AndyMan

One reason why I don't like Skydive Chicago.

I only made one jump there at Summerfest last year. Mostly because it was just too hot, but to be honest it was more than that. I didn't feel like anyone was looking out for my well being. I remember a chick who seemed to have a broken wrist coming into the rigging loft with her gear, and then going back out to look for her freebag and main because nobody else would do it. Contrast this with Quincy, where the safety people were in the corn looking for my freebag before I could even get out there.
I'm not trying to bash the place. I know there are some good people there. It was just a feeling that I and my traveling partners all seemed to have.
The Dutchboy
Phil's Flying Enterprises, Inc.

Last summer durning Summerfest i got hosed on a spot and ended up landing down near the road, about half way between the road and the rundway along that grass path actually, well during landing I got cought up in the beans and it knocked the wind out of me HARD.The impact was enough that it unzipped my jumpsuit, tore my shirt, scratched my helmet and bloodied my face and lip. I layed there for about 3 minutes catching my breath, then got up, and hobbled all the way back to the hanger. Thats a really long walk in the middle of summer with a swollen knee and the hot sun beating down on you. Not one person checked on me and flights were taking off above me when I was hobbling back to the runway. Take it for what you will.....
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

i was at my dz today(gold coast skydivers) and we ha d a student loose radio contact we watched as she went over some high tension power lines she stayed over them for a while then turned right in to some woods me and five other jumpers jumped in to vehicles as soon as she was out of sig ht headed in her direction we found her in a clearing standing up still in her rig(parachute was snagged in a tree after landing)she was all right i called the dz to tell them she was ok i always keep my cell phone with me so that helped
we care about our skydivers it might have been a fluke at sdc
(roger and co. seemed good people when i met them)
find out the manifests story see what they say
this space for rent........

Also Skymedic...
The shooing away was not to keep you from helping, it was to keep you from running right in front of the Otter with an open canopy, which was idling on the runway. That we could plain as day from where I was at.
They would have been calling an ambulance for you if not the coroner.

First off I saw the otter, it was more than a 100ft. away and knew i wasn't in any immediate danger...I am a comercial pilot and understand the pointy end of the plane...i also saw an injured jumper....I am medicaly trained...having worked on both fixedwing and rotor wing aircraft...so my instinct is to help first....I saw "Jeff" getting up so then I turned around and left.
marc
AOL-skymedic5
Yahoo-skymedic5
[email protected]

>>First off I saw the otter, it was more than a 100ft. away and knew i wasn't in any immediate danger...I am
a comercial pilot and understand the pointy end of the plane...i also saw an injured jumper....I am medicaly
trained...having worked on both fixedwing and rotor wing aircraft...so my instinct is to help first....I saw
"Jeff" getting up so then I turned around and left.>>
But did you see there was ANOTHER plane on final? That was me. Very dangerous situation to have a flapping canopy right next to the active runway with a plane landing. And the Otter was not in a hurry - he radio'd me to taxi in ahead of him once the taxiway was clear, which I did.

<>
Maybe you didn't notice the other plane on final approach because you were busy with Jeff. I was the pilot of that plane. The situation (an usecured canopy on a windy day immediately adjacent to an active runway) was hazardous both to the people on the ground and to me, and since the Unicom person was coming out to deal with the jumper they were not in a position to alert me.
<>
That is completely bogus - they were not busy (as you well know) and the Otter pilot was not in
a hurry, once the taxiway was clear he even radio'd me to taxi in ahead of him, which I did.

Can't say that this is typical for most DZs.
My last weekend at Skydive America a first jump AFF student ignored the radio and went down about a half mile off the DZ into the sugarcane. The pilot did several power dives onto her position to point her out, landed back near the manifest so one of the local guys inside could grab a spare chute and took off with him for a 2.5k hop and pop over her position.
She wasn't hurt and was talking on the radio.

In response to:
"I remember a chick who seemed to have a broken wrist coming into the rigging loft with her gear, and then going back out to look for her freebag and main because nobody else would do it. Contrast this with Quincy, where the safety people were in the corn looking for my freebag before I could even get out there."
This is a friend of mine... she did injure her wrist - not broken, choose to go look for it herself then as she had no idea where it was, therefore couldn't enlist help at the moment.
The next morning, before the first load - Roger took her up in a cessna to see if they could locate the freebag and pilot chute - but they were not able to.
I think Summerfest was great - but that SDC was perhaps not quite prepared for the number of people that showed up - perhaps this year they will have 'safety people'. Of course that doesn't affect the situation this weekend...
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

we've been through this before... you're never going to convince the sdc regulars that there's something wrong with any part of their dz. SDC does sometimes seem too big for it's own good, things like this happen. If you donm't like that, don't jump there.
I love my dz - the total opposite of the way sdc is. I think I had almost every person on the dz trying to help in some way yesterday when I got injured. I think they were fighting over who would get to take me to the hospital, and I had 3 people just hang out with me at the hospital, and a number of people stop by to say hi (and take pictures.. bobo you ass) And somehow, all my gear and my car ended up back at my house before I did.
Never argue with stupid people.They just drag you down 2 their level & beat you with experience

Nationals, interesting... thats an understatement. The members meeting is going to be during the same time and Summerfest is only a few weeks before it.
I just find it interesting that that most other DZ's get slammed all the time around here and no one says anthing much about it. Just look at how much flack Deland has been taking on here, but as soon as something is said about SDC, people flock to protect it no matter what they are arguing about.
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

Alright, that's enough. Just because others are offering more accounts, and we happen to be regulars at SDC, doesn't mean we think that nothing can ever be wrong there. A post was put up about why Andy Man doesn't like SDC. But in a later post he says he's not "anti-SDC". If he's not "anti-SDC" then the tone of his post has been misconstrued.
Now, I sent a PM to Andy about why the guy on the golf cart took as long as he did to get out there. I believe Andy was satisfied with that in his response to me. Could the guy on the golf cart have asked a better question first? Yes. He could have and probably should have. This subject is not going to be swept away. But don't imply that we are some sort of cultists just because we offer more information from different perspectives than the original post.
I believe we just went through a thread on an otter running out of gas during a formation load. I believe as more information came out and others posted on it we learned that the original situation was not as serious as previously reported. The subject was dropped. No one faulted the posters who gave different accounts of what happened. And it was nice to clear the subject. Can you see where I'm going with this? Maybe there are reasons why people reacted in the manner that they did. We all bring our different perspectives to a situation as it happens.
Personally, I have had streams of people go running over the runway just as I was touching down. This is very dangerous. As an operation, you don't know the personal backgrounds of each of the jumpers. So if they don't know you have advanced medial training they will act like they don't want you in a dangerous situation. May I remind you of the prop strikes? The perspective of the person on the golf cart may have been totally different from the others involved.
So am I rambling here or am I just another one of "those people."
Chris Schindler
ATP/CFII
D-19012

Chris -
This is going to keep happening to SDC. SDC is a huge dropzone, and with that come a lot of responsibilty. People are going to watch for any litttle screw up. Sometimes SDC does screw up, and sometimes it's just different views that can make it look like SDC screwed up. You have to be perfect or you're going to get stories like this. Maybe SDC is still maturing, and in the future we'll see less of these. I think the regulars religiously defending SDC makes it worse. Let me explain - when something there does actually go wrong, people still try to defend it. Makes you lose credibility. When you screw up, admit it. People will be more prone to believe you when you're rightly defending your DZ.
Did that make sense? Or did that come out more harsh than I intended?
Never argue with stupid people.They just drag you down 2 their level & beat you with experience

Chris...I can understand why the guy was telling me to get back...and I did after I saw that the skydiver was getting up and ok. I did have an interesting first day out at SDC and want to make it my home DZ...but I hate to get flamed when I still do not believe I did anything wrong....
marc
BSBD

I'm a regular there, and I've only noticed a few (very few) people there who are anti-SDC.

I try to keep up, but the signal:noise ratio is just too harsh. I'd love to meet TandemTerry. Every time I meet a Terry I ask if he's him. This almost caused a brawl once...
This thread has gone in places I didn't intend, and I think every worthwhile point has been made. I'll be back at SDC, but will be sure to look out for myself, just like I always do anyways.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

I remember 4th of July 1998 out there. There was a DEAD BODY about 30 - 40 feet off the runway and the planes flew like nothing happened. Wouldn't you think being so close to the runway they would have waited till he was picked up by the corner? The incident your refering to was costing the dzo money by blocking the runway.
Terry

Accounting out there??? Look at the dead girl last summer that was out there for a couple of hours. Or was she a live and died waiting for help? Anyway they FINALLY noticed her missing and finally found her dead. That was NOT the first time somebody was missing and turned out to be dead or injured out there. Guess you guys are finally learning what that place is REALLY all about.

Terry,
Warning in advance. This is not rec.skydiving. These are moderated forums, which means if you make claims about any DZ you better substantiate it. We're all aware about your issues with Roger and SDC. Because you seldom pass up on an opportunity to bash him on rec.skydiving your opinions on that DZ in this forum will carry little if any weight. It's simply too one-sided, unbalanced and obviously bias.
I will simply not tolerate any of that over here. Substantiate your claims or keep quiet. If you don't like that... there's always rec.skydiving where people don't really care too much about the accuracy of information. Cheers!
Safe swoops
Sangiro