freebird

Two way Radios for my own canopy training.

I bought a pair of radios ( like the students use) I want my coach to talk to me at this new dz Im not used to. I also have a new canopy I need to learn to get used to.......The radios have 3 channels...you can talk bothways but I will not be talking. I will only listen to my coach.......He is going to teach me to be a swell canopy pilot;)

My radios reach up to two miles.

Smart Idea. I've seen it done several times when low jumpers get new gear and want to learn how to use it before they auger themselves in. The learning curve is GREATLY increased from what I've seen. Trouble is finding folks who are used to talking in a higher performance canopy. Good luck!B|
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

That scene in Fandango rocks -

My husband and I bought radios to talk to each other under canopy and around the DZ when we went to Eloy, but we never used them...I wonder now if they'd cause interference with the plane's communications or students who might be using radios...
Rhonda
PP ASEL

or students who might be using radios...

*crackal**crackal* "You're doing fine, looking good, now grab the risers that are in the front and pull both of them to your chest and hold them till I say let go...";)

Tiff--

That's a great idea! I hope it all works out for you, as I'm sure it will.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Not if he says Tiffany do this or that .I used to get confused as a student I would hear someone saying something that did not make sense to me..or get called by another name ....and we can always find out what channel the students are on and switch ours....Im not tryinhg to swoop the pond ......I just want to work on accuracy and try to stand up the darn thing......I will make sure to remind him to say my name;)

>I wonder now if they'd cause interference with the plane's communications or students who might be using radios...

Or even better.... fire both of your cypres's while under canopy due to the EM being so close to the unit for such a long time active.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Just a word of warning. These are not private radio channels and other users can a do use the same channels. If someone were to hear you, they might start interfering with your conversations, or worse, give misleading instructions.
We used these radios on vacation to communicate between vehicles and we heard other people on several times.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

There should not be very many whoffos that know the trems we will be using and not many whoffos at 3000 feet;) We will discuss how to avoid that problem though... He will say my name before each time he talks . I know not to make a low turn and a half break turn is better if I must turn a little low in an emergency....This is mainly for my accuracy and to help my flare on this Sabre 2:)

"No whuffos at 300"
With you at that altitude, the range of the radios will not be 2 miles. It will be more like 30-40 miles, even at low power. Radio waves travel in a straight line and you will effectively have a 3000' tall antenna. I stood on top of a 125' light tower once and was talking to a station 25 miles away with .25 watts output power.
Sounds like you have it covered tho.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.