown hospitality and jump with them whenever you want, it'll keep them coming back which is good for the DZ.
Diva

My dropzone is pretty kewl where you only have to pay the slot on the load for a training jump. My G/F is a packer so I normally throw in a pack job for free as well.
This guy sounds like he needs a bit of a kick up the arse!
Freemind, freesky, freebeer, freefly, freesex

Our DZ has an instructor (not famous no AD ratings) who wants to start a freefly school.

Tell your boy to piss off. Just because he wants to make some money does not mean that you are not free to do exactly what you like in the interest of helping others. You also indicated that he "wants to start" a school. If that is the case, you might want to beat him to the punch or just go straight to the DZO and inform him that this other guy probably does not have sufficient experience to be teaching anyone, therefore he need not get sole-provider rights.
Actually, this DOES happen in RW also. An example I will give are all the dropzones who affiliate themselves with Skydive University or any other knock-offs. If permitted by the DZO, these organizations will try to move in and monopolize intermediate training; often when they are not needed. I had a friend at Perris a few weeks ago tell me that the Perris school told him he MUST get his RW training through Skydive U. Of course they were telling him a lie just to hook their buddies up, which is a crock of shit in my book. This would never fly at our DZ because there are so many of us Instructors who freely volunteer our time to assist others. The only thing I have EVER asked of a group of jumpers is that they split my load if I am already busy doing something else. Other than that, if I am not doing anything in particular I always ask who needs some help and pay my own way.
Chuck
D-12501
My webpage HERE

Beginning of the year I was at Skydance and keen to try sit-flying. This experienced freeflyer (1 000 jumps) offered to make a jump with me. I offered to pay his slot because I had less than 30 jumps and knew I would screw it up. He refused and insisted on paying his own slot, said he was only returning what others had done for him when he was just starting out. He was working in construction, a carpenter or something, so its not like he was super rich either.
Anyway, my point is just I know who I respect in this sport and know that they will leave a great legacy behind. That *coach* of yours definitely won't.
/s
PS Justin, does your whyffo know about Clay???
lol
PPS What does Clay call a man with a small dick?
Justin!!!
:D

IMHO: the more you put back into this sport, the more you'll get out of it. People have always been kind enough to help me out and I love to help when I can. Though because of my experience level, isn't very often :)AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.