freeflytim

A Black Hawk yesterday, an Antonov today..

Out of curiosity, why are Army Rangers jumping out of that? Who's is it?

Question #1- Training

Question #2- Dont ask........;)

Actually, it's probably not all that much secret squirrel. It's either a contract plane owned by a "civilian" company or more than likely owned by TRADOC. "Army Training and Doctrine" They have really deep pockets and fly the worlds largest fleet of Hind D Helicopters in the world out in the California desert. They own a lot of Russian equipment for "training" I can tell ya...I never thought I would really see a Hind buzzing overhead. It's a pretty impressive sight. As to why they would jump it. Several reasons really but I'm sure the most impotrant one is...Wouldn't you if you got the chance? The others...watch the news......

That's actually a smaller version on the Antonov they've got much much larger planes. Some of the Russian Cargo planes make the US Military Cargo look like Cessna-182's

Check out this link Here is some pictures of the larger planes. Antonov AN-225 Mriya

290ft,00in - Wing Span
275ft,07in - Length
10,280 - Wing Area
1,300,000 - Gross Weight
6 x 51,590 lb DT-18T - Engines

Now that's a huge aircraft!!! I've seen one kinda like this one up close here at the Elington Airforces Base in Hou. A company I worked for chartered one of their planes to move some oil field equipment into Russia. Don't even think about wanting to jump from it unless you've got some seriously deep pockets. It just started at 1 million to get the plane to land.... not counting fuel, cargo, hotels for the 7 man crew. ect...

Here is one picture to give you a scale of just how big this plane is. Here is a picture of the plane with one of the planes you see the Rangers are going to jump next to it B|

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Yeah, Communist Russia had a sort of "little man's" complex going on. Whatever they built it had to be BIG, or BIGGER, it didn't matter if it worked better or if a smaller application would have worked, it just had to be frigg'n huge.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i was a loadmaster in the air force and i actually assited in the loading of a couple of those big russian birds while stationed in alaska

great big plane granted, but in my opinion not nearly as nice as our C-5's

hisgoofyness

Goudha is for Buddha, and that's good enough for me!

Yeah, Communist Russia had a sort of "little man's" complex going on. Whatever they built it had to be BIG, or BIGGER, it didn't matter if it worked better or if a smaller application would have worked, it just had to be frigg'n huge.:)

it was design to carry huge cargos which should be trasported in one piece, like space shuttle for
example. in this case the bigger the better. i think Mria is the biggest plane today. and as for
"little man's" complex, well i think you haven't been to Russia :)

Stan. the Russian.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

My observation was based on my studying Russian culture, politics and social structes from the late 19th century through present day.

so who exactly was the little man in 19th century ? Romanov, Rasputin, Peter the Great,
Puskin or Tolstoy ? :) not trying to start any flame, just wanna say that there are some
many misconceptions regarding russia in usa and many things are not as they are seen.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

many misconceptions regarding russia in usa and many things are not as they are seen.

True...I'll blame that on "Cold War Propaganda" Everything I have personally experienced proves most of that wrong. Especially the image of Russian women. I met more than one hottie in Korea.....;)

True...I'll blame that on "Cold War Propaganda" Everything I have personally experienced proves most of that wrong. Especially the image of Russian women. I met more than one hottie in Korea.....;)

ahh... russian women... :):):)

stan.

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

Some would say Rasputin. My point of what I said was that I studied the things that lead up to the revolution from the late 19th century, through the communist rule.

Generally speaking, Communist Russia built and desired big things. Take the Dneiper hydroelectric dam for instance. Due to central planning and their desire to have the largest dam in the world, they built the thing much larger with much larger hydrogeneraters then the project called for. The result? The dam is not capable of running at full capacity due to a lack of sufficient water pressure to drive the turbines. This is just one example. This little man complex, the desire to keep up and if possible out do, build, etc the United States is one of the many reasons that government failed. Well, actually, that government would have fallen on its own, that is one of the reasons it fell so quickly.

Most of the books I've read and researched with weren't written by westerners, either. They were written by Russian historians.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."