Pammi

Whuffo's Representing Skydiving

Well sorry to brake the news, but according to some on this thread (who's names I shall not mention in order not to put them to shame...) that is just not good enough.No Sir, your friend is not a true skydiver for he has not been 10 years in the sport.

ONE MORE TIME. No one is saying that you aren't a skydiver if you haven't been jumping for ten years. And, whether you want to accept it or not, you won't understand until you have been jumping for ten years or so. You can't. You haven't been around long enough to have developed the "long view" that is required to get it. Judging by your posts on this thread, I kinda wonder if you'll get it even then, should you still be jumping on the tenth anniversary of your first skydive.

Nice job dissing someone who a few posts back you said this to -

It's a pleasure. Am also happy you wrote. Sure must
be funny to have your name used as argument in a discussion.

As a matter of fact in the last two months I met only one person, who jumped a tandem and then went for AFF.

I actually did two tandems before deciding to become a skydiver. There was a gap of four years between tandem number one and me starting AFF. I guess I wasn't ready. I can tell most of the tandems at my dropzone aren't going to become skydivers. Of course, I can tell most of the students at my dropzone aren't going to become skydivers either. It takes a certain something that a lot of people just don't seem to have.

Ahhhhh.... the old type A personalities that are so common in jumpers are present in this thread again...

I was talking to one of the jumpers that has 20 years 8000+ jumps last weekend and he was talking abot all the friends he's had that have quit jumping. He named 25 off the top of his head. He named another 5 or so off that died directly to the sport and some that died due to things related to the sport (flying etc) He mentioned that out of the original crew from when he started him and the DZO are about it. Even from the year I finished my AFF only 2 other people are still jumping. One of those jumps once every 6 weeks or so, the other is me. It tends to be niches that stay in the sport for years... ie teams, close groups of friends things like that... most recreational jumpers that I've met love jumping but after 300 jumps it seems like the payback is'nt enough for them to spend that much time and money anymore. That or they show up just at special events and are more of a danger then anything else.In 2 years of active jumping I've seen countless jumpers (so many I forget their names and faces... videos are the only thing that reminds me they jumped) with WAY more experience then me just walk away or are "taking breaks". It happens... and I think that its a stronger person that can walk way then it is someone that continues to jump even after it's lost all of its fun.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

425 jumps and 3 years? Enuf! If you enjoy the sport and have people who will jump with you, who cares what they say about the 10 year business and being a real jumper. Don't worry about what some of these people say. The sport doesn't exist for their sake alone.

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

"I think there is alot to say for that!!! "
I am not exactly sure what it is, but you are right, it is something. If a person goes up in the plane and steps out the door, then they overcame an obstacle. They have faced a personal fear. Granted, it is not the same as having 100 jumps, but it is a personal triumph. Once you step out that door, your flavor of reality definitely changes.
"There are things known and things unknown and in between are the doors"—William Blake

Relax...Take a deep breath...Relax...don't take things so seriously...take a deep breath...relax...learn to take a joke...it's all about fun............and if you don't know Kathy you are not a skydiverB|B|B|
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

In my reply to Phreezone I did not mean to denigrate the value of the gifts given us by those of long experience who help us along as we learn (well-known orgainzers, instructors, DZOs at Perris, Skydive Chicago, Sebastian, SD America, Zhills, Hinckley, etc. - my experience). I think some of the negative thoughts have to do with those who have years of experience AND talk about being a "real" skydiver, and who are perceived to have an "attitude" (for whatever reason they have this attitude).

Your response gives the sense of humility and great caring about the sport. My thanks to you and others whose gifts I sometimes think of when I've done a truly good skydive, free-fly or RW. At about 1200 jumps and 5 years, I still consider myself moderately experienced. The more I learn, the more I know there is so much more to learn yet. Hope to jump with you some day (Perris?).

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Luke, I sense anger in you. Don't let the Dark Side take over your emotions;)
I might never get it. Then again what do I care. Your oppinion is your oppinion. I am making fun of you guys and you are taking it all too serious. So, who did not get it?B| I suppose being to intense makes you loose perspective. I'm just a happy camper riding the waves of life. If you don't believe me, come jump with me:)Peace
jraf

Muff #3275

This thread makes me think of Tiger Woods. A few years back when he won his first Master's, the old dinosaurs couldn't deal with it because supposedly he didn't pay his dues and was not in the sport long enough. Well in actuality, he just has raw talent, became the first African American to win the title, became the youngest to win the title and I believe he ended up 16 strokes ahead of the second place winner.

Another person who comes to mind is Tara Lipinski.

You got ir brother! I don't claim to be the Tiger Woods of skydiving, but I'm doing just fine. Got loads to learn, yet I do understand why I am doing it. The thing is I just am against developing personality cults to the likes of Mao and Stalin. At ZHills I get a lot of input and most valuable advice from Pip Redvers. I think he has got more than 14,000 jumps now. If I tried to use him as the "if you don't know then..." example, he would consider me mad. And I prize him for that - he is just a really nice guy.
jraf

Muff #3275

I have done 4-way scrambles with Ed Ganley and later jumped with him at his DZ at Connellsville (PSC) in Fayette County, Pa. He is selling the DZ and I am sorry if it also means he will be leaving the sport. He and his partner were cool to me and are assets to skydiving.

Harry

Harry, FB #4143

No doubt about it Ed Ganley is a good guy. Skydive Pittsburgh was my first DZ away from ZHills. I had fun with them and was impressed both with their cordiality as well as with the superb Demo rigs they have. I am pretty sure he is just selling the DZ and not quitting the sport.
jraf

Muff #3275

"True. But the DZ or DZO can. My experience has been that I always had to prove myself when I had my A-license. I've been told I can't jump because of winds"

You've indeed had bad experience. I've seen DZOs impose a 200 jump limit, but never 8 for a license holder. Must have been a wierd DZ, probably a tandem factory which wants to discouraged experienced jumpers.

Wierd that it was in Kansas; I though the wind there was never less than 20.

HW

I feel for you. I had the chice of Richmond alone or ZHills with my brothers. Chose my brothers - they are arriving in Orlando in just about 90 minutes. We will have FUN:)B|
jraf

Muff #3275

In five more years it'll be ten years for me. Aside from the "long view", I hope to still love the sport as I do now. Sometimes I worry about a feeling gradually evolving (lack of challenge, experiences, change of viewpoint for whatever reason) to make the sport seem old, wishing for the joy and enthusiasm I feel now and not being able to get it back. Although I don't feel now that the joy will fade, I am inspired by those who keep the feeling and pray I always will.

Harry:D

Harry, FB #4143

I just don't get it. You know, I don't get much respect because I only jump twice a week or so. Even though I live with an SDU and canopy coach, spend most of my waking hours and dreamtime living a skydiving life, etc. Two or three jumps a week - that is what I want right now.

I know a lot of people who haven't jumped at all in a while, because of money or work or whatever, but they still love this sport. I still think they are skydivers. There is a guy at Dallas who jumped ages ago in the military but doesn't anymore because of health reasons. Yet he runs a cafe for us, is an EMT and firefighter, - usually first on the scene at a jumping accident - and so forth and spends more than five days a week at the dz. Is he not a skydiver? He understands our mentality better than I do. I think he should be considered a skydiver, but he's just not actively jumping.

I think the statement that there is some elitist bullshit going on here is true. In my opinion, once a skydiver, always a skydiver. That doesn't necessarily make you an ACTIVE skydiver (read my other post!).

Cheers,

"If some activity is really a part of someone's makeup, a part of who they are, then they won't be ABLE to stop doing it. "

I'll agree, they might not want to stop. I don't agree that if you HAVE to stop jumping, that you somehow lose the love for the sport and the emotional lessons about life that you learn. Skydiving has definitely changed my personality, life, and perspectives. I don't think it is possible to lose that. If I quit skydiving, I will remain a "skydiver".

I attended a party for a friend who was forced (shoulder injury) to leave the sport. He had over 9,000 jumps and was recognized by everyone in the sport as one of the best. He is still one of the best skydivers in the world in my opinion, even though he cannot jump.

Bill

Agreed and agreed. I really didn't expect the thread to turn so serious, but it's a good debate. It *does* however both sadden and infuriate me at the same time that some people believe that the money, time and effort that some people spend on the sport were not adequate enough to have them taken seriously because they didn't give up an important part of their lives also (and may not if that situation should arise). I feel more sorry for someone who would put skydiving about family/friends/children. THOSE are the things that will sustain me for the rest of my life. Skydiving is just my fun and release from life. I love that some people can dedicate their lives to the sport and am very respectful of them. But I don't think less of anyone who have other life priorities. For myself, my children and family, will ALWAYS be my number one priority. It doesn't mean that if I should have to quit for them for some reason that I really wanted to or didn't want to jump any longer, it just means that I'm willing to sacrifice my wants and needs for those I love. I have done such things in the past, and will do it in the future if it was necessary. I will never, however, lose my love of the sky and how it feels to be in it.

All of them were just as excited, just as "addicted", just as into the sport as you are now. But shit happened and they couldn't deal with it or they weren't willing to give up some other part of their life for skydiving.

I don't think it's about skill, time, number of jumps, giving up things to prove your dedication or anything other then the love and understanding of what it is that we do. Fulfillment and happiness; doing it at the expense of those I love would not achieve that for me.

Blue ones guys.