Freeflyfucks

Other sPorts thats YOU DO........humm..?

Thus leading to my hypothesis that skydivers are pretty much one-sport-specicic- Why?

Ummmm... for me it's because nothing else even comes close. But I know a lot of people who jump hard and still do other things - rock climbing, mountain biking, skiiing, snowboarding, mountaineering, adventure racing, BMX, skateboarding...

And I hope to GOD many of them dont (coordination=0, and failing any AFF level.........hummmm.......)???.

So anyone who failed an AFF level isn't good enough and should give it up and go sit on the couch? Guaranteed there are jumpers out there who are way better at this than you or I will ever be who had to repeat a student jump. And there are jumpers out there who will never be good enough to swoop the pond, be on a 100 way or freefly at the level of Olav, Mike Ortiz, or Rook Nelson who passed every AFF level with flying colors. What someone does as a student doesn't mean shit when they've got 1000, 2000, 3000+ jumps.

skydivers who sink them selves into the dirt doing hook turns and moves that they shouldn't pull, haven't been or tried other sports that require a lenght of time for minimal .......and only minimal ....progression (to be average)

I call bullshit. Even the best screw up now and then. Talk to some of the best swoopers in the world and find out 1) how many times they've had to dig themselves out of the corner and 2) what sports they used to or still participate in and what level they are at at those sports.

What sports do other skydivers do?

Right now I do nothing but jump because I can't afford to do anything else. Other sports I've played with include skiing (I suck), mountain biking (I suck), riding dirt bikes (I suck) and extreme web surfing (now that I'm good at ;)).

For me jumping brought a clarity and beauty to life that I so rarely saw before, and helped with the confidence to persue things I think are worthwhile - regardless of the risk. Or, as I think one of my favorite quotes states so well:

Conquering any difficulty always gives one a secret joy, for it means pushing back a boundary-line and adding to one's liberty.
-- Henri Frederic Amiel

A very pleasant change :)

Now I just wish there where more skydiving chicas! :P

So, do you FF or RW? ;)
---
'Damn, I sure wish I would of kept that pretty silver handle' - cutaway ruminations

mmmm - yeah, come to think of it, I haven't put any work into my Harley, either. The truck goes unwashed for weeks at a time-(just gets dusty at the DZ anyway-) Jumping did motivate me to work out, so I spend time at the gym - but only in the colder weather - Fortunatley my job is pretty physical - except when I'm in the office post whoring- Damn-

Easy Does It

1) Licensed Private Pilot (don't know if you'd call this a sport)
2) Hockey (still play, but used to play at a college level)
3) Skiing (ski patroller in the early 90s)
4) Mountaineering (including hiking, rock & ice climbing)
5) Biking (both mountain biking and road biking)
6) Motorcycles (my bike feels very neglected lately)
7) Volleyball (co-ed rec. leagues)
8) Softball (co-ed rec. leagues)
9) Soccer, Football & Rugby (haven't played them in years)
10) Golf (I haven't played in 3 seasons)
11) Ultimate Frisbee (play pickup games every once in a while)
Hockey will always be my #1 team sport (as it should be for any good Canadian), but I am really looking forward to gaining more skydiving experience (starting this Sunday morning when I do my Level Three AFF jump). :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Question:::::::: What sports do other skydivers do? and how good are you....(honestly)....

i used to play golf , at least 2 or 3 rounds a week. got down to about a 10 hdp. shit i probably couldnt even hit the damn ball now , been about 2 years since the last time i played.

"Trust your Rigger with your Life , but not your Beer or your Wife !"

ah ! let's see. I do quite a bit of roller blading. Learning Karate. Looking into learning rock climbing and surfying ( any suggestion and tips on how and where would be most welcomed. I live in the Manhattan metro area ). Swimming and running are done more as a routine. Other games that I've played at some point of time are cricket ( a lot of it ), squash ( decent amount of it ), soccer. Then there's skiing and ice skating that I do over the winter. Want to learn sailing but $$$ is an issue. Cannot take up everything at the same time. Want to eventually work towards BASE jumping in some controlled manner.

To add to the question... How many skydivers USED to be involved with other sports, and have since stopped?

i've been skiing since i was 7 for 21 years. last winter i went skiing only twice :(

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

seems that most skydivers i know are adrenaline junkies - heaps of them are snowboarders or skiiers, many are surfers.

me? i don't have an athletic bone in my body. i don't do other sports because i look like an ass when i try (not that that always stops me).

aside from skydiving, i prefer "indoor sports"...those played in the dark...generally requiring flexibility and dexterity...relying on endurance rather than brute strength... ;)
spiral out...keep going...

my boyfriend and i were doing a jump - just in shorts and t-shirts. upon exit, my shirt immediately flew up, exposing my flopping boobies. he came over to me and started stuffing my shirt back under my chest strap. i did my damndest to shove him away from me, laughing my ass off, yelling, "just leave it!!! just leave it!!!"

when we landed, he came over to me and said, "you really want to do a naked skydive, don't you". um...DUH!!! :P

We are such typical guys. A thread about sports has our attention. Suddenly a boob appears! This is the best hijacking I've seen so far.:)
Ladies, take this as a hint. If you want us away from the TV, just show us some boob!:P

naturally i would get along with a beer loving canadian...as long as you're not drinking that canadian shit beer!!!

oooh! unless it's fin du monde...or maudite...that stuff knocks me on my ass...or my boobie - since that seems to be the hot topic.