Slowfaller

Driving to work ponder

I always wear my seatbelt, if it's there for your safety use it!! It's like when I rode a bike I always wore my leathers.
One time I took it go and see a mate and as it was just on the other side of town I thought I wouldn't bother and just went in jeans and a jacket. I got to the end of my road and felt so naked without them I turned round, went home and put the full kit on.
About a week later I was sliding on my ass down a major motorway at 70mph, if I hadn't had them on there would be big chunks of me missing.
Nick

"Remember...Most accidents occur within 5 miles of your home."
I hate statistics....think about it people.....of any landmark, which one do you frequent the most????????? right your house........so if you get in an accident where is it statistically most likely to be close to????? right your house...
I can't believe they actually pay people to do stupid research like that!!!!!!!
SkyDekker
PS. just one of my pet pieves, I will stop fuming now :)"We cannot do great things, only small things with great love" Mother Theresa

I always wear mine, and I insist that any of my passengers also buckle up.
Didn't used to wear one ever, but shortly after I got together with my b/f he requested that I do so. It was a habit for me long before it became the law in California. Then one day I was driving along minding my own business when some uninsured dumbshit made a left in front of me. If I hadn't been wearing the seat belt I'd have gone right through the windshield... instead I ended up with only a sore shoulder. People at the accident scene couldn't believe I wasn't bleeding considering the state of my car. btw... it's worth the extra money for uninsured motorist coverage...
pull and flare,
lisa
--
"Where's my beer?" - Al Stephens

I always wear mine... I've been in two accidents where I was stopped and some doofus just slammed into me. Makes me a bit wary of other drivers.
Plus I tend to drive really fast sometimes... but I trust myself driving fast down an open road a hell of a lot more than I trust other people driving around me in traffic.
Marc
"Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal can be interesting, but what they hide is crucial."

Hell no! I want to be thrown clear!

Kinda funny... the same b/f who asked me to wear one drove a tow truck for a few years. He never wore the seatbelt in the tow truck, but always wore it in any other vehicle. Was driving up Highway 1 (south of Big Sur... twisty two lane road) and took a corner a bit too tight. Lost control and flipped a one ton tow truck off the side of the road. He didn't get thrown out, but he did manage to tuck himself down between the seat and the shifter; had he been wearing the belt he'd have been crushed cuz the roof over the driver's side was 2 feet lower after the wreck than before...
pull and flare,
lisa
--

when i am driving i rarely where a seat belt accept in Illinoise where they have the right to pull you over for not wearing it.. when anyone else is driving i always buckle up for some reason i have a fear of riding with other people but no problem with me driving i prefer to drive.

"You wear one when riding in other people's cars, but not when you are driving"
I know it sounds stupid.. but i just feel safe when i drive..
when i am in another persons car im actually scared so i buckle up. Iv been trying to remember to put my seat belt on all the time but never seem to do.

"I know it sounds stupid.. but i just feel safe when i drive.. "
That may be true Jab, but since I've been here (US) it seems that everyone else on the road is out to get me......No matter how safely I think I'm driving.
So its seatbelts, airbags, full face helmet, 2 audible altis, Cypres, and a large reserve for me....
here we go again........;)

I'm not in the habit of counting on Divine Intervention to save my ass......

We figure the only reason he reacted so fast and correctly for the situation in that accident was because he's a jumper who was kind of used to making life and death decisions for himself and reacting instantly while under the influence of adrenaline.
Up until that accident I used to give him a lot of shit about not wearing the belt in the truck. After that accident I shut the hell up about it. He had a valid point - if you've ever driven California Highway 1 between San Simeon and Carmel then you know that in many places the road is carved into the side of the hill anywhere from sea level up to several hundred feet. He felt that if he ever went off the side in one of those places he was more likely to survive by being able to get out of the truck up high rather than riding it all the way down - and if he didn't survive after exiting the truck at least he'd get in one last freefall...
pull and flare,
lisa
--

So do you wear your seatbelt? Any thoughts?

Always wear mine. I like it to be snug too; when I've got some good road I love cornering hard and fighting against the inertia, and having the belt lock and hold me in place. It reminds me of my canopy opening, and that's always a great feeling. Especially given the alternative. ;) It also reminds me a lot of rollercoasters and other thrill rides - and when I was little I was obsessed with Top Gun and always dreamed of being a fighter pilot, so driving my car right at the edge of its ability is probably just an extension of that dream.
I insist that passengers wear their seatbelts (with the way I drive sometimes, most don't need to be reminded). Once I was giving a lift to a classmate I wasn't very fond of. I asked her to buckle in, and she asked "Why, are you that kind of a driver?" in a nasty tone. I told her "No, but it's a small car and I don't want you to ruin my windshield." She shut up for the rest of the (mercifully short) ride.
PTiger