DiveRSQ

Soon to be addict needs some advice!

Hi,
My name is Jay and well, I’m going to be an addict. I might as well just admit it and get it out in the open. Whew! That feels better.
Anyhow, I'm a newbie jumper looking for a little advice, so here's my situation.
I live up in Connecticut where it seems the weather continually sucks. I recently got married and turned 31 to boot. As far as jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, well I did a tandem jump about 4 years ago and absolutely loved it. Even though it was a long time ago I still remember every bit of it, especially watching the Cessna bank off and flyaway, what a site that was. Anyway, finances at the time didn't make continuing much of a possibility so I put skydiving on hold for a little while, and sadly a little while turned out to be 4 years.
So the good news is now things are great. New wife’s pretty supportive and for a guy like me that says alot. She got SCUBA certified on our honeymoon (I was already), she won a Kawasaki 4X4 Quad in a drawing and gave it to me instead of selling it (yes it was after I said I do), she can go beer for beer with anybody I know. And just when I thought it couldn't get any better, what does she do?? She gives me a Valentines Day box of chocolates with a gift certificate for a Tandem jump at http://www.skydivect.com -- isn’t that sweet!
Well after a few thank you honeys 3:0:3 I talked it over with her and said I wanted to get certified not just do a tandem, her reply, "that's cool"... So we called Skydive CT and I can if I want, use that gift certificate towards the AFF level 1 jump. I still have the logbook from my first jump that says good for AFF. Although it also says I had a stiff exit. Hell yea I was stiff!
So here are my questions.
1. Anybody know if Skydive CT's Program is good bad great you tell me?
2. I thought about taking the Level 1 jump here and then going on a vacation and maybe finish the AFF classes at another DZ (where its warm!)
3. Is it even possible to finish the AFF course in 2 weeks say in Florida with good weather.
4. Or should I just stay up here in CT and learn at my hometown DZ seeing as I am going to be diving out of that one the most (for now anyway)?
Sorry for all the questions but if I am going to throw myself out of a moving aircraft at 13500 feet under my own canopy, I would sure like to know that the people teaching me know there shit ya know.
What do you guys recommend?
Thanks alot
Jay

Congrats on the new addiction!! Youre gonna love it, but you already know that dont you!?
First off, get that wife certified too. If you get way overboard addicted like most of us here, she is gonna beat ur ass for staying at the DZ too much instead of coming home occasionally. If she is there jumping with you she wont care!
1. I dont know a thing about Skydive CT's program, sorry.
2. Not a bad plan. Its more fun to jump when its warm.
3. Yes, its possible to finish AFF in 2 weeks. Depending of course on your finances. Those first 7 jumps are pretty expensive. You could conceivably finish in one week really, but why rush it.
4. The benefits of staying there to finish are that you will be training where you will be jumping. The instructors will know you and your training and can advise you better than if they have never flown with you before. Youre going to have a lot of questions and its easier to answer some of them if youve trained with someone. Also, the other jumpers will have seen you progress through your training instead of you suddenly appearing as a certified jumper and no one has seen you since your AFF 1. I took most of my training at another DZ and it took me a while to break in to the atmosphere here at my home DZ.
Best of luck to you Jay!
Blue Skies
JC

Sounds like you are sucked in already.
I'll echo SniperCJ on a couple things:
I don't know that DZ either.
There are substantial benefits to staying at one DZ from begining through getting your A license. Basically, they get to know you and often cut you a little slack if you need it. For example, if you go 35 days between jumps, they would probably let you jump. Delays often happen for financial reasons, which they understand. Skydiving ain't cheap! If you are a stranger somewhere, they are more likely to stick to the official deadline and make you do an expensive recurrency jump.
Once you have your A license, you can find a "home" DZ and settle in with the regulars, if it wasn't already where you started. You'll start seeing the same people and finding people you can easily jump with. For example, I've sort of settled in with a number of fellow "fall like a rock" jumpers. We do fine with each other, and provide a stable base for anyone that can catch us. That will make sense later, or if you read the boards enough. Basically, you'll get a comfort level from jumping with the same people over and over.
Good luck!
Justin

Ack! Another one! Don't do it, your bank account will hate you!;)
1) Don't know anything about Skydive CT's program... you might consider cruising out there some weekend, watch and talk to people, if you like what you see/hear make an appointment for the Level 1.
2) If you can afford to travel and want to get the whole thing done now while it's cold where you live, come to the sun!
3) Two weeks and a few thousand dollars and you can go home with or at least pretty close to an A license. There's a lot to be said for doing your student jumps as fast as possible. Florida, Arizona or California...
4) Learning at the home DZ is a good thing too, but weather wise it might end up taking you longer to get through it.
And like others said, get the wife jumping too! It's only money....
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

1. No idea.
2. Nice thought but save it for vacation next year when you are licensed.
3. Yes it is, but see answer # 2 above.
4. Yes stay in CT. Making friends with the locals from the very beginning will make the whole experience much more enjoyable and you will have friends for life. Showing up there with 20 jumps and a license will eliminate much of the bonding time you have to build relationships with the instructors and fellow jumpers that will be at your skill level. Have Fun!!!
Congradulations on the marriage! Sorry to hear you're getting so old. Don't wait so long between jumps. And about your wife-get her jumping too if she has any interest. In the interest of keeping this post positive I won't spell out the alternative ;-)
Opie
If your not on the edge, you can't enjoy the view!

Thanks for the advice, looks like im going to head up to the dz next weekend and check it out. The wife says she would be interested in trying it but wants to watch a few first. Although when I told her that she might be able to influence the pilot to give everyone some free alti for a quick peek at the girls she smiled and told me to get certified first and she would think about it :-)
Thanks for the Congrats Opie but what do you mean "SO OLD" 31 isn't that old!
Oh I have a few more questions.
If you have to cut away from your main what's the chance of ever finding it again? Do you have if found PLEASE CALL sewn in to the thing somewhere or what?
Do fresh AFF grads usually rent gear for a while to get a feel for what they like or is there a more standard way of figuring out what you should use? Also is used gear a good idea?
Is there anywhere on the web (maybe here) with pic's and descriptions of how to pack a chute and when do aff students start packing their own?
Thanks again for the info
Later
Jay

Most people who have cutaways find their mains no problem. Occasionally they end up in trees, Farmer McNasty's barn yard or the back yard of some asshole who'll insist you buy it back though....
Most dz's have rental equipment available. Renting is expensive though... most people buy their own gear when they have between 20-50 jumps. Used gear is a great idea; might take some time and effort to find what's right for you.
Packing is best learned hands on. There's a video available (Pack Like a Pro) that will give you some tips, but I found it was easiest to learn by doing it with some supervision. When you learn depends on the dz; some start teaching you the basics after a couple of jumps
Be sure to check out the Gear and Safety sections of this website (the links at the top of every page will take you there). Loads of info there :)pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

good idea kris- i think ill copy it!(but only i'll use my info if you dont mind)
about your addiction diversq-
congrats! you are about to change your life it so pretty awesome ways! and you will son find out( if you havent already) that skydiving is more then jumping out of planes. the community here is strong and you will find that you are more interested in living at 13,500ft then anywhere else. but its more then just getting high that keeps us here. its the common love for the lifestyle(some say sport) you will soon realize how unlucky whuffos are for being ground bound!
anyway, the best way you can get your certifaction is SAFELY and it looks like that is already #1 on your mind. follow your instincts and you will find the best way to get "HIGH" sorry i couldn't tell you anything you were asking!
getting high is fun, but coming down is the best part
JT

Does that mean I get beer or do I owe beer for that great idea :-)
Actually it was my wife's idea when I told her what they cost the thought of just having it flyaway seemed kinda nuts so she said we better J-proof all of it. (i leave things around every now and then ADD personality i guess)
She also says I should get "A loud beeping thing" to remind me to open my chute. Must be the mother in her lol