escott0699

Helmet Cutaway systems

escott0699

My DZ is looking to implement mandatory cutaways on helmets with camera setups. anyone out there have experience with cutaways for full face helmets? (G#, Phantom etc...)

Stay tuned for the new Bonehead Rev2 helmet, comes standard with cut-away, hope fully there should be a review up soon. There are pictures on the Bonehead Facebook page

piisfish

***Seriously?

:S

I think it is a good idea to have one.
Mandatory might be too much, but highly recommended....

Mandatory cut away helmets vs mandatory AADs... which would save more lives?

I think that Cookie makes a cutaway system. Got a friend's old helmet and it has a "cutaway" strap.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

normiss

You could have at least referred him to something that works.

There are now 2 of us on the planet that think full face helmets and camera's don't mix. I don't think you'll have any luck convince anyone else it is stupid.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

skyjumpenfool

A cutaway is a great idea, but build it as "snag free" as is possible.

Otherwise the irony of the cutaway system - being the reason why you needed a cutaway system in the first place :P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

nigel99

***You could have at least referred him to something that works.

There are now 2 of us on the planet that think full face helmets and camera's don't mix. I don't think you'll have any luck convince anyone else it is stupid.

All those FS flyers these days with go-pro's, we've already seen issues with just the go-pro mount (yes that little flat sticky thingy). Often skydivers seem to feel that fullface + camera is safe... At least the FF crowd usually have open face helmets which makes for an easy cutaway installation.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

dragon2

******You could have at least referred him to something that works.

All those FS flyers these days with go-pro's, we've already seen issues with just the go-pro mount (yes that little flat sticky thingy). Often skydivers seem to feel that fullface + camera is safe... At least the FF crowd usually have open face helmets which makes for an easy cutaway installation.

Locally most freefliers are moving across to Cookie G3 with go-pro's on. In fact I would say that our dz, 'safe' camera helmets in the traditional sense are in the minority. I know I am super conservative and have an open face helmet with cutaway for my gopro.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

Locally most freefliers are moving across to Cookie G3 with go-pro's on. In fact I would say that our dz, 'safe' camera helmets in the traditional sense are in the minority. I know I am super conservative and have an open face helmet with cutaway for my gopro.

Same here. I haven't counted, but I'd guess that more people (no matter the discipline) have full faces than open faces these days, especially those that are regular tunnel flyers.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

nigel99

***You could have at least referred him to something that works.

Have you ever seen me running my G3 with a camera?

I know you havent.
My openface has my camera bracket and even with that I only put the camera on when required or asked. I dont fly with it on my helmet all the time.
It's a tool, I use it when the case for it arises.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

******You could have at least referred him to something that works.

I know you havent.
My openface has my camera bracket and even with that I only put the camera on when required or asked. I dont fly with it on my helmet all the time.

Didn't name you squeak:P

Watch the sundowner videos for a sample on just how common it is at home - in fact save you some time here is a random screen grab.

nigel99

*********You could have at least referred him to something that works.

I know you havent.

Watch the sundowner videos for a sample on just how common it is at home - in fact save you some time here is a random screen grab.

I despise the entire GoPro mounting system.
The cameras are great but they do not in any way work well in skydiving from either a safety POV or an aesthetic.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

************You could have at least referred him to something that works.

I know you havent.

I despise the entire GoPro mounting system.
The cameras are great but they do not in any way work well in skydiving from either a safety POV or an aesthetic.

Complete agreement. I still disagree with the principle of a camera on a full face, but have you seen Nette's setup? It's a tiny camera on the side.

Btw I reckon the market is about ready for a G3 type helmet with an action cam built in - like the audible pockets. Truly snagless.