kingbunky

i love beer... here's proof!

okay, this is kinda geeky, but last weekend, i bought and installed quicken on my 'puter, part of a new year's resolution to get my finances in order (and prove to the wife i can afford a rig without starving us!). anyway, one of the things it does after you download bank statements is to look for patterns and suggest a schedule. some of the things were expected, paycheques, mortgage payments etc., but the one that made me laugh was it suggested i schedule a trip to the liquor store every friday. ah, progress!:S
"Jumping out of planes for the thrill of it all."
-J.Geils Band

unfortuneately, here in new brunswick we have to go to the liquor store, nobody else is allowed to sell it! monopolies are good when the gov't controls them i guess... it's a conspiracy i tell ya! :)"Jumping out of planes for the thrill of it all."
-J.Geils Band

Pennsylvania is not much better. Hard liquor and wine can only be purchased at a State Store (government run). And beer only from a licensed distributor or a bar (which is of course more expensive). The distributors and State Stores close early. Every time I’m out of state (most other states) it is like being in heaven, can walk into a groceries store at midnight to get what I need.
Larry

Wow, things are tight over there, I know petrol stations in the UK that sell beer.

When I first got to Germany I was only 19. The drinking age was (still is) 21 here. It was like being released from prison early. Of course I spent every weekend for the next two years in the bar district of Frankfurt (Sachsenhausen, probably spelled wrong). We all thought it was so cool you could get beer from a McDonalds, better yet you could buy it from a vending machine in our barracks.
Those were some great years !:D
Larry

beer and casey kreiner were a regular lunch for me

After I got out of that first tour of duty, I stayed on as a civilian. In a few of the many unskilled labor jobs I had, we too drank beer on our lunch break. Everyone really thinks a lot differently in Europe. Not to mention their views on sex, public nudity in the parks, the list goes on and on…
Larry

Larry, you are from right over the mountain from where I grew up. (grew up may be stretching it. I aged.) I lived in Johnstown for 19 of my 31 years.
It is weird going home and having to calculate where you can buy beer. I am so used to grocery stores and gas stations having beer until the clock strikes midnight (then the world ends as far as take home). I go up there and have to plan to hit a distributor before 6 pm or rely on bars. Although, BEER is super cheap in pa. I remember drinking 40-cent drafts all night at a bar when I was 19. I went back there a month ago and the price had gone up a dime.
mike
Black then white are all I see, in my infancy...

I lived in Johnstown for 19 of my 31 years.

I’m sorry to hear that. (just kidding) That is pretty close to Latrobe.
Personally I really don't like it around here much, but want the kids to have spent some time around relatives. I often wish we had not moved back and am sure we will move again.
Guess it could be worse, though I’m not sure how. :D
Larry

I second that. Jersey City is almost as bad as Newark, but is smaller and therefore easier to avoid.
What I used to really like is the smell on the Turnpike just south of Newark for about 5 miles (around exit 13?). My guess is that it's a tire plant or something, but when I had passengers, I'd tell them that's just how New Jersey smells. God, what a shithole.
Anyway, if you like to complain about asinine liquor laws, come visit me in Cambridge/Boston sometime. There are too many to list.
Joe

When I was in Okinawa, Japan...we had beer in our vending machines in the barracks. When we went on float to the mediteranean...I went to Austria for a tour...my favorite pic is of me sitting in Mcdonalds w/ BEER! Then...when I got stationed in Quantico, VA (TBS)....we had a bar in the lobby of our barracks...God bless the Marines Corps! Semper Fi!
**I'm a Pschydiver!
Majdi

I hear in Japan you can just get beer out of vending machines!

I don't know about Japan, but I drank a beer from vending machine in Germany. Nasty :(. It must have been in there for months.
One of the pizza places nearby would sell us beer with takeout, too. "Ich moechte zwei grosse Pizza mit... (Dude, how do you say mushrooms?) Pilz, und (How much do you think we can drink? 4 each?) 20 Bier, bitte." The chaperones did a remarkable job of pretending that they couldn't hear the bottles rattling around in our backpacks when we came back to the hotel.
--
Brian
Homepage