Is this a good deal for a 1st complete rig?

It looks pretty decent to me........
http://marketplace.amazia.com/para-service/prodinfo.asp?cn=99031&sku=SPO3&page=9001&pagenumber=
all for about £1500. No CYPRES but then we cant have everything can we?
What do you guys think? What are the downsides to this deal?
Thanks for the advice all!

Dophins are ok. I have a couple of friends that jump them for freefly and they work.
If you are adding a cypres to that, it'll come to £2100. You could get a 100 jump Vector3/mirage/jav rig for that (and a bit) and get the extra brand/quality/resale that comes with it. There are some dolphins for sale in the classifieds.
Dropzone Classifieds
Just my 2p.
Rob/n9

Talk to Freaksis, she bought this rig right off of student status. Its not a bad deal, but IMHO I would save some $$ and buy a better container. Dolphins are good containers but you might want something with a better resale value and some extra features for FF.
"Are they short-shorts?" T.B.

Dolphins are good containers but you might want something with a better resale value and some extra features for FF.

i didn't look at the ad so i don't know what condition the rig is in. but consider this. a dolphin in good shape may only be worth $400. but after 200-300 jumps if it's in good shape you can still get $300-$400 for it. a name brand container could cost around $1200+. after 200-300 it's worth a few hundred less.

Before you buy your first rig, ask yourself "am I going to outgrow this canopy in 30 jumps?"
When I first started I jumped big student rigs for 15 jumps, then went down to a 265 and a 219 for about another 30 jumps, and settled into my 195 after about another 15 to 20 jumps. I've gotten about 60 jumps on that canopy and plan to keep it for another 50 to 100 jumps before downsizing.

>Before you buy your first rig, ask yourself "am I going to outgrow this canopy in
>30 jumps?"
If so, that's probably a good first canopy. For 30 jumps you are learning to handle it, then you're ready for something smaller. While saving up for that smaller canopy, you have a canopy you can still learn a lot about, and that will land you safely. That's a pretty good position to be in.
-bill von

That's true, Bill. I was thinking along the lines of buying a new rig, putting a low number of jumps on it and and then taking a big hit when you sold it barely used. Course, 20 jumps on a rental is still $300 to $400, so if you could take a smaller hit selling the new rig it would come out in your favor.
I rented for those first 30 jumps and managed to find a good, used 195 with a new Cypress for a lot less than if I'd bought that 265 and sold it after two months (it was overpriced).

Pisser that they are going to upcharge you for a reserve larger than a tempo 120, which is small depending on your weight. My principal concern is that I have looked at Dolphin containers and they seem cheap to me. I'd go with what others have said and say to get a used javelin, for example, with a PDR 190 (very few subterminal opneings or none preferred), and a used main that is absolutely the largest thing you can get in the rig. That way you can downsize at least one time without getting a new rig.
But hey, that's just what I think...
Drewfus McDoofus

I have a Dolphin. I Free Fly it every weekend. Haven't had one single problem. I'll replace it one of these days but I'm certainly in no hurry. I would fly that Dolphin over a Wings ANY DAY!!!!! :)My gear purchases....Dolphin container(DOM (95), PD 190 main (Less than 100 jumps. Looked like new DOM 95), and Swift 5 cell reserve(DOM 86, 0 jumps). $1000. Replaced reserve with a PD 176 at first repack cycle for $500. Sold the Swift for $250. Replaced the PD 190 with Stilletto bought for $900. I haven't sold the 190 yet but regardless I don't have much money in my rig and it gets the job done well. I have had lots of money left over for jumps that I didn't spend on fancy new gear.
"It's OK because I like the abuse!"-Offspring