fudd

Which job to take...

I got fired from my job and have my last day 31st of October. Now it seems like I can choose between two differnt jobs:
1. Hard core nettwork support/tech. Working with the big gigabit/terrabit international switches. This is really the networkers dream job. It's a temporary position, but if I get a permanent position I can expect salary at about $75k / year from next year. Downside is that I can expect 12 hour work days. This is a high stress job.
2. Ski resort worker. This is a small alpine slope close to where I live. A lot of outside work. Watching ski lifts, driving snow scooters, snowboarding in the lunch break. This is a season job. (5-6 months) Expected salary: $15k-$16k
Need to find another job for the summer season. (hmm...work at the dz maybee :)Which one do I choose??? The high pay, high stress job with uniq career possibilities or
the low pay, fun job...
What would you do?

"The high pay, high stress job with uniq career possibilities or
the low pay, fun job..."

Which one gives you access to the most hotties?
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Which one gives you access to the most hotties?

The one that puts the most $$$ in your wallet? Me personally, I'd take the stressed better paying job - makes you enjoy the weekends more (and working in snowboarding, skydiving etc. might spoil it)

Thats what I did too Will in reality, kinda lame but I got a family to think about.:(

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Nothing lame about that, you have a family to provide for. Would you be happier if you were single and living and working on a DZ? Its a nice pipe-dream, but apart from the burnout factor, I want more from life. Unfortunately that means doing a job I don't always like.

Will

PS I bet at 3AM when you are changing nappies the single DZ life seems MIGHTY tempting... ;)

You're the only one who can answer this question. Only you know what makes you tick, where you are in your life on your wants vs. needs, how much a stressful job is going to affect your life, etc. I suggest you draw a line down the center of a paper, and write the pros and cons of each job and decide from there.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

OK, thanks for the input. I have decided now, and I'll go for the high-stress-high-pay job. Called them and said yes. I'm starting monday. I think I would be happier snowboarding in my lunch break, but that job wont make me enough to support my skydiving habit [unsure].
Anyway, the networking job is really challenging. Lots of stuff to learn and a dream job really. Now I have to go buy a bottle of champagne to celebrate B|.
Today is a great day!!!! :)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You got that right brother

Damn. Admitting when Skreamer is right is almost as bad as admitting when Clay is right. >:(

Luckily, neither one occurs very often. ;)

I say go for the job with the bucks, especially if you aren't locked into it. You can earn some major cash. If you could live on the salary of the other job, you could put away some major savings in addition to buying some sweet skydiving gear. You would work your ass off during the week, but then you'd have the cash to travel on the weekends, go to boogies, and take skydiving vacations wherever you want.

I think the allure of working in a ski resort would fade pretty quick. The hotties probably don't want to shack up with the help. You won't have the cash to do much. Getting sucked into the politics and crap at a job makes you less inclined to stick around on your time off. So the free or discounted ski/board time is likely to go unused, because of the urge to get the hell away from there.

By doing the "corporate thing", you can make the cash to do the things you want, and you will have the freedom to blow big wads of money on skydiving weekends and stuff.

Just my $.02.

Like Skreamer, I chose the corporate job. Like Nacmac, I also do it because I have a family to support.

LOL! I love that pic of you, skymama...because every time you give advice, I can see you doing it in such a low key, smiling manner, just like your photo...it is such a cute picture!

Haha, thanks Skygal, what a great thing to hear first thing in the morning! I am pretty low-key, but I'm sure the quality of my advice is pretty debatable.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Apparently the secret to enjoying life is working your ass off while you are young, so that you can invest enough for a pension. Once you have a significant sum invested, then you can take to dream job.
I go the dream job, (got paid to do 7 jumps yesterday) but quit the Canadian Armed Forces too early for the pension.
Oh well, maybe I will get it right in the next life!

I'm assuming you're in your 20's, and single (otherwise, ski resort probably wouldn't be on the list). Of course, I see later on that you picked high tech, but my question was always:

-Will the ski resort job still exist if the high-tech one goes away or sucks?
-Will the high tech job still exist in the spring?

Even if someone ends up deciding on the low-paying fun job, there's a good chance that they'll change later (what good is life if you can't?).

Wendy W.
(did both...)
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)