Krosfyah

does anyone else think this is cruel?

http://brontus1.homestead.com/photo2.html
I don't know - maybe the dog has fun. Thing is - it can't let anyone know, and we will never know if it is having fun or enjoying itself. I don't know about you but i think that it's pretty cruel of the guy to even take the dog up there once, let alone market the animal as his show piece.

I'm sure the dog loved it. We were having a discussion about this recently and someone brought up the fact that the military had to put in an SOP that said the dogs had to be hooked up before the door was opened. Apparently if you didn't hang on to them they would try to go without you.....My brother has a Jack Russel Terrier that I'm sure would love it!
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

I have grown up around dogs, and believe me, if you put them in a situation like this you will definately know if they don't want to be in it. Especially after the first time. After that first jump, if the dog didn't like it, you wouldn't even get to the plane before the dog started scratching and struggling like crazy.
Some dogs like water, some don't.
Some dogs like riding in cars, some don't.
Some dogs like skydiving...
"Can't keep my mind from the circling sky. Tongue-tied & twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I."

I don't believe that the he is being cruel to the dog. If you've ever owned a dog and driven with the pooch in the car with the window cracked open.......That is the happiest I have ever seen my dog, with his head out the window at 75 mph. Besides, there are owners that bring their dogs surfing with them, skiing with them etc, etc, it's not really any different than skydiving. I may be right, I may be wrong, but that is my two cents.
Cheers, Tom

well for some dogs this will be the largest window to stick their nose out and flip their ears and as soon you hit the ground they lick your face and run back to the plane.
For others you might feel something wett on your jumpsuit...
As they used to jump with dogs to go search in avalanges or in the woods I guess the dogs can get used to it.
...get ready to get burned later on today as all the hootch, lady and the tramp lovers will give you their 2cts worth...
blue ones
Phil

No, I don't think it's cruel. As was said earlier in this thread if the dog didn't enjoy it the first time ain't no way he'd have gotten back in the airplane for the second.
This has been discussed here and other places before. I always forget the guy's name (he's no longer with us, and no, his dog wasn't with him when he went in) but there was a guy who used to sit fly with his dog on a regular basis. Those who shared the airplane with them said that the dog appeared to be having a good time, would actually run for the plane when it was time for their load.
pull and flare,
lisa
--

This has been discussed here and other places before. I always forget the guy's name (he's no longer with us, and no, his dog wasn't with him when he went in) but there was a guy who used to sit fly with his dog on a regular basis. Those who shared the airplane with them said that the dog appeared to be having a good time, would actually run for the plane when it was time for their load.

Robin Wilcox. Man, that brings back a lot of memories. Pud (his dog) just loved jumping and the dang thing was altitude aware. Pud would start shaking his head when it was just about time to go flat and pull. Funniest thing I've seen. Pud knew it when Robin passed. You could see it on his face. Pud lost his master and his jumping buddy. It broke my heart to lose a good friend and to see his dog sad.
Chris Schindler
D-19012
ATP/CFII
www.DiverDriver.com

I'm a huge animal lover and I don't see a problem. I'd have the dogs heart checked out though. My dog had a bad ticker and toward the end of her life she was on heart meds and we were told not to let her get too excited. She absolutely LOVED to eat. She used to howl and dance around the kitchen at chow time. One day my now-ex-other-half went to feed Brandy dinner. She got so excited she had a heart attack and dropped dead. I was happy she went being happy.
Keith

There is a film canister of Robin's ashes sitting behind me on the bookshelf. They have been spread all over the world. We are going to let them go when we do Carter Wilson's next ash dive. They were both loved at SDD.
Sis
Fear not your death - fear having not really lived. Willie Sinsel, KS.

>i think that it's pretty cruel of the guy to even take the dog up there once, let alone market the animal as his show piece.
Naah. People use dogs to pull sleds across Alaska, sniff out explosives, chase bad guys, swim after birds, and ride in the backs of pickup trucks. In terms of danger, this doesn't even register on the scale, so I don't think you can claim that he's taking too many risks with the dog's life.
And seeing how dogs seem to be fine with sitting in a blind next to a shotgun, or sticking their heads out of a car at 80mph, or jumping off things onto people, I have a feeling he's not hating life when he's sitflying.
-bill von

If you've ever owned a dog and driven with the pooch in the car with the window cracked open......

Just out of curiousity, whot happens when you are in an accident or have to slam on your brake while dear poochie's head is sticking out the window?
This all ranks right up there with dogs in the back of pick-ups. It seems to me that jumping with a dog is for the owner's fun, not the animals....
Anne
What do I make? Teachers make a difference. What do you make?

He gets excited because he is a dog and he has gotten positve feedback in the plane before. The owner has taught him to enjoy that experience. I just don't think that the risks are worth it with a dog or a child....What if something goes wrong? We all make the decision for ourselves everytime we jump, but I just don't think that we have the right to endanger a dog or a child....
my .02
Anne
What do I make? Teachers make a difference. What do you make?

The owner has taught him to enjoy that experience.

I tried to leave this alone but I just can't. As a teacher you should be well aware that most of human conditioning is based on exactly the same thing. If your parents take you on rollercoasters a lot when you are growing up, you have a much stronger probability to be a rollercoaster enthusiast as an adult. If parents read to their children a lot while the child is young (and even unborn), the child will have a stronger affinity for reading and scholastics. That's just the way the brain works.
It's the same with dogs, they just have much simpler brains. So the owner has "taught" the dog to enjoy the plane and skydive. So what? The point is that the dog does enjoy it.
Interactions has to happen between a parent and child or a pet owner and pet, otherwise, the child/pet will develop into a mentally incomplete individual. It is only natural that some behavior will rub off and become acquired and enjoyed by the child/pet because of this.
"Can't keep my mind from the circling sky. Tongue-tied & twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I."