Safelandings

N3, is it loud enough???

I was really considering the N3. But a friend of mine received his and we jumped together on a couple of two ways and neither of us could hear they alarms go off. He wasn't sure if he had it set right on the first jump so he went through it and thought it was good to go. So on the second jump we stayed docked together while the alarms were supposed to go off and still didn't hear anything.
We both have G3 helmets and wear foam ear plugs normally but not on these jumps. Is this altimeter loud enough? Or is it possible that he didn't have it set right?

Now I'm not sure if I should go with the N3 audio instead?

What are your experiences with this product?

Safelandings

I was really considering the N3. But a friend of mine received his and we jumped together on a couple of two ways and neither of us could hear they alarms go off. He wasn't sure if he had it set right on the first jump so he went through it and thought it was good to go. So on the second jump we stayed docked together while the alarms were supposed to go off and still didn't hear anything.
We both have G3 helmets and wear foam ear plugs normally but not on these jumps. Is this altimeter loud enough? Or is it possible that he didn't have it set right?

Now I'm not sure if I should go with the N3 audio instead?

What are your experiences with this product?

I hear mine with no issues. Got the little sound port facing your ear?
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Safelandings

I would assume he did because he would be looking at it upside down if it wasn't right. It was on his left hand.
As I said we usually wear ear plugs under the helmet but not on this jump. Do you have it on or in your helmet?

Wait, are you saying he was trying to use it as an audible altimeter in freefall but was wearing it on his wrist? You will not be able to hear the alarms in freefall unless it is mounted on the helmet somehow. Those who wear it on the wrist are probably using it mainly for the visual digital altimeter, plus maybe for alarms under canopy. But to use the freefall alarms it cannot be worn on the wrist.

:D:D This is classic. You said neither one of you could hear it.:) It is EITHER a digital wrist altimeter OR an audible altimeter worn in the helmet. You cannot hear the audible alarms when worn on your wrist and can't expect to.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

You need to spend some time learning your gear and how it works. Your profile says you have been jumping for 2 years. How could you have bought an audible and not have known how to use it? You list your main as a Pilot 190, they don’t make a 190. There is more to skydiving than falling out of an airplane.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Try his and see. I can hear mine with earplugs in both open faced and closed faced helmets, but I've never tried the wrist

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

mjosparky

You need to spend some time learning your gear and how it works. Your profile says you have been jumping for 2 years. How could you have bought an audible and not have known how to use it? You list your main as a Pilot 190, they don’t make a 190. There is more to skydiving than falling out of an airplane.

Sparky

To be fair, if you'd actually read his post you'd realise that it was his buddy who bought the N3 - he started the topic because he was considering buying one himself. He's trying to do the right thing by getting to know the gear before purchase.

I hope the original poster doesn't mind if I ask a question here.

I'm considering the N3 for my helmet because i like the idea of the countdown 10...9...8... in 1,000 foot increments as you are dropping. (I currently have an N2 Alti for my wrist)

My question for people that have the N3 is, do you use this feature and do you like it?

Does anyone else have a setup like that?

Does anyone consider having two altimeters from the same manufacturers a safety risk? (i.e. if they ever give a wrong reading both could be bad in the same way)

Alan

mcstain

***You need to spend some time learning your gear and how it works. Your profile says you have been jumping for 2 years. How could you have bought an audible and not have known how to use it? You list your main as a Pilot 190, they don’t make a 190. There is more to skydiving than falling out of an airplane.

Sparky

To be fair, if you'd actually read his post you'd realise that it was his buddy who bought the N3 - he started the topic because he was considering buying one himself. He's trying to do the right thing by getting to know the gear before purchase.

No to be fair he expected to hear it in freefall.:| In spite of once in a while being able to lip read
/shout in freefall and communicate you cannot hear something outside your helmet. And he still thinks an audible goes on his wrist.:S

To the OP an audible goes next to your ear. People have trouble hearing and/or noticing audibles in their helmet let alone on their wrist. You might be able to hear it on your wrist under canopy but that's not where an audible goes. There's another thread asking what you think the worst thread on dz.com is. I voted for this one.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

mcstain

***You need to spend some time learning your gear and how it works. Your profile says you have been jumping for 2 years. How could you have bought an audible and not have known how to use it? You list your main as a Pilot 190, they don’t make a 190. There is more to skydiving than falling out of an airplane.

Sparky

I think Sparky was being fair, even if his comment wasn't directed at the correct person. Between the 2 of them, neither knew how this piece of equipment they were struggling with worked, neither seemed to know that you can't hear things in freefall, and neither seemed to know what those "audible pockets" in their G3s are for. And the guy who asked the question doesn't know that he doesn't have a Pilot 190. This suggests that he probably didn't research or select the gear himself, and just let somebody else choose for him. At least we hopefully stopped them before they returned the N3 as defective.

To the OP, you and your friend do need to learn more about the gear that you use. Being new is not an excuse for being clueless about the gear that you wear, and you don't need a rigger's ticket to learn the basics. There are plenty of resources to do this:

1. Threads on here were helpful to me. In many cases, the manufacturer will answer you directly here.

2. The manufacturers' websites.

3. There are plenty of great videos on YouTube from DSE (a moderator here) at the PIA conferences in 2013 and 2011. He interviews the reps from various companies and talks about their latest products. These videos were gold to me when I was researching.

4. There are several books available to read on the topic of skydiving and gear. I've read at least 3; "The Skydiver's Handbook", "The Skydiver's Survival Guide", and "The Parachute and Its Pilot".

And FYI, you probably have a Pilot 188, the same canopy that I fly. Calling it a 190 makes it seem like you don't know what you're talking about. You didn't list your reserve in your profile. Is that because you don't know what it is? If not, find out now!

Yes, people are going to be harsh about this thread. But let this be your wake-up call. They are doing it because they sincerely want you to improve and have more understanding of the gear you use.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

To the OP. I use an N3 as a visual altimeter on my wrist. Even being half deaf due to my career in the army I can still hear the alarms half the time during free fall while wearing a G3. I can definitely hear them under canopy.
But if you want to use it as an audible it should be in your helmet.

mjosparky

Sparky

Thanks for your comment, it was really useful....
First off, when you read posts you should read ALL the words because if you would have, you would know that I didn't purchase one yet. If you would have read the posts correctly you would see that I'm asking questions to do some research ahead of time before I buy one. And secondly, I will study how to use it but that's usually a lot easier if I had actually bought one first.
And as for the size of the canopy, I know I use a Pilot 188. But when people ask what size I use I round it up to 190.

Again thanks for your post. It was really helpful

Safelandings

Sparky

Thanks for your comment, it was really useful....
First off, when you read posts you should read ALL the words because if you would have, you would know that I didn't purchase one yet. If you would have read the posts correctly you would see that I'm asking questions to do some research ahead of time before I buy one. And secondly, I will study how to use it but that's usually a lot easier if I had actually bought one first.
And as for the size of the canopy, I know I use a Pilot 188. But when people ask what size I use I round it up to 190.

Again thanks for your post. It was really helpful

When people ask me what kind of gun I have I use your rules as well and tell them I have a Glock 20 that's a 10mm

The reason I asked this question was because I assumed that if it offered the altimeter as a visual with free fall alarms, I assumed the alarms would be loud enough. I've never heard one go off so had no idea how high pitched it was. I also would have though that in the description, it would have stated that to hear free fall alarms in free fall it needs to be mounted on the helmet.

And for those of you who posted helpful comments and jumped to my defence before I had see the posts, I thank you.

I realize that this sport can be dangerous. I try to learn as much as possible so that I can make it safer for everyone who jumps with me. Which is why I ready throw tons of posts and ask question when I'm not sure about something.
Even though I got my A licence I still see myself as a student, but a good student who wants to do this for along time. I still rent my gear but I do have a helmet which I researched before I bought and now working toward the altimeter. And when I have the money for a canopy, I'll be asking questions on hear and to others at my DZ before I come to a final decision.
So for those who seemed to forget what it was like when they started. When they didn't know everything they do to day. When someone posts something because they don't know the answers you don't need to make them feel like an idiot. Because in my eyes the idiots are the ones who don't ask.

Thanks Kelly

Safelandings

=
I know I use a Pilot 188. But when people ask what size I use I round it up to 190.

Which makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about. There is no reason to do that in your profile. We're all skydivers. Tell us the model and size accurately, we can count non-rounded numbers, it's OK. It will build your sky cred.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

JeffCa

***=
I know I use a Pilot 188. But when people ask what size I use I round it up to 190.

Which makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about. There is no reason to do that in your profile. We're all skydivers. Tell us the model and size accurately, we can count non-rounded numbers, it's OK. It will build your sky cred.

Maybe he has two square feet?
So 188 above and two to land with?

Wait a minute.... your profile says that you have 39 jumps over 2 years and that your disciplines are freeflying and swooping.

For clarity:

There is a difference between the N3 and the N3-A (Audio).

I jump with the N3-A and it does indeed shout out the altitude every thousand feet, but it also requires HEADPHONES. There is no external speaker.

The plain-vanilla N3 is generally used EITHER as a wrist worn digital altimeter, in which case it is not being used as an audible. Or if it is being used as an audible, then it is inside your helmet and not being used as a digital altimeter. It cannot be both. Note also that the plain-vanilla N3 does NOT call out altitudes or speak to you ("breakoff, breakoff.. deploy, deploy") in free fall, it just beeps and shrieks alarm tones like a standard audible.

Not only to respond to the OP, but a general question: Do many people wear earplugs while skydiving? I can see wearing them in the plane, which I do (when I remember), but I take them off before leaving the aircraft.

Seems to me it would be harder to hear your audible with earplugs in, and B) harder to hear anything under canopy, which might be important?

Which is why I ready throw tons of posts and ask question when I'm not sure about something.

Keep asking questions. You're doing the right thing. And don't be afraid to come here. Yes, you'll get flamed by some, but others will answer your questions directly and honestly.
We are all engines of karma

Hellis

******=

Maybe he has two square feet?
So 188 above and two to land with?I guess he's including the slider in his equation...

ILUVCHUTERS

Not only to respond to the OP, but a general question: Do many people wear earplugs while skydiving? I can see wearing them in the plane, which I do (when I remember), but I take them off before leaving the aircraft.

Seems to me it would be harder to hear your audible with earplugs in, and B) harder to hear anything under canopy, which might be important?

If you had searched for it you would have found that most (or all) who jump with earplugs say they hear better with them in.

I wear earplugs at every jump I do to hear better.
I also wear earplugs all day at work, to hear better in the noisy enviroment...