airdrew20012001

Crazy Tandem

I was shooting tandem yesterday and saw the following: as the student and jump master exited the cesna the students foot caught the strut right above the wheel. The two did 6 and 1/2 cartwheels before they settled enough to dump the drouge. The look on the jummasters face when i caught up to them was priceless. The jummaster is way experienced (ie more than 5000 tandems) so it was just one of those things. Funny as hell though.
My querry is this: anybody every first hand seen a side spin? I watched the side spin video last week (no, I will never be a tandem master), pretty hairy shit.
Drewfus McDoofus

A spin that can occur with tandems were the centrifical force of the spin you are in makes you pass out, forces all the blood in you bodies to you etremities until your AAD goes of or you burn in.......
Um nasty shit.......Thats why when I have students beg to do flips I say sure then get out stable then ask them how many we did on the ground and they usually say one or two.......
I wanna live.........
Sebazz.........

what exactly is a side spin on a tandem and why is it so dreaded.

When the student puts his knees down, keeps his arms across his chest, the instructer gets big and the relative wind hits the pair in the side. It turns them into a giant propeller that increases in speed and seperates the student and jm at the connectors. One they showed was so fierce it collapsed the arches in the jm's feet from the pressure of the blood being forced into the bottom of his legs.
Drewfus McDoofus

I watched the Tandem Video they show during the rating program and it was pretty scary the kind of stuff that can happen. Oh well, one day I will have to look out for them. I have to wait another two years so I have the three years in the sport qualification.

A few years ago I took a tandem out of a cessna once under a similar situation( hmmm maybe it's the cessnassss????) and got myself into the start of a side spin. I used the drogue to dump out of it quickly though, but DAMN!!!! You watch the tape during training and it's scary looking and it makes you sweat. . . but it's absolutely horrifying when you actually feel how quickly it starts . This among other things is why I stopped doing tandems after only a year. But it's nice to say I did them for a while ;)
~~Zilla

Sorry Dave... only way to see the Video is to sit through a Tandem training class. The video has 2 incidents on it and they are not overly fond of the idea that whuffos getting a hold of the video to end the tandem programs....
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

Only people that should have a copy of the tapes are Tandem Examiners. Not many copies of the tape have found their way down to regular jumpers.... and thank goodness for that... The entire tape was enough it scared me away from doing Tandems completly....
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

ONLY AS LAST RESORT do you dump the drogue. The proper way to get out of the side spin is to bring your legs in and match the students. This should help give you a chance to do a half roll and then dump the drogue while face to earth. But, if you've tried that and nothing is working and you are running out of altitude then yep, you got do something to survive.
Avoiding the side spin is the key to it all. In the training course we were taught that side spins usually were traced back to poor body position of the TM on exit AND loose lateral attachments to the student harness. This was the most common cause. I was amazed how tight I needed to get the laterals during my training. Just when I thought I had it my instructor Kirk said "Great, now get them tighter." Then he proceeded to get me on the floor by stepping back on my foot and as we fell I cut the back of my hand. But, I'd rather do that with an Instructor all at once before dealing with the real thing and wondering about it.
Chris

Driver driver is right, but I still say get em tight, get stable and get the drogue out fast and the side spin phenom should not happen.............
And only examiners have those tapes. Definately don't want those circulating around.
Sebazz.........

anybody every first hand seen a side spin?

I saw the video of the drogue side down side spin that I was in... It is indeed some scary shit, but there a couple of ways out of it. I used the "all control surfaces (arms and legs) in, remove arch" method and if I remember correctly we came out of the spin and were belly to earth again within 6 more revolutions.
The look on the video guys face when he caught up to us was priceless... the big hug he gave me after we landed was too.
pull and flare,
lisa

I was drogue down too, but I did not let it get too bad. I got into the best track I can ASAP and we were back face to earth in no time. The whole thing from leaving the plane till we were stable took only about 3500 feet. I had us stable and threw the drogue at 10 grand.

Nice going Lisa. You handled that really well. I was surprised that the whole thing only took me 3500 ft. I thought it was way longer than that. I guess my brain was just really working in overdrive at that moment. I heard an examiner's voice in my head that said "when in a spin - track like hell" so I did.