Krosfyah

anyone ever hit a bird?

This isn't really a bird story, but I once read where a skydiver hit an airplane in freefall. He went through the fuselage and ended up inside. He later landed with the plane. He only had a couple of broken bones and was unhurt otherwise. I know this sounds kind of far-fetched, but I read the news clipping.

>A jumper hit the tail of a Cessna a few years ago. Took out
>the rear stabilizing wing (called an eleron?). The jumper lost
>a foot, but lived, the plane ended up going in. Not sure on
>the details, but it is a true story from what I have heard.
How about just last weekend.. 'door' was yelled by the JM, and I got an okay to go out first.
I climbed out (to practice a floating exit for the first time) and the second I got outside, the plane dove down like a fighterplane (c206). My feet came of the floor, and I was hanging from the plane upside down, while it was still diving. It recovered, but because of the sheer force I was flung off, I went over the back of the airplane, and banged on the 'eleron' with my whole body. I was real lucky because the heel of my shoe took 90% of the impact, and I have no broken bones, just a few sore spots and a realy stiff leg.
I turned my body around, and was looking at the plane from a slightly up angle (I got flung off with a lot of upward momentum I gues) and saw the rest of the load evacuate the plane.
Everyone came away unharmed, but the left eleron/stabilizer of the plane nearly came off, and has a dent in it which looks like a ton of bricks hit it at full speed.
Certainly something I hope to NEVER ever experience again...
JC

I know a guy who jumped from one aircraft and landed in another but crashing through the top..... he brokes various bones and shit and he was so dazed He tried to get out the other one!!...................
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

"Certainly something I hope to NEVER ever experience again..."
I sure hope there was a good reason for the erratic flying.....If it was just poor skill I think I would be beating the pilot senseless behind the hangar....:)"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

:I would be beating the pilot senseless behind the hangar....
I was glad to be able to hold up a glass of water without dropping it when I was back on the ground :)
Although I was pretty much in a normal heads-up state of mind when the whole thing happened (okay...climb out, put my feet the....WTF...hey, that's the top of the plane, HMPPFF, was that the tail...get stable...check altitude..pull) this all changed when I landed. About 10 minutes after landing my hands started shaking like mad and I got scared shitless (kinda stupid to get scared AFTER it happened)
I just sat on a chair and couldn't realy utter a word for the next hour or so...let alone beating someone senseless:)
:Why'd the pilot dive the plane like that?
He hugged me when he got down and was so happy I was alright.
While he had to make an emergency landing with the left eleron almost coming off, he never sayd a single word about that..he was only worried about me (and the other jumpers who had to do an emergency exit after that)
From what I understand (this was told me by the pilot and a few other ppl.) the plane was coming out of a dive (we had been circling the DZ due to a holding) when it went on jumprun and when the engine was cut it took a few seconds longer to bleed of the speed. The JM was WAY to quick with giving the okay to exit the plane. When I started climbing out this caused the plane to bank to the right (due to the wind I was catching with my body) and do other funny/scary stuff.
The pilot had to correct and prevent the plane from going into a stall, which he ended up doing by pushing the nose down (after which I got flung off)
According to ppl.who know waay more then I do, it wasn't the pilots error, but just a mix elements, a JM that was too quick with giving me the 'go' signal (I was the first jumper out) the plane coming out of dive at the start of the jumprun, and the 'shit happens' factor.
anyways...that's how it was explained to me afterward...
After an hour or so we did a reconstruction (on the ground, thank god:) on where everyone was in the plane, what everyone did, and how it could have happened, with someone from the safety-board/accident board present, and the event will be used to see if exit-procedure can be modified to prevent stuff like this happening again..
I'm can only thank god to come out unscratched, and hope my gf and mother never find out...:

Bar-headed Geese and Demoiselle Cranes may actually fly at heights of up to almost 30,000 ft. - that's more than 5 miles above sea-level! 
WHY?  Because, to get to their destinations, they have to cross the Himalayas!!
So I think it is possible to have a bird strike, but highly unlikely.
-Rap

Glad you are OK. I hate to dog the pilot but it sure sounds like he kinda let the airplane "Get out in front of him" Just happy no one was hurt and all will be better after that experience.
BTW...I still have shaky hands for a few minutes after landing. Always have. It's just the arenaline. In that case you may have gotten a bit of an OD...:)"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

:Ailerons are the bits on the trailing edge of a wing which
:cause the plane to roll (they're usually on the outside 1/2 of
:the wing). Is that what you were talking about, or did you go
:over the tailplane?
Sorry about that...I ment the whole tailplane yea :)
I hit it on the front side (big dent) en scrapped it on the top.
The whole thing came a few inches loose from the main body of the plane, and a few of the nails used to bolt together had completely come out.
Adrenaline OD....well..that's one more thing to scrape of my 'to do' list...:)
Gues I'll be 'a bit' weak in the knees next time I go up (especialy during climb-out), but I'm definately getting back up there in 2 weeks to properly do a floating exit..