BillyBob

DZ Politics

I hope so !
But what I am kind of trying to figure out are politics more of a problem at small family run DZs or are the larger DZs more contaminated with the BS. Oh and since we're on the subject where do most of the political problems originate(ie. fun jumpers, DZOs etc).

I have jumped around a lot and it seems the bigger the dz , the bigger the political bs you have to put up with . I would much rather jump at a smaller dz but I don't jump out of non turbine aircraft for the most part . Stick around any place for a while and it will get political .

I jump at a small home DZ and have found that those politics are the worst, sorta like a domestic dispute. The larger DZ's also have the problem, but it seems like less of an issue since when you jump there you kind of have an idea of what to expect.

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

I've only been to two DZ's, one was for one tandem jump, and I heven't been back there yet, and at the DZ I'm at now, which is a small club DZ- I made up my my mind not to get sucked into the political BS from the start, just jump and have fun. No matter what what you will get sucked it somewhat, but you can either keep it to the minimum, and maximize your enjoyment, or vise versa. And it's like I've been jumping forever, but that's politics no matter where you are or what you do. So that's about all I do - I participate in a good share of the club activities, pitch in here and there, but mostly just jump and have fun, which is just what I want out of memebership. Nothing more and nothing less.

Easy Does It

Ok, names will not be used, but there's a big DZ that I've gone too and will continue to go to if there's something going on or if I'm meeting friends there, but I can see the politics when walking in the door. It is super-clich-ish, like bad. IMHO too many rich fucks from the city, each expecting his/her own way, etc.

Now, I currently jump at a small DZ and I "grew-up" on a small DZ, I find the politcs not nearly as bad as the big DZ. If someone new shows up, we make sure we jump with them and bring them into our DZ family. At the big DZ I couldn't get on jumps with people if the fate of the free world depended on it, I wasn't apart of their group and I'm not a world famous skydiver, so I wasn't invited.

I'll take a small DZ any day of the week over a big DZ when it comes to politcs.

(Oh, and if you think I'm talking about your DZ, you're probably wrong, you don't know which DZ I'm talking about and I've jumped all over.)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Oh come on !!! It isn't any different than any other business. Politics in the office, at the hospital, in the schools.......Anytime you have people together it's going to happen in one form or another. If one thinks that politics are worse at one DZ than another perhaps it's that ones perception is off. Same story....only thing different is the geography, and if you are sitting there saying "not at my DZ" well......try taking off the rose coloured glasses.B|

I've jumped at 7 DZ's and the politics is just as heavy at any of them as you let your self get drawn into. The Club stlye DZ's have the issue of everyone wanting to be in charge, the single DZO stlye has the issue that the DZO is told he/she is playing favorites with staff/jumpers/anything. The multi DZO thing is worse since people can play the DZO's against each other.

I like any DZ that has safe planes, a vibe that is good and a relaxed atmosphere. There is a DZ that I don't like where the vibe was scary and the people were a tad tense.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

~Talk about dz politics~

I will not name the dz or the names of the people involved. But this is what I experienced at a dz while my one year of jumping there. It is a long story but funny as hell.

A husband and wife owned the dz. Had a nice indoor packing / manifest, leased caravan and they had a nice small dz to call their own. They did not have jobs out side of the dz and got in major debt. Somebody came to close the dz down but one of the instructores there purchased the dz and kept it open. The previous owner was also an instructor there and thought that he still owned the place and the other instructor just bailed him out. The other instructor had more business sense and knew that the other guy would run it into the ground again so he told him that it was now his dz. He owned all the rigs and things anyways. The person they leased the caravan to was friends with the previous owner and began charging the new owner a lot more for the planes. They had a disagreement and they stopped leasing the caravan. Because of all this turmoil a lot of the experienced jumpers started going to other dropzones to stay away from it. The new owner leased a 182 and kept the dropzone open but had to build it up again. Because the new owner had another job full time and did not have the time to run the dz he "gave" the dz to another employee at the dz. The other employee started running the dz and was still going through bullshit with the first owner. The first owner wired the electricity from another building at the airport and did not have a county certified sewer system. The first owner called the county and reported all of this. The county came out and turned off the electricity and the sewer and told them that they would have to have a site plan, etc to have a business there. ($10,000+) The first owner called the FAA and told them that the 182 they were using did not have a "acceptable" jump door or step on the plane. The owner of the plane took the step and the door off. It was cold jumping with no door! The first owner tried to open another dropzone at the same airport but the airport and county would not allow it. So they closed the building down and to this day they have to set up a temporary DZ at the airport FBO.

I could tell you more but would involve affairs, back stabbing, etc. and I do not want to get into it. :P

> I just want to know what's the most political dropzone you have ever
> been to?

You know, I find that politics affect you as much or as little as you let it. I've been to DZ's where someone would periodically rant about something, get red in the face, call this guy and that guy an asshole, and I realized that you can either buy into that or not. In general, I find the people who do the most ranting are the people least worth listening to.

Oh- I'm not saying there isn't any political BS at my home DZ- Beleive me there is! But I like to distinguish between politics and personal BS like back stabbing, "romantic" affairs and infidelity and so on- I agree 100% that no matter where you go, the BS abounds! You've got cool people and buttholes no matter where!

Easy Does It

I have jumped around a lot and it seems the bigger the dz , the bigger the political bs you have to put up with . I would much rather jump at a smaller dz but I don't jump out of non turbine aircraft for the most part . Stick around any place for a while and it will get political .

I don't have enough experience to comment on the politics, but I'm glad I jump at a tiny dropzone that has a turbine. Best of both worlds, no? I imagine there are politics at my DZ, but I'm totally oblivious to it. Sort of like how my friends have all sorts of drama between them, but for the most part, I manage to avoid it by scrupulously maintaining my ignorance about it. The best way to avoid politics is to refuse to participate in it.

lets see.........buy your ticket, jump, repack, buy your ticket, jump, repack, buy your ticket, jump repack.............get the idea? where is the room for politics? if their is problems let the gossip mongers handle it! and besides, they like lots of talk, keeps them from getting board!

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

for the most part, I manage to avoid it by scrupulously maintaining my ignorance about it. The best way to avoid politics is to refuse to participate in it.

Oh yeah, you have it right. I've already decided that I will not get drawn into that scene. I'm still new to the dz and legitimately don't have the scoop on the dirt, but I'm sure it will start soon. If I had any interest in dirt, backstabbing, and politics, I'd run for city council:P

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein