gravitysurf808

Take it off!!

Now, I could be utterly offbase. Totally wrong. Happened before, will happen again... However, that caveat being stated...

Aren't devout muslim women forbidden to drive a car? Isn't that "against" their religion, too? I mean, it's been all over the news in one way or another for about 9 months or so, but isn't Islam very very clear as to what their female adherants are allowed and instructed to do?

Seems to me that if she is ascribing to the particular tenant "I can't show my face to anyone other than my husband", then she is in the group of extreme adherants, and likely must also follow the other stringent things - such as not driving...

If that is true, it brings up the question: why would she need a DL in the first place?

But then again, I could be wrong.

Ciels and Pinks-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Ok...alright...call me a sensitive Arab, but I have to reply to this!

First off, no...Islam does not prohibit women from driving. "Most" of the backass ward rules that are attributed to Islam are more or less local cultural influences...whether it's driving laws in Saudi Arabia, voting right or sterilization in N. Africa! As for the woman refusing to remove her facial veil....I think it's going overboard. However, keep in mind...that she's been told that since her formative years that's what she has to do. However, per the letter of the Koran, women only have to keep their hair veiled. The women who only show their eyes...that's just an added cultural influence they are abiding to.

Originally being born & raised outside the US (I've been here since '86)...nothing scares me more that hearing some say we have to give up some of our constitutional rights for security...just something to chew on! :)
I'm a Pschydiver!
Majdi E.

That would be one hell of a good idea for beating a photo radar ticket.

What color veil should I order on the internet? ;) Bah ha ha..they'd still get my license plate. ;)

Ok...alright...call me a sensative arab, but I have to reply to this!

First off, no...Islam does not prohibit women from driving. "Most" of the backass ward rules that are attributed to islam are more or less local cultural infuences...whether it's driving laws in Saudi Arabia, voting right or sterlization in N. Africa! As for the woman refusing to remove her facial veil....I think it's going overboard. However, keep in mind...that she's been told that since her formative years that's what she has to do. However, per the letter of the Koran, women only have to keep their hair veiled. The women who only show their eyes...that's just an added cutural influence they are abiding to.

Origially being born & raised outside the US (I've been here since '86)...nothing scares me more that hearing some say we have to give up some of our constitutional rights for security...just something to chew on!

Understandable, I wouldn't want my constituitional rights compromised. But, in the U.S., from my upbringing, you must have a valid photo id when obtaining a driver's license. What my understanding of valid photo id is a picture of your face. Security is a concern, and I agree with that for protection. Not that I believe everything the law enforcement has decided to "protect" us from, but some I agree with. Specifically felony crimes. So I feel facial photo ids are legitimate with driver's licenses.

that she's been told that since her formative years that's what she has to do.

Thank you for the reply and I appreciate your thoughts but ummmm.. not quite.

This woman was actually a evangelical(sp?) Christian minister just a few years ago before she converted to Islam. So her current stance really wasn't ingrated into her during all of her formative years.

I do respect all religions and those who choose not to believe anything at all. Personal beliefs (imho) do not determine a good/bad person. But come on...she's sueing the state of Florida???

If her beliefs prevent her from revealing herself that's cool. She isn't required to wear her drivers license (w/face photo) on her shirt sleeve every day!! But if she wants the privilege to drive is it unreasonable to ask her to be unmasked for 10 seconds??

hypothetically:
Especially in the state of Florida wouldn't I raise little a bit of suspicion by asking for a pilot license whilst wearing a mask?

I could've avoided so many traffic tickets only if I'd used her technique. ;)

What I don't understand is no one is violating her constitutional rights. No one said she couldn't wear her veil. All that was said is if she wants a drivers license she can't wear a veil. A D.L. is not a constitutional right.

Totally ambivalent on this one.

A driver's license is a privilege, not a right. Don't want to comply with the requirements, you don't get the privilege.

But... if a guy goes in with a full face beard, do they (should they) require him to shave it?
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

It may be a privilege, but in many places driving is a necessity to go to work, shop, etc. In PA you can get a non-photo license because of religious reasons. Don't see why that's a big problem. If someone really wanted to avoid detection they could get a non-descript fake id for a couple hundred bucks that would draw less attention than a photo wearing a veil.

Sorry, I should have better clarified my comment on constitutional rights. I was not so much refering to her specific case, but rather the comment in the article where it quotes the Asst. Gen. attorney saying that law-enforcement concerns after Sept. 11 should override ones contention that their constitutional rights are being violated.

As for the veil, I think she would be able to keep on her veil that covers her hair, but she needs to remove the facial veil that's hiding the face for the photo...most states don't have a problem with the hair being covered...either way, she can always have another female take the pic. And yes, driving is a privilege.

By the way, guys...please don't feel the need to IM me appoligizing for things posted or worrying about flame wars. I'm not easily offended...I enjoy hearing what people think, I just try to educate & learn something myself...and like most people in the world I'm not that religious...Either way, being in the Marine Corps & spending my wkends @ the DZ at Orange...I can't have thin skin, they would eat me alive ;)

Blue Sky & Semper Fi,
Majdi