lazide

Why did you get into the sport?

I got into it probably for similar reasons as most... I always wanted to do it and thought it would be an incredible rush.

I keep coming back because I love the challenge of freeflying. There's always something new to try, always something to improve on. I've yet to be in a sport with the endless possibilities of skydiving.

Most things I try I get bored with after a couple of years. I'm not even anywhere close to bored with this. I'm just scratching the surface.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

At the time I started, my life was up-side-down. I thought, "I want to do something really crazy." Skydiving was the first thing that came to mind. I haven't stopped since. Now, my life is still up-side-down, but skydiving keeps things in perspective. :|
It's not flying--it's falling with STYLE...

For the sole purpose of gettin laid."Look at me,I skydive"Went through aff askin,what level I got to pass to get laid"? ((completed aff and got married,WTF?)
Seriously,This is a subject that some people wont understand but I got sober and life's possibilities opened up to me.Skydiving was something that wasn't possible for someone in my "condition".I got sober and did a tandem.That was it,no need to climb Everest,(I'd have to quit smoking),I have found skydiving to be the all encompassing reward as far as being safe,paying attention,having fun and being responsible(for my life and yes,not killin my fellow skydivers).Oh,yeah,chicks that skydive are HOT !
Well,you asked
dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

:)
My entry into the sport was a fluke that came as a result of watching skydivers for ten years!

The Gimli Manitoba dropzone operates from WW II hangars set on one side of a twin 7200 foot runway complex located about three miles West of Lake Winnipeg (6th Great Lake I think!) The other runway supports various motorsport activities... where I had been ' weekend living' since 1992. So into it was I that I had become the Race Director for the Winnipeg Sports Car Club as of late 2000. By late August 2001, though, I'd had enough of the politics and pressures of the job. Think of the worst DZ politics you can and cube it (racers are type A++ personalities:S) to get an idea.

I had a $100 bill in my pocket leftover from the August race weekend. By sheer coincidence my DZ was running a $100 FJC on labour day weekend (only). Guess what I decided to do? I knew nobody and nothing about the sport except that I had been watching it as a Whuffo (!!) for ten years.

Since that fateful FJC weekend last September I've made 112 jumps and have missed only ONE weekend (...and if I'd have known it would be the only one I'd miss in a year I might have skipped Dad's BD party on the other side of the lake!)

The Dave

Top of photo is Road Racing Circuit (1.33 miles, lap record 54 sec, Gilles Villeneuve, 1978). There are 2 "bowls" below the lower runway. The left one is a helipad, the right one is 150 foot dia. pea gravel pit used for international SAREX competitions. Guess where we're "not supposed to land?" :P

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Over the Gimli Dropzone.JPG

Now, my life is still up-side-down, but skydiving keeps things in perspective.

And perspective is relative if you freefly. ;)

It's rightside up, now upside down, now up again... no wait, upside down. :S

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

At first I did it to test myself and to build my self confidence...it is still that but also the people and the rush...and also because I am totally addicted and do not want to ever stop...

...I saw a picture from the top of the space needle the other day and all that I could think of was jumping it...I cannot get my head out of the clouds...I stand outside and hear a plane overhead and my eyes are glued to the plane, wondering how high it is or how it would be to jump from it at that moment...

"Chicks Dig It" A (long) while back, I met a woman in a bar who was recently divorced and moved in with Mom. We talked and she was going to come out to the dz for the day. I called on Sunday morning, her Mom picks up the phone and informs me that I cannot date, or talk to, her daughter until I quit skydiving. :o I plan to give her a call in a while. Sometime around the year 2045. ;)

It was a drunken promise amongst friends to do AFF and I soon realized the following:
Skydiving is fun
It keeps me out of trouble(well kinda;))
The people are awesome and I make new friends at the DZ all the time
I love airplanes, airports, everything aviation, flying
I enjoy having "a few brews" at the end of the day with others like me
It keeps getting better and better and betterB|

At the time I had just gotten out of the military and I had more money than sense.
Skydiving was "one of the things I always had been thinking about doing" (heard that one before?). I realized that I may never get a better opportunity so I signed up for AFF at a DZ not far from where I was planning to live.

I remember I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that there where no Sgt Satan type instructors and no running or PLFs from 2 meter high walls. It took a while until I got really hooked, but quitting never seemed like an option.
---
PCSS #10

Skydiving was on my mental list of "things to do" - stuff I would try just once so I could say "been there- done that" Y'know? Little goals--

So one weekend a few friends and I decided to go to Hinckley and do tandems- That was it for me- all winter I saved up my $$ and that next Spring I did my S/L at SkyKnights - The rest is history!

I have know idea what happened to the other guys- I think they spend thier weekends watching football or playing golf or something-

Skydiving has changed my life and my perspective - Some changes came about quickly and some are still slowly manifesting themselves. It has also changed some people's perspective on me, too- either I'm "that crazy SOB skydiver-" or "He's cool- He's a skydiver!!"

My wife thinks skydiving is more important to me than she is-
mmmmm - Maybe?

I know the people are great, everywhere you go - I don't think I've ever met a skydiver I didn't like- (some I like more than others, but that's another story-) And it doesn't matter who you are, what you do for a lining, how much money you have or where you come from - Once you set foot on a DZ you're all skydivers!

Easy Does It

I grew up in San Diego,CA as a Navy Brat,my dad used to take us to the airshows at NAS Miramar.Well of course I'd oooh and aaah at the Blue Angels and all the other planes,helicopters ect...But what really got my total attention was the Navy Leapfrogs Parachute Team,I'd stand there in awe thinking that when I got older I was going to do that. Well,now I do "that" and its my passion in life,thats why I continue in this truly awesome sport.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

i just wanted to tyr it out .. mostly because i like to try new things... fell in love with the sport on my first jump.. two years and a shit load of money later i'm still jumping... working on becomeing a uspa rated coach... then when i'm ready become an AFF and tandem instructor... i'm hooked for life... i love this sport!!!!!
just jump!!!
gopher

I had this big ol story but instead of boring you with that I'll just get to the point.

It's the beer!!!!!B|

Actually, it's been the biggest thrill of my life and skydivers are the most diverse and fun loving crowd of people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Oh yeah and the beer!!!

SHUT UP AND JUMP

Jay

Did a tandem about a year and a half ago with a group of friends jsut to see what it was like and just to be able to tell people I did it. I was in awe. When they told me I could go back up again the same day cheaper then the last jump I wanted to go so bad. but it was late in the afternoon and we had a long drive ahead and my friend that was driving was not willing to wait for me - I was the only one who enjoyed it.
I kept saying I was going to do AFF. Went online, got all the info and facts. Kept saying I was going to do it. Ended up dating someone for a while and forgot about AFF. After about a year of dating we broke up last May. A week or two later I bought the seven level AFF package. Maybe someday - like real soon - I'll actually have my license. Just a few more jumps and some other minor details. I'm not giving this up anytime soon. It gets better with each jump. I never expected to meet so many encouraging people.

Respect the Dolphin