kmcguffee

TO WOMEN EVERYWHERE FROM A MAN WHO'S HAD ENOUGH

skymedic, I said about the same thing at first. I learned how to turn a wrench under a '73 SuperBeetle, but everything I learned transferred to my truck, a '98 k1500 (Chevy). The difference is of course fuel injection, a computer, 4wd, etc, but with a good shop manual, you can still do just about everything you need to do. You can even pick up a diagnostics computer for a couple hundred $$, so you can read the error codes right from the computer. :)"Wait...are you selling Penis Mighters?"

Volvos are definately one of the safest on the road. Funny, out of the 10 EMS people that I personally know, I think most of them drive Volvos...one used to be a big VW guy (old ones) till he saw a bad wreck envolving one.
Volvo: Steel cage on wheels, with padding.
"Wait...are you selling Penis Mighters?"

Nah....cause there will still be big rigs....I have seen far too many cars pull out in front of them....nothing like seeing the passenger door sticking out the drivers side door.....and the driver plus passenger stuck between the two doors out side the car......can you say splat.......
marc
BSBD

I used to drive a 1972 Volvo, and loved it. They used to have that sturdy steel feeling. Yes, it was a brick. You could stand on the hood or roof without it bending. The new Volvo cars just don't seem like they are built as solidly. They feel more like generic Japanese imports. I understand that metal thickness and sturdiness gave way to engineered "crumple zones" and fuel efficiency, but they don't give me a warm fuzzy safety feeling.
Seeing that I feel about the same in a Japanese import or a Volvo, I can't bring myself to shell out twice as much for the Volvo. Yeah, I'd pay more, but not that much more.
Heh. I suppose this has turned into a crotchety "When I was young, we had to walk uphill both ways in the snow" rant about the good old days. Damn, I'm getting old. :D
Justin

You obviously havn't seen too many modern vehicles lately

I work in the skydiving industry.... what makes you think I can afford a modern vehicle? :P I can do all of the above on the 1983 Ford midsize station wagon that used to be Gramma's... and that's all that matters to me :)pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

I drive a 2001 Acura MDX that has all the latest technology and safety features. Airbags with sensors everywhere. Solid vehicle. However, when I was on vacation this past Dec. I rented a Volvo S80 and I was quite impressed. It is definitely a solid vehicle and handles like a sports car. I could definitely get used to that car.
"I am a victim of my environment."
Chris

Cause it is a bunch of skydiving males...and if the subject isn't about skydiving then it usualy ends up about power!!! weather that be power tools(if ya gotta tool like mine, ya gotta build a shed to cover it) or CARS......which mine has pwenty of power.....
and jason....in my line of work.."sturdy" cars=BAD....engery is absorbed by you, and your family.....
marc
BSBD

Cars...or boobies!
Here's a wee bit'o history for yas. My children's father( ehem)
is one of those 4th generation hand me down car dealership owners....you know the one's that have every line of car available? aka mega dealers.....anyway, I have owned or driven just about everything that's out there. It is true that Volvo has an excellent reputation for engineering and safety. It is a fine automobile, (and I do have some knowledge of road pizza too!) As for me...I will keep my suburban cause that makes me BIGGER! NOW get outta da wayyyyyyyyy!
It only takes a little pixie dust......