scottbre

Balloons at Richmond

I know there was some mention of them doing balloon jumps at Richmond on the weekend of Aug. 23, but can anyone confirm this? Are they doing them the whole weekend? And is 90 bucks what the price is going to be?

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

balloons will be there the weekend before the boogie

Right, but by "the weekend before..." does that mean Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, or only Saturday and Sunday, just Saturday? What days will they be there?

I'm interested in coming but I don't want to get there and get a "Oh we did that yesterday," or a "They don't get here until tomorrow."

:)

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Hey guys,

Sorry for being so late on this post but ive been at the Dz all week and im kinda slow. The 23rd-25th will be the ballon fest at Richmond, That is the weekend they will be there. The price hasnt been confirmed yet but i do know they charge 140 for a full 45 mins ride, and i doubt theyre gonna charge us full price cause all were doin is goin up. I hope to see some faces from Dz.com here that weekend and dont forget the next weekend is BOOGIE BABY sweet shit. Gonna have a good time
Untill then this is Shortbus saying so long..

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man

>and i doubt theyre gonna charge us full price cause all were doin is goin up.

We burn more fuel going up in 15 minutes then they do on a 30 minute tour. The balloon operator I spoke to last week was telling me the hells we put their balloos through when we jump them. Every time they take them up with jumpers takes a lot out of the balloon. We got a bargin at 90 a slot on the Balloons at WFFC.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Every time they take them up with jumpers takes a lot out of the balloon. We got a bargin at 90 a slot on the Balloons at WFFC.

Care to elaborate on that? I can't believe that at $90.00 a person for a ten minute ride they weren't making a fortune.

Any balloon pilots here care to explain the 'hells we put through their balloons'? I just don't buy it.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

If you've seen how distorted the balloons get and the stress that they go through its easy to understand why finding a balloon to jump is hard. The balloon I was on the second time I a big burn hole from lighting it up to climb. Thats not cheap to fix. they also use Liquid propane that is expensive. Accourding to the crew I chatted with it takes about 1/3 - 1/2's tanks to due 2 hops and the light up sequence. We watched the balloon spirl down when deflated to do a rapid decent becasue they are not made to fly with just one person in them. The pilot was'nt happy it did that ;)

TandemTerry from Rec. is a balloonist and would be a great reasource on this issue since I know he's taken up jumpers before.

>making a fortune.
As for this... they have to pay for the balloon (not cheap.. think any where from 2000 to 6000 for very used or 30000+ new ), fuel, chase truck, the wear and tear on the balloon, the crew cost, vacation time from work spent, hotel cost for a week plus, only getting to fly with no winds so any day could be a wash... etc. After talking to the one crew at the entertainment tent they said they make money, but they are mainly doing it for fun. They said would make more in the long run if they stuck to just passengers that never get above 1500 feet. ( I know... I asked the same question)

On a side note I think the ballons only flew 3 or 4 times in the evening the entire convention, the morning loads were rarely scratched.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The balloon I was on the second time I a big burn hole from lighting it up to climb.

This bears no weight. The pilot would have burned the hole in the balloon with or without jumpers. It's not our fault that he screwed up.

Accourding to the crew I chatted with it takes about 1/3 - 1/2's tanks to due 2 hops and the light up sequence.

I'd believe that, but I have no sympathy for the pilots. I can't imagine that that much propane is that expensive, besides, they're more than making their money back on us.

We watched the balloon spirl down when deflated to do a rapid decent becasue they are not made to fly with just one person in them.

Does the spiraling cause extra wear and tear on the balloon? It may not look pretty, but does it actually damage the balloon, the basket, the suspension lines, or any other hardware? If so, I'd like to know what and why.

TandemTerry from Rec. is a balloonist and would be a great reasource on this issue since I know he's taken up jumpers before.

Yeah, and I'd ask him about the wear and tear on balloons if I thought it wouldn't somehow lead to why Roger Nelson is a crook and a dick. [:/]

After talking to the one crew at the entertainment tent they said they make money, but they are mainly doing it for fun. They said would make more in the long run if they stuck to just passengers that never get above 1500 feet. ( I know... I asked the same question)

Well, they're making money and apparently they're making enogh money to cover the operating costs (their time, wear and tear, etc...) and make a little profit on top of that. Be it flying jumpers or flying tourists they're doing it for profit and they're succeeding. Consider a balloonist takes two hops of 5 people, that's $900.00 for approximately 20 to 45 minutes of actual air time, not a bad deal if you ask me.

On a side note I think the ballons only flew 3 or 4 times in the evening the entire convention, the morning loads were rarely scratched.

Were the morning loads ever scratched? Most of the evening loads flew as well, I think only two or three were cancelled due to wind.

The balloonists may complain of wear and tear or anything else about flying jumpers, but at $90.00 a jump they're making more than enough money to cover their costs. I respect the pilots for taking time out to accomodate us, but I don't want to hear about how flying jumpers is bad for the balloon, especially with the money they're making.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Consider a balloonist takes two hops of 5 people, that's $900.00 for approximately 20 to 45 minutes of actual air time, not a bad deal if you ask me.

In a five-person basket, only four jumpers can ride -- the pilot takes up a space, too. Also, the baskets aren't always filled up. On my balloon jump, both hops carried only two jumpers each in a four-person balloon.

I'm really not thinking they're making much money off us.
Skydiving is for cool people only