A12

Bad / Funny Landings

This thread makes me feel so much better since I have 90 jumps and am only landing about 50% standing up. I am getting better though!:P

I don't have any funny enough to rival the ones already listed here!

Lets see for my self.. wraping my canopy on a pole in a swoop was bad...

Seen a house get swooped, seen people land on other peoples canopies, seen students start a flare at 50 feet, let up then flare again and bust in....
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Landed without flaring once. I was coming in at Raeford from the runway towards the road. Well....people kept landing to my right and I got pushed right over near the manifest shed. I'm thinking "Get ready for the Dragon"....put my hands in my front dive loops to steer away from the trees on final. I steered away no problem. Took my hand out of the dive loops and lost the right toggle. Reach once...reach twice....turn to look....OH SHIT!!! Sucked up the legs and bounced pretty hard. Then slid for 30-40 feet along the beer line right in front of the "Cool Guy" packing shed. I got up and walked away but my ass hurt for the next 3-4 months. I think I broke my tail bone. Lesson learned....NEVER put more than 2 fingers in your dive loops. I was lucky, that was only an Aeroglide 230 loaded around .9 or 1:1.[:/]

About two and half years ago on a light wind day in Monterey (which by the way is rare) I noticed a decent crowd of people standing near the landing area. Perfect opportunity to show off in front of the spectators riiiiggghht:P

Now mind you this was a while ago and have learned my lesson. We have a van that shuttles back and forth from the landing area to the hangar. As I approached at a wierd angle I found myself heading straight towards the van (fuck fuck fuck) so I tried to lie down so as to go roll under the van instead of broadsiding it. Unfortunately before I could make it under the van the five gallon buckets filled with sand to keep the lines around the spectator area stopped me:S:S

I ended up breaking my ankle.

But not nearly as bad as a person who once impaled them selves onto the corner of the door of the van. But I'll save that story for another time. Yes they lived:)

Oh...I almost forgot. The AFF level 1 student that did a perfect stand up landing on top of a hangar was classic. Even more fun was when I got around the corner and saw this guy trying to push his beautiful Porsche 911 out from under this guy. I guess he didn't have the keys handy.....:D Funny stuff!!!!

Good friend of mine told me a funny story that unfortunately I will have to give you a second hand account.

He was swooping the pond at Lodi and at some point had to stab out of the swoop to avoid getting wet but when he did it popped him up ten feet above the water and he just kerplunked right back into the pond.

This is the funny part. he was wearing teevas and when he came out of the water one was all twisted up on his foot and apperantly he screamed out loud thinking his ankle was broken:P

Silly skydiversB|

You just reminded me of a really funny incident -

I landed with a guy out in "the bowl" at Jumptown and, after we both had great landings, we got picked up by the truck out at the bowl. Since there were only 2 of us, we squeezed into the front seat of the truck with the driver and, thank God, I was in the middle.

We're driving back to the DZ and all of a sudden, I hear "oh, oh shit" as the truck's door swings open and "the guy" next to me rolls right out the door and the truck is moving pretty fast. It happened so fast the driver didn't even realize what happened and I yelled "stop, ______ just fell out (name hidden to protect the embarrassed).

It was so funny (because he was ok) - he had his canopy clutched to his chest and all he was concerned about was damaging the canopy. He rolls out behind the truck and does a perfect PLF and amazingly he's ok and his gear is ok. We laughed our asses off all the way back and we thought it was so funny he pulled off a nice skydive and landing and then fell out of the truck! Of all the rotton luck...not the way to top off a great dive :D

Rhonda
Rhonda
PP ASEL

Those damn vans! ;) That's how my husband got hurt.... downwind landing (winds 15-18mph), just missing powerlines and on to the top of a van! Actually they say the van might have saved his life. Lesson - Don't get fixated on the making it back to the landing area.

I think he just wanted a better story than my tree landing. >:(

I once was comming in for a landing, and took out a windsock.

The windsock at my dropzone is like the light that attratcs flies, have seen lots of people going for the windsock and getting a nice good woop from it. :D

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

apparently a few years ago this guy went straight into the windsock at my dz and bent the thing right to the ground. now this windsock is a piece of galvanised pipe around 5 meters high, set in concrete, and about 5 or 6cm in diameter. it took 3 grown men to bend it back straight and the guy just stood up and walked away without any injuries...a little winded i assumeB|
get it..winded..windsock........alright it seemed funny a minute ago :P lol