Cornholio

Earthquake

Anybody else in the Bay Area feel this one at 10PM ? It centered in Gilroy -about a 5.2. I was at the Giants game at the time, and felt a little rolling motion. I asked my buddy if he felt anyting and he said someone was just jumping up and down that was moving the stands... I said "uh, no... that was an earthquake, dumbass."
BTW - I love earthquakes. As long as my house is not collapsed afterwards, I think they are pretty cool.
- Matt

Yeah....I was watching the Colorado / San Jose game and the announcers were talking about it.
I was in LA a few years ago and completely slept through one that was about the same magnitude. Crazy~~
"My eyes are dry and my hands are clean
and I can't believe all the things I've seen"
-- Blind Melon

Have you ever been in your house during an earthquake? Let me tell you, it is not fun. The last earthquake we had here, had my house moving so much I was amazed it is still standing! It's funny now, but my husband was on top of the roof at the time! Kind of a scary situation all around! He said the view from there was cool, but scary!
J

I did not feel it but everyone around me did. I was watching the sharks game at the bar shooting stick. I had an excuse for missing the side pocket and knocking over my beer:D
I would never ever knock over a beer;). I have been through many earthquakes. They don't scare me as long as I am outside. It is an uneasy unsetteling feeling to feel the earth shake rattle and roll.B|
Sebazz........

Felt many a quake when we lived in Vegas back in the '70s. More than a couple nuke tests, as well. If you felt a tremor in the morning, first thing was to check the clocks -- if it was on the hour/half hour, you knew it was a test and not to worry about seeking shelter. :o

Hurricanes are so much easier to deal with. At least you know for days in advance that they are coming, so you can prepare or get the hell out of Dodge if you want.
Andrea
I'm high as a kite
I just might
Stop and check you out.

It is an uneasy unsetteling feeling to feel the earth shake rattle and roll.

i LOVE IT when the earth shakes, rattles, and rolls!!! as long as it doesn't shake or rattle or roll TOO MUCH! but hey, up to 10-20 seconds or so it's fantastic! nothing scary about being indoors either for me -- it's actually more fun than scary - in that sense sorta like a roller coaster --- or SKYDIVING!
"Welcome to the sky!" -- My video/photographer, after my second tandem jump

Silly Californians........

Heeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy who're ya calling "silly", Mr. Mighty Mouse? We're NOT silly!!! just ummm..... weird. but weird in a good way. not like those "true" weirdos in Georgia... oops. sorry. uhhh i meant Canada. Yeah, that's it... Canada. hmmmmm...
[hides behind my car]
"Welcome to the sky!" -- My video/photographer, after my second tandem jump

I remember in 1989 when we had that 6.9 something or other quake. It was right after soccer practice and I was waiting for my mom to pick me up. One of those epic perfect temperature indian summer days. No breaze. I was looking westward towards the santa Cruz mountains and I noticed the mountains moving up and down and the ground in front of me moving up and down. They were not in sync. Trees were bowing back and forth and you could hear the trunks creaking as if they were going to snap. I was not scared. But the fealing was eerie. Makes you feel so insignifigant when you see and feel the earth that appears to be the most stable thing you've known in your live start rippling like waves.
In third grade I remember being in Science class and we all went to duck n cover under our desk but the aquarium fell off the table and smashed all over the floor. Me and 15 other kids pretty much said F~ this and bolted out the door into the courtyards. I remember feeling safer outside.
I am not the scientist type but if a quake the magnitude of 8 or bigger hits us............well lets just say we're fucked:P
Especially since most of the Bay Area is below or at sea level.
Plus my rig is inside my house right now. I don't want my rigs buried under rubble. They're like the most important thing in my life. So a little rattle n roll is ok.......just a little please. Hope everyone in Cali has good beer karma right now.
Sebazz........

My wife and I felt it. We live in Fremont in the east bay, and were watching tv and felt a small tremor, looked at each other and when the second and larger tremor shook the house got under a doorway. Before the '89 quake, I never paid much attention to them, but now I'm ready to move quickly if they don't stop.
Quakes are not as bad as hurricanes; they don't happen as much and usually aren't as destructive.
I tried to boast to my wife that I was so good that I could make the earth move for her with out even touching her, but she just rolled her eyes and told me to pipe down.

Yep... felt up here in the East Bay (Walnut Creek). I wasn't sure at first but when it kept going and the windows started rattling, I started to get concerned if it was going to get worse. The last time I felt anything like that was 89 as well. I was in the bathroom at work and started feeling weird. kind of like lightheadedness.Then the rolling really started to hit and I knew, hit the emergency shut off for the ammonia tanks (Blueprint shop) and got the hell out.
Been thru quitre a few hurricanes too, I dunno... how many hit Florida a year? 3? 4? I think I'd take the average of 1 Major earthquake every 30 years or so over evacuating 3 to 4 times a year
Like the song by the Cars says "Shake it up"
One shot... HEY!!! Mas Tequila!!!!
Two Shots HEY HEY!!!!
Three Shots.......

I remember in 1989 when we had that 6.9 something or other quake. It was right after soccer practice and I was waiting for my mom to pick me up.

Oh my God, I'm tooooo old.
:::OK, Canopy is Open, No Traffic Around, .. Why are these "Extra" Lines Draping Down??, Damn!

I'm tooooo old.

You aren't the only one... I remember sitting next to the significant other on the couch during that one. Looked at his knee to see if it was him shaking, then saw the light fixture swinging back and forth and heard the windows rattling. Minutes later the TV news was telling us all about it.
What was really trippy about that one was we were 250 miles south of the epicenter and four blocks from the beach... as they were predicting possible tidal waves...
pull & flare,
lisa
If I can't have everything, well, then just give me a taste...

I remember perfectly what happened that day in 1989-
I was in my entry way in my house when it started. (Of course they try and teach you that the safest place is inside, but they can kiss my ass. I am not going to be inside when my roof comes crashing in. I would rather be ouside in the open and watch the house fall down than be inside.) So anyways, when it started, I ran outside and stopped on the sidewalk. My neighbor at the time also ran outside and we both just stared at each other and started laughing. It was quite thrilling and exciting.
Afterwards it was pretty cool the way the neighbors got together and supported one another. We lived in a condo at the time, other people were outside talking to other people. The power was out, but a few of us had portable radios so we were huddled together trying to figure out what happened. Cell phones were not big at the time, but the portable phone was going around. People were scared to go back into their homes in fear of afteshocks that would bring down the house. The fear set in aftewards wondering if there was going to be a bigger one.
But I too would rather be in an earthquake than a hurricane or tornado or flooding. It's only once a lifetime that a big one comes and knocks down buildings and kills people in any certain area. However with other disasters, it could happen several times a year and the results are usually more devestating than a small roller.

One of those epic perfect temperature indian summer days.

I also remember the weather that day. Now in late summer when it gets that way, I always think " This feels like earthquake weather" The wind is calm, the sky is kinda dreary, and it's quiet...very quiet.. The birds stop chirping, but the dogs start going crazy. Yesterday, my roommate told me that my dog was startled and started pacing back and forth a few seconds before the earthquake. She is my earthquake-detector...LOL

. (Of course they try and teach you that the safest place is inside, but they can kiss my ass. I am not going to be inside when my roof comes crashing in.

Part of the problems with running outside is that you are more than likely only running into potential other dangers such as fallen power lines, flying glass, trees, etc...
Also, houses in CA are built to code with seismic issues in mind. some of the safest places are in a doorway or corner.
Of course, last night, the first thing I thought of was NOT if I should be getting into a corner but if I should be getting to my kids.
One shot... HEY!!! Mas Tequila!!!!
Two Shots HEY HEY!!!!
Three Shots.......

You Californians are nuts! Earthquakes?! Way too scary for me. Give me a good old-fashioned hurricane any day. At least you can throw a hurricane party without worry that the earth will swallow your house.
And you can skydive in a hurricane anyway -- there's no limit on windspeed. The challenge is finding someone with big enough boobs to convince the pilot to fly.