dbattman

Upstate NY weather sucks

The weather in upstate NY sucks. I mean really, really, bad. Fronts seem to come through here every other day. Right now it's low overcast and raining, with more garbage behind it. Course, it's probably decent at the Ranch (where I'm not).
Just wanted everyone to know that.

f it makes you feel any better, it doesn't look like we are going to get to jump here in the middle of Illinois, either!

since when is vandalia the middle of the state???......
and hence the reason I didn't come down...weather sucks...
Cheers....vasbyt
marc
"I have no fear of falling, I just hate hitting the ground"-The Badlees...

Not always!!. Real Upstate New York, is a fine place to skydive. We never have tornados, we never have hurricanes,
we never have floods, we never have landslides, earthquakes
or wild fires. It might be cold from time to time, but in the spring and in the fall the air is crisp cool and sunny.....In the Summer we never have stretches of weather where it is in the 90's and with high humidity for weeks upon weeks upon weeks, (Last year our temps only topped 90 about a half a dozen times, total.) True enough, the winters can be tough
but that only helps to make the jumping season more precious and appreciated. Come visit the Real Upstate NY
and we'll fly you right over Niagara Falls, as we take you to
14 Grand.........www.frontierskydivers.com

There was a quake in Plattsburg

I heard about that on the news. Found it rather odd that I lived in upstate NY for my whole life then move to southern California a few months ago and New York State gets an earthquake!
By the way, Upstate New York weather dosen't ALWAYS suck! There's about three, maybe four months of good weather a year!! You're going to be leaving right before the best part of the year MarshMan. It's really quite pleasant in the summer time, to bad you won't experience it for yourself. Your loss I suppose.

to bad you won't experience it for yourself. Your loss I suppose

Nah...I've lived here most of my life! It will always be "home" to me, because thats where my family is. And yes, you are right- late spring, summer, and early fall are usually really nice. :)"If I could be like that, I would give anything, just to live one day, in those shoes..."

Re: Ive lived here most of my life.
hello MarshMan1....well, if you were born any time after 1972.
then I have been JUMPING here all of YOUR life......and
Upstate/Western. New York has a fine and varied history.
From Akron to Seneca Falls, from Wyoming County to West Bloomfield, from Gift of Wings to Frontier Skydivers,,,,jumping has always been great. If your taste of this area is simply from the C182 drop zone at Rochester Skydivers then maybe I can understand your feelings about this area. In my humble opinion they should be called the Roch. "I-Diving" center, cause they are mostly about I, I, I, me, me, me, and could use some mprovement in customer relations......The next time you visit your hometown, look me up in the phone book,,,,,I will give you directions to a DZ where you will find
good people,capable Instructors, a pleasant competent staff,
a beautiful private airfield, with little transient air traffic, and a Twin Otter which will take you to 14 Grand, quicker than you can say "I'm goin' to Florida"........J T ps. that really wasn't an earthquake,,,, It was all the Upstaters jumpin' out of bed at the same time to go attend the local DZ's Safety Day.......

You have indeed been jumping here all of my life, and then some. You make it sound like I'm moving to FL just so I can jump down there. And eh, the weather up here hasnt exactly been jumpable up until recently...so gimme a break;). Tell you what...I leave in 3 weeks, but since I have heard nothing but good things about Frontier Skydivers, I will try my hardest to make it out there before I go. :)"If I could be like that, I would give anything, just to live one day, in those shoes..."

The Adirondacks actaully have as big, if not a bigger fault line under them as out in California. It's just not that active (well, until the past weekend anyway).The center was actually Ausable Valley I believe and it was 5.1, which in Ca terms is actaully quite mild.

The center was actually Ausable Valley I believe

Yup, it was...
Another kinda freaky thing about upstate NY: Bodies have been reported missing in Seneca Lake, and have been found in Cayuga Lake (and vice versa) with no evidence of foul play. Apparently there is some sort of underground river that goes between them- a distance of anywhere between 10 (in the center) and 20+ nautical miles (on the ends). Just an interesting little tidbit I found out about not too long ago...
"If I could be like that, I would give anything, just to live one day, in those shoes..."