weegegirl

Driving under the influence. What's okay?

The reason I bring this up, is that a LOT of drinking happens down at the dz once the beer light goes on. I've heard stories about people getting arrested for DUIs leaving the dz. I was just currious how others felt about this topic. What goes on at your dz?

Let, he who is without fault cast the first stone! However driving drunk is a bad idea. I have never hurt anyone doing so - hurt my finances though. Ripped a bumper off once leaving the pearking garage. Bad ideaB|

jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Our DZ is pretty good for that sort of thing.

Mainly because everyone spends the nights there and there's no point to getting loaded on the night you're driving home.

I'm not the biggest drinker myself but I say to each their own... Of course that does not apply to drinking and driving because at this point you are endangering others. I get absolutely FURIOUS about this topic and think drunk drivers ought to be tarred, feathered and beaten to within an inch of their lives!... IMO

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I totally agree with you. I am not promoting driving under the influence at all. I was just curious about how others felt.

Here's what got me thinking this....

Yesterday, on my way home from work, I got caught at a red light. I have a neighbor who is a carpenter, who happened to pull up in his truck behind me. He didn't notice that it was me in front of him. Next thing I know, I'm watching him practically chugging a beer at the wheel of his car. This has really pissed me off. I don't know if I should just leave it alone, talk to him directly, or tell somebody. I think if I did anything, it would be to talk to him directly. I'm not out to get anyone in trouble, but this just pisses me off. And how am I going to feel if next week he kills a mother and child in a drunk driving accident??? MORAL DILEMMA!!!

Looking back to my High School days, I'm surprised I lived through to my graduation. Drinking, getting high and driving was my favorite hobby, next to playing bass guitar and drums- How stupid could we get?
I think, in Germany, one DUI costs you your license for life. Good deterrent from what I hear!

Easy Does It

That dilemma sucks. What to do depends on how close you are to your neighbor. If close, mention something to them about how they could be busted doing that and it isn't a good idea.

Luckily, we have pretty strict laws about DWI/DUI where I live. The blood alcohol limit is low (.06 or .08, I think) and if you are actually drinking while driving, I don't think it even matters. From my understanding, that is pretty much an automatic DWI even if it was your first sip and you are totally sober. I'm fine with that.

I've never been busted for DWI, and I never will, because I just won't do it. The days when it was even remotely "accepted" are long gone where I live. Drunk drivers should be happy I'm not in charge of the courts. They'd come in for DWI and I'd charge them all with Attempted Murder. >:(

I think it's total bull shit that a law can be made in the U.S.A that say's I can't drink a beer while driving my own car, I'm not saying driving drunk is O.K, It's not, But one beer is not drunk, I'm an adult, I pay my taxes that keep the road maintained, If this is the land of the free then how can someone say what I can or can not drink in my own car. I also think road blocks is total bull shit, If someone hurts someone or thing due to D.W.I. then throw the book, not before.

------Have a good one!--------

In hindsight, I kind of wish I had. Is it too late to go knock on his door tonight and say "WHAT THE F$#%?"

You have the benefit of hindsight now... If you go knock on his door now, he will also have the benefit of hindsight... If he had gotten into an accident and hurt/killed someone, hindsight would then become that which provides the guilt which hauts him for the rest of his life.

On the other hand, I have been in the car with a friend driving the looooong distance to meet others at a party. When we were 10-20 minutes away from the house, we both cracked open beers and had 2 and a bit in each of us before even pulling up to the house... I know the alcohol did not have time to enter the systme but still felt like I was "Breaking the law! Breaking the law!" It was kinda cool actually.

Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I think it's total bull shit that a law can be made in the U.S.A that say's I can't drink a beer while driving my own car, I'm not saying driving drunk is O.K, It's not, But one beer is not drunk, I'm an adult, I pay my taxes that keep the road maintained, If this is the land of the free then how can someone say what I can or can not drink in my own car. I also think road blocks is total bull shit, If someone hurts someone or thing due to D.W.I. then throw the book, not before.

Okay, listen... The problem with that, is that not everybody can set limits for themselves and be disciplined enough to take themselves off the road when they've reached the limit. So you're saying it's okay for people to go drive drunk and potentially cause a life threatening accident? If it happens, THEN we get upset? Or should we continue to try and prevent these things from occuring? Having one beer and driving is okay in most states. That's why there is a legal limit. If you are passed that legal limit, you are threatening the lives of others. I sincerely hope you never lose anyone close to you to a drunk driver or take the life of someone else while under the influence.

I do appologize if that sounds harsh. I love to party. I drink heavily. I have a good ass time doing it. But I have lost someone close to me, and I think that people need to act responsibly.

I have driven a car under influence once, but that was a emergency.. We had to go to the hospital and I was the least drunk...

BTW. Any Italians here ? I have heard that Italians dont have any promille-limit .. ? Anyone know for sure ?

I think, in Germany, one DUI costs you your license for life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish we could get that law passed here.

I like that, well, to a point. I'm all about second chances, but I'm very much for yanking their privalige to drive if caught more then once.

Since a very bad scare I had this summer after driving when I was very very drunk, I don't play that game anymore. I'll drink, then drive, but I do know what my limits are and since this summer, I do NOT compromise with them.

Oh and the scare wasn't the police or laws or anything like that, it was realizing what happened after the fact and it worrying me for my safety and everyone elses safety.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm Italian...lots of people in my family are drinkers (hehe, jtval for one :)I am not so sure what I think of that. If i drink, I don't drive. Thats all there is to it. I wish other people thought like me though....anyone ever hear that poem about the girl who went to the party and tells her mom she listened to what she said and drank soda instead? But she ended up getting killed by a person who was drinking. I don't want to end up paying for soemone else mistake like she did....

*daizey*

Oh and the scare wasn't the police or laws or anything like that, it was realizing what happened after the fact and it worrying me for my safety and everyone elses safety.

I had that same thing happen to me. I used to D&D all the time but one night I blacked out and woke up the next morning at home with my car in the driveway....scared the shit outta me, I'll never do that again.

Oz

I NEVER said it was O.K to drive drunk. What I mean is that people should be first allowed to "set limits for themselves and be disciplined enough to take themselves off the road" and if they don't then and only then should they be arrested and severely punished.
My problem is that because some people don't have that capability then I pay for it with my rights to make my own adult decision.
I'm almost 38 y/o, I need paper to figure out how many close friends of mine lost there lives due to drunk/druged/driving. Off hand I'm coming up with 8. And I wish they where all still here.
But just because some people over do it should all lose simple rights?. I'm just saying that it gets to a point when the laws get excessive, Like If I get caught with a "Open Container" of beer while driving, I get a 30 day loss of D.L, Hundreds if not thousands of dollars in penalties, a bad record, insurance hikes and possibly even lose my car, because I wanted to drink a beer on the ride home from work, ONE BEER.That is not right.
And don't even get me started about road blocks stopping people to see if there breaking the law or adults having to wear seat belts or bike helmets.
Laws should not be made to punish everyone.

------Have a good one!--------

Not true about Germany. Unless they passed a new law just last month. In Gremant you may have some booze in your system. Don't know how much, but it is not a great problem unless you get into an accident.
In France you are alowed .8. That is about the equivalent of a bottle of wine
In Saudi Arabia you are not allowed to own alcohol.;) I don't think they have a DUI rule?

jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

I think, in Germany, one DUI costs you your license for life.

I wish we could get that law passed here.

Ok, I'm not one to get on a high horse an spout my mouth often. But I do believe this is one of the stupidest ideas Justin I've seen you agree with. granted I've had a DWI / DUI an no it wasn't fun an I haven't had one in 10 years.

To enact a law that would take the DL of anyone caught driving while intoxicated would cram the jails an prisons full of people driving with out a DL. Doesn't make sense.

"When the jails are full the laws are wrong" - Socrates

[Flame On!]

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Yea, when you play enough Dungeons and Dragons to black out - it's time to quit.

If I laughed really hard at this, does that make me a giant pitiable geek?

I'm with the Bytch, btw. More than two beers requires some significant sober up time.
Skydiving is for cool people only

To enact a law that would take the DL of anyone caught driving while intoxicated would cram the jails an prisons full of people driving with out a DL. Doesn't make sense.

But the streets would be a lot safer for the rest of us! ;)

Seriously, things would go as you say for awhile, then a collective awareness would sink in and the law would provide effective deterence to the majority of the population. With repercussions that severe, most people would stop and think twice about driving drunk. Those that did it anyway would deserve to have their license yanked.

Just my $.02, of course.