Antithesis

Skydive musicians

Just a thought... ...

One of my two passions in life is music, the other is of course skydiving. Is it just me at my little dz in michigan or are there not many skydiver musicians?
I Haven't played in a band in a while but I think that would be the coolest thing in the world to have a skydivers only band... skydivers playing for skydivers singing songs about skydiving, even doing the classic jump music covers. I don't know about you guys but I would rather listen to a band of skydivers at a boogie like the WFFC than some moderately talented college cover band who doesn't even know why they are starting out the set with "hey asshole!"

Just a though.. are there any other musicians out there. Has this concept already been done?

Peace and blue skies
BGS

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

I jumped with a guy from Perris a couple years ago who was in a band. They had just hit their 10 minutes of fame at the time (he proved it by turning on the radio and waiting about 15 minutes for their song). I don't really follow pop music much, so I'm not sure how he made out after that.

I think he was the only skydiver in the band though.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I play lead trumpet for the Texas A&M Jazz Band and I also play blues Harmonica, not in an outside band besides that, though. Although I would get a big kick out of playing harp (harmonica...) in a skydiver band.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Has this concept already been done?

from the dj perspective... we've had a few parties out here where skydivers were on the decks all night. which reminds me, i think we're overdue for one!

bands require a lot more work and coordination. if anyone in socal wants to give it a shot, i'm down for it... guitar, bass, keyboards, programming, etc. as long as it doesn't take any time from my already full schedule! ;)

steve

Remember the song? I found a video in a skydiving archive from a band called "Good Charlotte" (or something like that) but it wasn't that good and they could barelystay stable in the air. Good for them anyway though. If they do jump alot at least they have something to do on rainy days.

Peace

The video you are talking about was a personal video the kid had mixed to the original Good Charlotte video. The person was from Rec.skydiving and I seem to remember his Brother?? breaking some bones recently jumping.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I play the guitar, Bass, keyboards.. .. Although I have been in bands (that played out) in the past I mostly play for fun now. Same deal though, I'd give it a go if I found the right fun group of people.

But you're on the other side of the country man

Peace

i play acoustic guitar. mostly covers, but i have written a few original things which have not been shared with any of the public. writing stuff is a release for me. I've done a few CDs for families I work with, etc. my fender is with me most of hte time. ;)

Same here mostly. I used to write alot.(just for personaly expression). To the point that I would carry a notebook with me wherever I went. But since I started playing the guitar all I have to do is pick up and play, It doesn't matter what, I make it up as I go..

Peace

mostly what i do is write in my spare time. i tend to write a lot of stream of consciousness style stuff, it's easy to set to music. my junior year of college i took a piece of prose i had written and set it to music for full SATB choir and orchestra, it was pretty modern, using a lot of 12 tone stuff but actually in the end had a tonal center... it was premiered at a concert that year on campus. not too bad.

Awesome! That would be soo cool to hear some thing I wrote come to life like that in an orchestra.

I play into my computer now for fun. I have a few programs that let me plug whatever instrument in that has a jack. I've put togather some fun tunes, nothing polished but definately fun. I tried to compose a synphony once. It sucked! Definately sucked! Did I mention that it really sucked. It also brought me someplace that I did not want to go... Ever see the movie shine? Well enough about that.

Peace

Right... this kid had taken their video and chopped it apart and added footage of him in so make it look like a music video.

There was a local band "13 Grand" that played a few of the boggies at my DZ last year that was all active skydivers and one person that had did a tandem.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I play guitar and sing..yes Ive got at least one song directly related to skydiving.
I plan on doing the same thing when I m in Las vegas. (may have to settle for whuufos though....Ill trun them into one of us though!)
My photos

My Videos

The guitar player for the country band diamond Rio is a skydiver, name is Jimmy Olander. I don't normally listen to country, but they're pretty good.

I got to jump with him earlier this year when they did a radio promo at our DZ.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

They're pretty good, for a commercialized sounding country band (i.e. all that shit coming from Tenn.), although I prefer Texas Music (Texas Country, i.e. Jerry Jeff Walker, Pat Green, etc), they're still pretty good. Even better now that I know one jumps.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sibson in England have a DZ band called Grounded!!!
They are made up completely of AFF instuctors who were getting board being grounded due to bad weather, so they picked up a base and a guitar and they were away!

They play at the BPA dinner dances each year and loads of pubs around the country. pretty popular.
And yea, i think it would better to listen to them at the WFFC than onther woffo band!

( Rhino is one of the band members, but I don't think it's our dz.com rhino! )