PLFKING

United Airlines policy ?

Hey all you misfits......
I know this was discussed before, but my search didn't seem to pull it up, or pulled up info before 9/11.
Anyone done recent airline travel with a rig (specifically United Airlines ?) Heading to Phoenix tomorrow on business, and plan on jumping at Eloy on Saturday or Sunday if I get finished with everything. The thought of my baby in the hands of baggae handlers scares the crap out me.
No Cypres, so that's a plus.
Anyway, if anyone can help..........:)Thanks,
Don

I have flown on a lot of different airlines since 9/11. Always did the smae thing with no problem. i put the rig in a duffle bag and carried it on with me. Usually it just goes straight through with no explination needed. If someone starts looking at it funny I just step up and say, "its a parachute, I am a skydiver", and I have never been questioned past that. I think that the people that have problems are the ones who make a big deal over it. Put it in a bag. Act like it is just a normal piece of luggage.
William

Let's spell this out.
NO AIRLINES HAS A POLICY AGAINST RIGS, OR CYPRES.
Clear?
I took my rig to Eloy last weekend. I flew ATA . Since I was running late, and had 20 minutes to make the plane, of COURSE I got hassled at security. They were concerned about the cypres. They knew it was a rig... and they wanted to open it up to see the cypres. The cypres card in my wallet, plus a bit of horseshit about the "FAA Riggers Seal" talked them out of it pretty quick.
The deal with traveling now is that NO AIRLINES has a policy against rigs or cypres's. The only issue you'll have it security personal who don't know what a cypres is.
Interestingly enough, on my way back I forgot to check my hook knife. They didn't even notice it hanging off my chest strap, but they did think my camera case was pretty interesting. It was holding: get this - a camera!
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

I asked my g/f, who works for United, to go through thier database back in January on policy about sport parachutes as carry-ons - it came up as blank, she couldn't find anything explicitly allowing or dis-allowing them. Though it may be a bit late - Continental has an explicit policy of allowing sport parachutes as carry ons, so long as it fits within carry on size restrictions.

Go here:
http://www.continental.com/dash/build_dash.asp?service_02_11
Scroll down to sport parachute - print that out and bring it with you. When I did that, the ticket agent had no problem cross-referencing it within thier policy database. I also did all the other trickets with gear bags, hook knife and altimeter in checked luggage, etc.

Anybody been hassled about Hook knives?
I'm traveling this weekend and it looks like the only thing I'd have to check is my hook knife and a small pocket knife. Maybe I should just leave them home? Or Stupidly check in one small plastic baggie with them in it?
One shot... HEY!!! Mas Tequila!!!! Two Shots HEY HEY!!!! Three Shots.......

I think its better for you to leave the knifes at home, lately just the word knife can cause panic in a plane.
Hey what do you think security will tell you if you put on your gear before you board the plane until you get out? You can carry 2 rigs like that. :)"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid?"
drenaline

I just carried on my rig with a Cypres out of Denver International on a flight Monday. No problems, but the guy at the xray machine wanted me to put my keys in it with my cel phone while they scanned it (he thought it was a back pack). Needless to say, I didn't enlighten him and just set my phone on the backpad while it went through. I typically carry my rig on and only talk about what it is if questioned, which never happens...
-Hixxx
"Sous ma tub, Dr Suess ma tub" :S

Don't know about the rig thing, but they do have a policy against you being in their restroom with a girl who can't keep the noise down. While they're reviewing that policy, they should probably look at one of their flight attendants calling someone a perv, cause that's what should be prohibited.:o
flyhiB|

Don't know about the rig thing, but they do have a policy against you being in their restroom with a girl who can't keep the noise down.

:)Thanks for all the tips guys (and the effort, Grumpmeister).......we'll see what happens. I'm not going to put my .45 in the gear bag....:D
If the bridge don't flood and the river don't rise, I'll see ya'll sometime Saturday. I'll be wearing the black Vector with the big maize "M" on it.
Don

Hey Hobbes......I got three messages from you. It generally goes through the first time, even though the error message shows up.
But this is such a great site.....I can put up with ONE imperfection........(well, TWO if you count that world-famous sheep-fondler from Georgia....) :)Don

<(Now if I can only figure out how to travel with two complete rigs AND the cameras -- that's just too much carry-on.)>
I have done this about 6 times in the last year. The best way that I have found is like this. I put my newest rig in a duffle bag. I can also put my other main (detached of course) in this same duffle bag. You are allowed one personal item. I put my camcorder and camera in a camera bag for my personal item. This leaves me with my second rig, reserve, cypress, and camera helmet (cameras detached as personal item) in checked luggage. This is more than I would like to check but it is the best I have come up with.
William