quade

More on Bush and Faith.

How many revisions has it undergone now? Something like 15 was the last figure I had heard tossed around.
The version that seems to be most accepted currently is the King James version... I challenge anyone that tells everyone else to go read their bible to get a version that was published before this revision (there are electronic copies online since only a few survived) and note all the changes. A lot is lost between the translation to english too so.... the version that people are ready to beat each other up over is'nt even close to the original.
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

That is why true scholars will have many differnet versions of the Bible and usually a Bible that is split, with the original Greek/Hebrew (depends on what part of the Bible) on one side and a translation on the other. Then, they can look up meanings seperately and compare.
Atleast, thats what the scholars do.
A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapeze, I can fly

Great, can you tell me on which page God says it is ok for a state to kill people when they feel it necessary?

Try this:

Deuteronomy 20:10-18 :
“When you draw near a city to wage war against it, you shall call out to it for peace.
It shall be that if it responds to you in peace and opens for you, then the entire people found within it shall be as tribute for you, and they shall serve you.
But if it does not make peace with you, but makes war with you, you shall besiege it. Hashem shall deliver it into your hand, and you shall smite all its males by the blade of the sword. Only the women, the small children, the animals, and everything that will be in the city - all its booty - may you plunder for yourselves; you shall eat the booty of your enemies, which Hashem, your G-d, gave you.
So shall you do to all the cities that are very distant from you, which are not of the cities of these nations. But from the cities of these peoples that Hashem, your G-d, gives you as an inheritance, you shall not allow any person to live. Rather you shall utterly destroy them: the Hittite, the Amorite, the Canaanite, the Perizzite, the Hivvite, and the Jebusite, as Hashem, your G-d, has commanded you, so that they will not teach you to act according to all their abominations that they performed for their gods, so that you will sin to Hashem, your God.”

Only the women, the small children, the animals, and everything that will be in the city - all its booty - may you plunder for yourselves; you shall eat the booty of your enemies

So basically you win the battle to eat the women...
bwahahahahhahhaaaahhaha
mm, so you really agree with this? The only two options are:
1. you be my friend and make sure that everybody serves me on hand and knees and I get what I want
2. If you do not like that option, I will just kill all the men and take whatever I want.
I would like to think we have evolved more than that.
SkyDekker
"We cannot do great things, only small things with great love" Mother Theresa

I would like to think we have evolved more than that.

OK.

The only two options are:
1. you be my friend and make sure that everybody serves me on hand and knees and I get what I want
2. If you do not like that option, I will just kill all the men and take whatever I want.

In this particular instance, yes. There is more to the story than this but, you asked. You seem to just be trolling for an argument here.

bwahahahahhahhaaaahhaha
mm, so you really agree with this?

You asked for an example and you got one. The important thing to remember here is the context. The Israelites were conquering the land that God had promised them, they were to drive out any people that were following false gods. In that time, human sacrifices and other abominations were being performed for these gods. To allow them to stay and subsequently accept these abominations would be a sin against the One True God. That was over 3,500 years ago. The Israelite conquest of Canaan richly parallels the Christians life of separation from the world and todays abominations.
James

You can quote the bible willy-nilly to suit whatever purpose you want. Regardless of what you are trying to prove, in most cases it won't stand up against someone who's knowledge of the bible is better than superficial. My understanding is that the Old Testament of the bible has more of a purpose in the history of Christianity, while the New Testament is more of a guidebook of what Christianity is and how to be a Christian.
From the New Testament:
"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
- Matthew 5:38-42
Here's a good bible link for quick lookup of bible quotes that suit your particular purpose.
"Yea, I didn't think we'd actually be turning any points..." ~ Goat #4

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
- Matthew 5:38-42

Again, this is referring to an individual to individual level. Anything can be twisted around to fit your purpose. Many people do that with the Bible but it doesn't decrease its true value. They also do it with the nation's laws, patriotism, Islam, etc.

My understanding is that the Old Testament of the bible has more of a purpose in the history of Christianity, while the New Testament is more of a guidebook of what Christianity is and how to be a Christian.

You're exactly right.
BTW, I didn't give him the scripture reference, I was just pointing out the context to quell his laughter.
james

no, I am not just trolling for an argument. I am trying to get across that we have a tendency to condemn the actions of other people and then go and do it ourselves.. We condemn Muslim extremists killing civillians, yet when the coalition forces (yes the candians as well, I am not only speaking of the USA) kill civilians it is just a side effect. If someone speaks up about it, then they are called bleeding heart liberals.
I am trying to get across that a combination of religion and state, in my opinion, is a major factor in why we are currently killing people around the world.
I am trying to get across that it, in my mind, whatever is stated in whatever version of the bible is based on an old society that has since evolved. Hence the stories are open to interpretation. On top of that, there are many conflicting stories in the bible, chosing which one applies is once again open to interpretation.
I was trying to use your own words to make you see my points, not trolling.......
SkyDekker
"We cannot do great things, only small things with great love" Mother Theresa