-Joey-

Pulse: Does it really pack smaller? What is the final verdict?

I'm trying to figure out if a Pulse 190 will fit in a Mirage G3 M2.

Thanks Mirage, for not publishing container volume sizes. Also thanks PD, for not publishing pack volumes. You guys are my heros.

The sizing guide (http://www.miragesys.com/sizing-guide/) for the M2 says it can fit other PD canopies that are 170 square feet. So if PD's advertising claims are true then I should be able to fit a Pulse 190? (In case it matters, the M2 will have a 143 PDR and no AAD.)

What have others' experiences been with pack volume in the Pulse? Anyone actually successfully fit it into an M2? Thanks in advance!
Skydiving is serious business

As another poster mentioned, upsizing your main should be accompanied by upsizing your reserve. No AAD is a choice.

You might also want to read the recent threads on containers that are packed really, really, tight, and the impact that can have on how quickly the reserve opens, particularly when it's a total.

Personally, I'd much, much rather have a rig that's a little softer instead of hard as a rock. It's more comfortable, and my rigger doesn't cringe when I walk through the door, and it's much, much easier for me to pack.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm not upsizing or downsizing anything; just browsing classifieds and trying to put a rig together (I've been on student gear until now). Sure a bigger reserve would be nice and so would an AAD but money is my primary consideration :)
The volume comparison chart posted above indicates it would fit... but I was hoping for some more anecdotal evidence?

Sure a bigger reserve would be nice and so would an AAD but money is my primary consideration :)

Sigh...

Lol... I would buy this rig in a heartbeat if it weren't purple: http://www.dropzone.com/classifieds/Detailed/Complete_Systems/Vortex2_PD_Sabre2_190_Decelerator_180_Cypres2_AAD_144345.html

Why is it that every time I find the perfect rig for myself, it's either purple or pink? The sky gods have turned their hand against me or something.

With a black or gray jumpsuit, that'd look just fine. Nothing wrong with purple when it's not mixed with lots of other colors like a clown suit. If you don't like it that much, wear it with confidence -- you'll rock it, and that's a pretty good deal. You could try negotiating, too. I would.

I bought a used rig about 10 years ago that wasn't exactly to my liking, but it was a screaming deal, and I"m still jumping it. All that money I could have invested into gear was invested into jumps instead.

And it's got both pink and purple :S. But my jumpsuit doesn't :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think you should make up your mind about whether money or fashion is your first priority. It's obvious that safety is third. Personally I'd advise you to opt for the purple rig. I've been hanging out here for a while and Wendy is never wrong.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Sure a bigger reserve would be nice and so would an AAD but money is my primary consideration :)

For what its worth, my first rig had a PDR 160 reserve and Pilot 188 main. I debated on upsizing the reserve and thought, "hey the odds are 1 in 1000, lets roll the dice".

I went back and forth on this and ultimately swapped it out for a PDR 176. Guess what, 100 jumps latter I found my self with a ball of crap over my head and I can say for sure that when I pulled the silver handle I didn't say, "gee I wish I still had that PDR 160"

This sport is a bit like poking a tiger with a stick so its a good idea to have a really long stick. Some short cuts aren't worth taking, be safe and spend the money my friend

Cheers

I'm not upsizing or downsizing anything; just browsing classifieds and trying to put a rig together (I've been on student gear until now). Sure a bigger reserve would be nice

I paid $800 for my last Javelin J7 with a 253 reserve and expect you could do the same. I never encountered weather conditions where I'd be unwilling to jump that rig with a 245 main for classic accuracy but still be good to go with my fun-sized rig with 105 main and 143 reserve although I'd stick my head out and check the spot if ground winds were significant.

and so would an AAD but money is my primary consideration :)

How much of your salary is not covered by disability insurance?
What is your health insurance co-insurance share and out of pocket maximum?
What is your health insurance deductible?
Can you afford to do that a few years in a row when the first operation is not good enough?

Injuries in the US are _very_ expensive even with "good" insurance.

Without insurance they'll put you back together but you'll have a hard time getting access to good sports medicine people whose goal is to have you performing as well athletically as opposed to walking (not running) with a limp. The debt could also get in your way of doing things like buying a home.

Why is it that every time I find the perfect rig for myself, it's either purple
or pink?

You mean "salmon."

http://img1.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/2307/media/images/Light_Salmon_Pink_430089.png

Your manhood may feel less threatened if you use euphemisms for "girly" colors like mens shirt colors from the 1980s when more guys had enough testosterone to get away wearing such things. I'm assuming that was before your time - you might get some perspective from Miami Vice reruns.

The sky gods have turned their hand against me or something.

I have a mostly pink parachute in my wing suit rig. It works great, the price was right in part because it was pink, and if I ever cut it away (the rectangular shape makes that less likely) it'll be easy to find than my dark blue canopies.

What do you know? A customer of mine just handed me a Mirage M6 and a Pulse 210 to go with it! I've never packed a Pulse before. It's got an Optimum 193 as well. Both these canopies are at the "soft" end for the container. He did his research all by himself and chose this combination for comfort and safety. It will be easy for him to pack...and me too. Very smart man, engineer type.

I think I'm going to buy him a beer.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Medical costs in the U.S. are really high, just in case you haven't heard. ;):P

And yes, in my experience, they do pack smaller than another model of the same square footage.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

1st rigs... should be big, bulky, safe, and often times ugly creatures. As you progress and become a better skydiver both in free fall and more importantly under canopy should you look into fancy smancy gear. You'll have also gained a fair level of opinions on different gear, set ups, etc. which will make your selection process more refined.
Woot Woot!

gowlerk

What do you know? A customer of mine just handed me a Mirage M6 and a Pulse 210 to go with it! I've never packed a Pulse before. It's got an Optimum 193 as well. Both these canopies are at the "soft" end for the container. He did his research all by himself and chose this combination for comfort and safety. It will be easy for him to pack...and me too. Very smart man, engineer type.

I think I'm going to buy him a beer.

I really wish I had more customers like that. :|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

-Joey-

Thanks Mirage, for not publishing container volume sizes. Also thanks PD, for not publishing pack volumes. You guys are my heros.>>>

Sarcasm aside, perhaps this will help?

There is no "absolute," definable pack volume. Line type, pressure (weight) and density altitudes contribute to pack volume. The container manufacturer sizes their main bags according to the construction/volume restraints of their rigs.
In other words, it would be container manufacturers, not the canopy manufacturers that would have the best idea about what canopies their containers will hold

Most manufacturers even go so far as to get canopies (a lot of PDs) and do pack volume tests on their pack trays. Lastlly.....pack volume is such a grey area, that even PIA still debates accurate ways of doing it, so much so, that one propopsal was to place the canopy in a cylinder, put a wooded disc on top, then add X amount of weight to it as a standard, the resulting volume would be the published volume.
The X was the body weight of one of the members of the group.:P You can guess where that proposal got filed.

It may be frustrating at times, but at the end of the day, I'm not sure how either party could make specific determinations about each possible rig/canopy combination. It does seem to me that the proximate information from both canopy and container manufacturers is close enough for most. I'd still check with an experienced rigger before making a purchase. One person I trained bought a Mirage based on the size she thought would work for multiple canopy sizes (downsizing was in her plan) and the container she was told would fit "A 135 to 170" was not only pregnant with the 169 in it, but it was so tight she had a couple PCIT's.

It might take a bit of research (emails/phone calls) to best determine what is right for you.

-Joey-

I'm not upsizing or downsizing anything; just browsing classifieds and trying to put a rig together (I've been on student gear until now). Sure a bigger reserve would be nice and so would an AAD but money is my primary consideration :)

B|
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

DSE

....and density altitudes contribute to pack volume.

I know humidity (part of density altitude) affects pack volume, but are you saying that the actual altitude of the pack volume does?

If so, could you explain how?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

-Joey-

I emailed the seller of the purple rig and he said his price is firm [:/] Oh well. Safety IS my number one priority. I plan on buying as much safety as I can afford.

If you are seriously considering matching up a 190 main with a 143 reserve you need to do more research into what is considered safe. And yes, price is important, I agree with that. But this is a road too far.