ADRNALN

Ann Margaret no Jane (ATB) Fonda

This was sent to me via email and I thought that I would share it with you folks.
Ann is one of the few! .....a letter from a Vet's wife
Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam
other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy,
8 x 10 black & white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margaret with
Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.
A few years ago, Ann Margaret was doing a book signing at a local
bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the treasured
photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.
When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the
bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking
garage.
Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign
only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted. Richard was
disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much
those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home.
Ann Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as 2nd in line, it
was soon Richard's turn. He presented the book for her signature and then
took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees
that she would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her
to see it".
She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said,
"This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign
his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have
time for "my gentlemen". With that, she pulled Richard across the table
and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to do about the
bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them,
and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among
those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he
was the only one there.
Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to
talk about it, my big strong husband broke down in tears. "That's the
first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army", he said.
Richard, like many others, came home to people who spit on him and shouted
ugly things at him. That night was a turning point for him. He walked a
little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been
a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margaret for her graciousness and how much
that small act of kindness meant to my husband. I now make it a point to
say Thank You to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces.
Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all those who have served
their country.
If you'd like to pass on this story, feel free to do so. Perhaps it will
help others to become aware of how important it is to acknowledge the
contribution our service people make

I still remember vividly the first time someone ever thanked me for serving. I was at a gas station in Champaign Illinois in 1991. Out of the blue some guy walking by thanked me for being in the Air Force. It was kind of a shock and I didn't really know what to say other than that I haven't really done any thing. Hell, I had only been in the Air Force about 3 or 4 months then. It was still nice to hear. It's even better when your in a foreign country and someone tells you that they are glad you're there. Had that happen in Korea once. So for those of you who haven't been in the military. Never under estimate the effect this will have on a young serviceman.
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

I was just out of basic and traveling through Washington DC in uniform. A couple of us went to visit the Vietnam War Memorial and pay our respects. It was very emotional since my father served two tours of duty over there, one in 66/67 with the 7th Cav and then the second in 70/71 with the 101st, and was a career sgt.(which meant I was a career dependent).
We were standing there and the way people were looking at us was very scary, there was a look that we were next when all of the sudden this older guy walks up and says "thanks" and walks away.
Freeflir is so right about how much something so simple can mean so very much and for so long.
Thank you all.

Not necessarily patriotic, just moved by the horror and waste of war. I visited some of the war graves in Europe this summer and the thing that struck me deeply was the ages of the guys who fell and the variety of countries they came from.
Got me really thinking about what I was doing when I was 17-19, and tried to imagine what it must have been like for these young men.
I also visited the Arnhem memorial / museum, which was well worth the effort.

I always make a point ta thank any vet/military I see,, I consider myself and friends fortunate to have been a lil young at the time of the Vietnam draft,, I remember when they did the "lotto" I would have been amoung the first ta go had I been a year or so older,, After Colledge I wanted ta be an AF pilot,, but had a DUI and they told me I couldn't,, but could be a co-pilot,, I was like,, F@ck you,, I can tellem where ta go but can't fly?!!? Many a my HS friends went military and either loved or hated it,, my JM's are all military,, my Dad was military,, again I feel fortunate ta never have witnessed first hand that fate,, and will always feel compasion and praise for those who have,,,

The first person that thanked me for serving was a young man working at a car dealership parts counter. When he had noticed my viet nam vet hat he said " thank you.". I didn't know what he was talking about then he pointed to my hat and said " my dad served in viet nam and said I should thank anyone I see who served or had served for protecting my freedom." I got kinda teary eyed. The first person to say thank you was the son of a nam vet not just the average person. But it made me feel good to see that this young man really knew what the price of freedom was all about and he was thankful for it.
Idiocy = Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Nice!
I've thanked several Vietnam vets and always got a kind of stunned response... which of course encouraged me to always say thank you when I meet anyone who served over there. I was born in '65, so I was really unaware of what was going on while the Vietnam war was happening, plus the whole subject was pretty much ignored in history class when I was in school. I had to learn about it on my own. I have so much respect for anybody who served my country during that time, much less put their own life on the line to help assure that I could grow up in a free country.
So... to all the Vietnam vets who are reading this - thank you! This may be thirty years late, but it is heartfelt and very sincere.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
"Where's my beer?" - Al Stephens

the only person who ever DIRECTLY siad anything like that to me was the guy who managed the guitar store when i was in GA. he said said "keep america proud" but he said it like I was a hero or something. i was like--uh, I'll try, thanks!"
but the weird thing was that this happens before sept 11th. so this guy was actually aware that the military existed. i felt wierd, like why is he telling ME this. but i did kinda fell a little prouder about my choice to serve.
Have fun, LIVE FREE, Skydive
JT