Vallerina

Pro-Track

My Pro-Track is basically brand new. It's been working great, and I've had a lot of fun with it up until my last jump. For some freakish reason, it didn't log my jump yesterday. The 1000 ft warning altitude warning went off in the plane, but my pre-set warning altitude didn't at breakoff. Could the battery already be weak after only a month of usage (on the Economy mode?) The logbook was on, and I hadn't changed any of the settings from the day before when it worked. What's wrong with it????? (My own disclaimer: I didn't post it in the Safety part since I'm obviously not dependent on it, and I use it just for fun; I didn't post it in the Gear section since it's just an accessory.)
"You laugh at me because I am different, and I just laugh at you."

Yep, dead batteries. The beep at 1000 was probally really long huh? Thats the sign that the batteries are going dead. As for short battery life? If you look at your LCD after every jump and use things like the loging software, it drains the battery quickly. I got 2 months out of my batteries during the summer jumping all the time and looking at tthe LCD every jump. I got 8 months only turning it on and looking at the LCD only once and a while and only adjusting it every few jumps instead of every jump.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

I got about two monthes off my first battery, significantly longer off my second batteries, which I bought at the local Radio Shack.
I think either L&B are going cheap on the first set of batteries, OR maybe the batteries suffer from sitting too long, OR suffer from the cold at altitude.
Anyways, the Protrack does give warnings on the screen when the batteries are weak. I'm guessing tha since you didn't mention any, you haven't seen any?
I've never had the protrack miss a jump...
_Am

maybe the batteries suffer from sitting too long

I think the sitting on the shelf argument is probably the correct one. Not a bad idea to ask the people you're buying from how often they get new units in prior to purchasing. Luckily the batteries aren't real expensive and can usually be purchased through your local Radio Shack. Also L&B are awesome about customer service; Val have you tried emailing them? I'd bet if you do you'll find replacement batteries in your mailbox pretty rapidly.
I've had my ProTrack for over two years and it's still on the original batteries.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
Life is tough, but I'm tougher

I do look at the display after every jump, but I've only jumped with it about 12 times or so. The book says it's supposed to last for 300 jumps or 1.5 years in the automatic mode, meaning much longer in the eco. mode. They put an extra four batteries in the box it came in, so I guess I'll try one of those out. Hopefully, this occurrence happened because of my Pro-Track sitting on the shelf too long, like you guys suggested. Arg......if that doesn't work, I can always talk to Larsen & Brusgaard.

Last 300 jumps? Yeah right. Not on the first battery set.
L&B truely does have top notch service.
This is just an example of why you MUST NOT RELY ON AUDIBLES. You must still use your visual alti, and you must still learn what the ground looks like at different alti's.
_Am

Normally, Pro-Tracks have their batteries in 'em when you buy 'em, so who knows how long those have been in there.....and who knows how many times the thing has turned on.. When I bought mine, it was in Automatic mode when I took it out of the box.. The batteries lasted about 4 months(around 150 jumps).. The last 10 jumps or so the low battery warning went off every time at 1000ft on climb, but I didn't have another set so I jumped it til they were dead..
Mike

Something else to consider is how you are mounting it. I'm now using the new metal clip. My Pro-Track started acting up, after a bit of fidgeting I realized that the clip was too tight and bent it out a little. Probably not relevant to your problem, but something to bear in mind.
Will
PS I can testify from personal experience that L&B's after-sales service is excellent!

I put my Pro-Track either in my frap-hat or in my Z1, so that won't be an issue for me. Also, I never actually heard the long beep at 1000 ft indicating that the batteries are low. There's also nothing on the screen saying that the batteries are low. I replaced them anyways, and I'll try it again in two weeks.

So will square one give me new batteries? just wondering Lisa.

Shoulda been a second set of batteries in the box... Square One won't but contact L&B and tell them what you just told us. Chances are very good they'll take very good care of you! Email [email protected] :)pull and flare,
lisa
--
Life is tough, but I'm tougher

L & B ROCK...I got my pro trac over three years ago...and only changed the batteries once in all that time...I did, however, have a small problem with the battery cover cracking...and L&B replaced it, along with new springs, batteries and all kinds of little goodies...it worked so well that it is now in the ear of someone else...(yeah, I gave it to my lady) and she loves it, too...
TripleF