dbattman

Dropzone Intimidation

So here it is- I'm on vacation till middle of next week visiting my parents. Combined this trip with some company travel so I not only saved my boss $100s but I get him to pick up the rental car for the duration (yes, he know about it).
This is going to be so friggin' cool. The car is packed and I've got my route planned out to The Ranch where multiple Super Otters await me for two or three days of fun fun fun. And it's all only six hours away. Yippee!!!
So, why the hell is the car still sitting in the driveway?
Turns out after going 15 minutes on the Thruway I felt pulled by some irresistible force to Ovid, NY (1 hour away) to fill out the forms to jump the single cessna. And the best part is, they're not even jumping during the week yet. They normally have a Porter for the season but the lease isn't happening this year so they're working on the Queen Air.
Ah F*@#$% Maybe it was the sudden improvement in the weather up here, the long drive, or just being sick of travel with the job. But the bottom line is- I'm a total wuss and talked myself out of it. Still not sure why, but only thing I can think of is the shear size of the place freaked me out.
So. I'm going to take my p*ssy ass out to cut my Dad's grass and play my Bro's playstation tonight. Hopefully the weather is good enough tomorrow to jump that absolutely rockin' cessna. So if you see me out at a DZ some day, ask me where I left my pink helmet.

Man, what the f*ck is wrong with you?? ;)
Put your sorry ass in the car and drive to the DZ!! Once you're there you'll see you're stressing over nothing. :)See the pretty little puffy clouds . . . hey, wouldn't it be great to see your shadow below you on one?
Dude, one foot in front of the other will get you there!
Diva
There may even be boodies!

Seriously, get your butt out there. I have been to more DZ's in the past year than I care to (or can) count. They are all pretty similar. Take your rig with packing card to manifest, your USPA card, your logbook and about 100 bucks. They will love to see you. Get your DZ brief. Sit and watch a couple of loads (where and how they load, where they land, the wind direction, general layout) and then get on one. You won't be sorry. What's the worst that could happen? They could ask you to front float on an Otter your first load.;)
Go jump for all those people who don't have access to an Otter. It's your duty!
flyhiB|
"To understand Mankind, you must look at its two root words; Mank and Ind."

Get in your car and go. The ranch is at the top of my list of favorite DZ's. This place just exudes laid back coolness.
You'll meet excellent people, you'll do some kick-ass low preasure skydives with people who want to help you learn.
I did my first sit-fly at the ranch when I was in NYC on business. Some guy I'd never met took me out on my first jump and tought me how to sit. Cool, eh?
So it's a great DZ with some of the fastest Otters around, and Gardiner is absolutely beautiful. The people ther are excellent. What else do you need?
Go, you won't regret it.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

I am one of the souls with no access to a bigger and better plane. Do it for me!! I just have to do the paperwork for my A, and then I'll be the one feeling intimidated! Good Luck!
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.

Any dropzone that doesn't welcome new jumpers, regardless of experience level, have issues. Unfortunately, there are plenty that have tight clics, and can make new/low time jumpers feel unwelcome. My advice, walk on the DZ confident, but honest. Have fun!!!

Thats one thing cool about Skydive Atlanta. The very first time I went there Doug Glover was doing some organizing and since I was a new face he made sure that I went on a load. This was when I was still trying to jump the double zipper suit and Dutchboy and I went low. I think thats the last time I ever jumped with him. Have flown several differen't aircraft with him though. Probably scared him a couple times....:)"It's all about the BOOBIES!"

Go to the ranch! You won't regret it. My first time there, Sonic gave me BOC training and went with me on the first jump. The next time the girls in manifest remembered my name and Max Cohen asked me if I wanted to do a hybrid jump as one of the belly flyers. It was a great trip. Everybody there has always been friendly and helpful. It's one of my favorite DZs.
B| Gemini
... Fear? Fear is riding the plane down ...