Krosfyah

anyone ever hit a bird?

When chatting about jumping with some non jumping friends the other day, as uhhh you do from time to time :) one of them asked what happens if you hit a bird. I haven't ever heard of anyone coming into contact with a bird, but when i thought about it, i thought stranger things have happened and it might well be possible that this has happened.
Anyhoo, does anyone know if this has actually happened to anyone (god forbid, for both the jumper and birds' sakes)

Why do I have this feeling that somehow this thread will turn into something about sheep?
Nope, never hit a bird, or heard of anyone doing it. But, if you want to ask about people almost hitting planes, I'm the one to ask!
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

Birds aren't stupid....they move. I have witnessed a flock of geese scatter when they heard jumpers in free fall. I'd like to see someone catch a bird under canopy. I don't think it'll happen. Now occasionally Hawks and other birds will do a fly by or cruise along side you while under canopy.
"I only have 133 jumps, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

Clay, that was a serious answer on the "talk back" forum. Are you feeling ok? Did you bump your head or something today? Kind of a weird, Twilight Zone thing going on there for me!
Andrea

No...I'm stressing

See, now look how tuned in I am to your feelings, even over the internet. (Oh my God, is that ever scary!)
Hope things go better for you. Just remember, if it's meant to be, it will all work out.
Andrea

Now occasionally Hawks and other birds will do a fly by or cruise along side you while under canopy.

Just this weekend I had a hawk cruise by me while I was under canopy (at about 2000' no less).
As he went by all I could think "Man that's too cool. God I love this sport!" :D
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

I've never heard of a jumper hitting a bird in freefall. A Cessna? Yes. But not a bird. A jumper hit the tail of a Cessna a few years ago. Took out the rear stabilizing wing (called an eleron?). The jumper lost a foot, but lived, the plane ended up going in. Not sure on the details, but it is a true story from what I have heard.
"I live to EFS"
Tom