Vallerina

Arizona rocks!

I just got back from my wonderful vacation to Arizona. Lotsa jumps, losta beautiful scenery, lotsa beer. Here's my little sum up of my awesome trip:
Coolidge: Mike Mullins is a groovy guy! The other regulars there watched out for me and constantly gave me tips on safety in the sport. By the end of my time there, Coolidge had developed more of a home-like feel to it. I also ran into Adam (flyboy62000) there, so that was a weird coincidence.
Eloy: It was easy to take my grandma there since they have everything under the sun, and she could remain entertained (especially after she had a couple of drinks at the bar!) It's a phat set-up they have there! I got a little "lost in the crowd" type of a feeling there; not a big deal since I was expecting to anyways. But, the people there were helpful (especially when my canopy got tangled up in a tree.)
Grand Canyon: The highlight of my trip. If you haven't seen it, book your next flight there! I convinced my "scared of heights" grandmother to take a helicopter tour of it, and she said that it was the most beautiful thing she's ever seen.
So, that was my trip! Too bad there aren't any actuaries working in Phoenix, otherwise I'd be there in a second. I love AZ!
"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes." Oscar Wilde

I'm with you!! I love Arizona. I can't stand all the cloudy, rainy, damp days here in Washington state. I have a son that lives in Arizona, so every chance I get, I'm there! I'm going next month, as a matter of fact! Grand Canyon is awesome.
Sunny skies!!! That's for me!
J

I can't even get my parents out to the dz, let alone my grandma. They say "it's different when it is your child jumping, you just can't watch that." I hope to get them out this summer. That is one cool grandma.
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.

Hay Val!
Glad ya had a great time,, now ya sure ya don't want to go back over Easter!! We have 5 jumpers from Spokane goin so far,,, The Grand Canyon is awesome,, glad ya had the chance to fly around in it,, ya just can't appreciate the size standing on the edge! and waking up at the bottom after drinking beer all night in Flagstaff is not recommended,,,
Don't read this shit down here,, it's nonsense,,,

Yes, my grandma is a pretty cool chick! She enjoyed hanging out at the dz all day. She takes care of our elderly uncle at home, so sitting at the dz gave her a break from all of that. She had time to just sit, read, and chat with strangers. She also took a ride in the Super King Air! It scared the crap out of her! Everyone at Coolidge was great to her. She's even contemplating leaving the plane the next time she's in it.
Yeah, I came home to cold and overcast, wishing I was still in AZ....
"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes." Oscar Wilde

Sounds like you had a great trip! Good to hear, glad you had fun! :)Just curious....

(especially when my canopy got tangled up in a tree.)

...how'd you manage that?
Oh, and I know how great it is to have awesome grandparents....my parents loathe my skydiving habit, but my grandparents fully support it, and my grandma has actually asked to come watch for a day sometime!
"If I could be like that, I would give anything, just to live one day, in those shoes..."

"She has to be joking...I don't think Arizona has trees.."
Coconino Plateau,, starts west of Flagstaff and runs almost to New Mexico,, one of the largest Ponderosa Pines stands in the country.. musta been a lousy spot

glad ya had a good time val......... wish i could a been there but i'm sadly stuck here in florida with the humidity and 80 deg. weather...and it's overcast........
i have only seen the grand canyon once and it was from the back cockpit of an f-16 doing 400knts. at 1000ft.... they wouldn't let us go lower.... must a been cool to actually get to see it close up and relitvly slow........ monument valey in az is also cool..... and the meteor crater is a must see......(saw those from the air to, would of been cooler from the ground i think)........

"i may not go to heven, i hope you go to hell"-C.C.

I would love to go there.. I jumped at Mikes DZ in Tn.. His whole family is pretty cool.. Had a couple steak dinners at him and his wife Andrea's house in Tn. with the rest of the regulars in Tn... What is he charging for jumps out there??
Rhino
Semper Fi !!!!!
http://www.aahit.com

brings back memories!!
The Grand Saguaro Cactus!! grows like an inch in a long ass time,, Stroke Stroke Stroke,, Meteor Crater,, a big asshole from a little ass rock,, now the back seat of a jet like that,, cool,, did ya see them all on the same day Wings??

I live in Flagstaff, AZ now--former Chicago native (Skydive Illinois). The great thing about Arizona is we have about 5-6 different ecosystems from low desert zone all the way to Alpine zone (Humphreys Peak @ 12000 ft MSL). We just got about 4" of snow last night here in Flagstaff @ 7000 ft. Eloy is at--as I recall--1500 ft MSL. It's strictly LOW desert.
I'd like to know, too, how did you get your canopy stuck in a tree???
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Joe E Lewis