BikerBabe

So much for that Olympic gold medal

The IOC rejected "air sports" as a new sport to include in the Olympics yesterday, which is basically skydiving events. They also rejected chess, thank goodness. However, they want to include golf. But not racquetball or squash.

Hmmm...sometimes their definitions of "sport" are interesting.

They are also thinking of cutting out baseball. Sorry, but baseball is more of a sport than, say...ice dancing?

http://krd.realcities.com/ads/media/network/sports/popup3.htm
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Your link seems to be not working quite right.

In a way it kind of sucks, but in a way I see that as also a good thing. I was never a big fan of the way that the FAI wanted to run 4-way for the Olympics.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well Ice dancing is a very difficult sport... Chess however is not by definition a sport. I would rather see ping-pong (table tennis) omitted in favor of keeping baseball. What could they be thinking? Baseball is well..........Baseball. Or omit curling...It really comes down to $$ and what the public will watch the most. It's called sponsorship and tv ads.

OK, so a committee of corrupt geriatrics rejected us. Look at them, on a stake out for bribes! Golf an Olympic sport? Will the caddy get a gold medal too? The IOC is a joke, a sick, corrupt, greedy, senile joke[unsure]
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Her we go: a complete list...
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2002-08-30-ioc-cuts_x.htm

The IOC's executive board is considering several proposals for changes made in a report by the IOC's program commission. The board took some action Thursday, such as rejecting the requests of 14 sports that wanted to be added for the 2008 Summer Games. The recommendations below, if passed, would become effective at the 2008 Games in Beijing, unless otherwise noted.

Recommended cuts:

Baseball
Modern pentathlon
Softball.
Recommended additions:

Golf
Rugby
Recommended cuts of disciplines within sports:

Badminton, mixed doubles
Canoe-kayak, slalom canoe
Equestrian, three-day event
Rowing, all lightweight events
Sailing, keelboat class
Shooting, unspecified disciplines
Swimming, synchronized team
Track and field, racewalking
Wrestling, one unspecified discipline
Rejected new sports:

Air sports, such as parachuting
Ballroom dancing
Billiards
Boules, a French game similar to boccie
Bowling
Bridge
Chess
Polo
Racquetball
Roller sports
Squash
Surfing
Underwater sports, such as fin swimming
Water skiing
New sports still under review (could be added by 2008 Beijing Games):

Karate, Wushu (Chinese martial art)
Rejected new disciplines:

Soccer, futsal (indoor, five-per-side)
Gymnastics, aerobics and acrobatics
Boxing, women's
Disciplines added (effective 2004):

Fencing, women's sabre
Disciplines cut (effective 2004):

Fencing, women's team foil

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

OK, so a committee of corrupt geriatrics rejected us. Look at them, on a stake out for bribes! Golf an Olympic sport? Will the caddy get a gold medal too? The IOC is a joke, a sick, corrupt, greedy, senile joke

Tsk tsk!! Not all of them are corrupt , greedy and senile....that's like saying all skydivers are trashy low lifes. I happen to know a couple of really honest hard working folks on the IOC......just because the media says something doesnt make it so.
Furthermore,synchro team wont be cut....the $$ is there as are the numbers. We go through this all the time. Again.....it just doesnt make it so.

"Though first demonstrated in Helsinki for the 1952 Olympics, it wasn’t until 1984 that synchro’s solo and duet events were admitted into the Olympic Games. In 1996, the popular team event replaced the solo & duet events."
http://www.worldwideaquatics.com/olympics/aboutsynchro.htm
You're right. They cut my event. Ah yes... all the elements of a great sport - tight swimsuits, grace, women, hair gel... ;)