ernokaikkonen

Chatting

No perhana.

I guess saving our daily ramblings on Sangiro's server isn't such a good idea.:P Using the DZcom chat(or any IRC-client to access #dropzone) would of course be a better solution, but the thing is that at least I'm firewalled out of irc-servers at "work" (And this is probably a pretty common setup).

So, an actual question(instead of the usual inane banter):

Does anyone know a way of accessing an irc server through port 80 only? Of course if there was an irc-server somewhere set on port 80 that would be the easiest solution... Another solution would be a middle-man server that would receive the packets from the user on port 80, and then send them to the irc-server on port 6667, and vice versa the other way. Has anyone ever made anything like this?

It would truly suck if I actually had to start working during my workdays...:|

I haven't got a clue what you are talking about in all the techno babble Erno, but I guess I agree with you on the waste of bandwidth thing....
I'm also firewalled out so a chat room would not work for me unless someone can come up some sort of workaround.....

What about some sort of compromise, what if threads in an identified forum were not backed up, or were autodeleted after a week/2 weeks/month or so.
Advantages....
This would be a place for babble, keeping the noise down on more relevant forums.
It might help to slow the melt down.
There wouldn't be a competition, real, imagined, or implied, to have the biggest thread etc.....
It might preventr valid threads from crumbling into a whoring fest....

Disadvantages
Threads would vanish forever, but at what loss? There was nothing of any real value on 'that thread', just a hell of a lot of good natured blethering.

"It would truly suck if I actually had to start working during my workdays..."
Well at least its a friday...:)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

"let's just agree to let a thread die after a few days, whatever the topic"

This would require discipline from us, the users, and there's no guarantee to control it.
Some threads get bumped up or resurrected and conversations fly off in different directions as new people join the fray...

I think we should just agree to keep the inane chat down for a while.

PS, Blue, thats a risque tag line ya got there....;)..I'm assuming your talking about your boss, but others may take it differently.:$:o;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

well sangiro locked that "chit chat" forum, but i'm sure he will come up with something, so that we can continue our quest :P

And another thing... today is friday and the day when we see reborn bluefingers, at least her picture with new hair and all... :)

"George just lucky i guess!"

seems the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. But lets face it, we're probably going to blether (LOVE that word!) regardless of what the thread is, let's just agree to let a thread die after a few days, whatever the topic

Kerry,

It's a bad idea to try and come up with strategies to "get around" this. I don't see how you're going to win that battle. This is a forum, not a chat room. Follow Erno's advice and find a way to meet on some IRC server or something and blether away there as much as you like.

If a discussion is skydiving related I will allow it to go on forever. Dropzone.com is not the place to create your own little conversation corner just to say "good morning", "what's the weather like" and "here's what I'm having for breakfast" every morning to a handful of other people.

I pay for this bandwidth, every one of those 12548 times someone loaded that thread to view another one-liner I paid.... Find another sponsor.

It's often more important to know when to stop than when to start.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Erno and Gang:

We have been violated. I hereby scream bloody murder and call the cops! Anyway, I have this secret chat room that you might, just might be able to acces. And it usually is empty. Try:

1. Dropzone.pl
2. Enter once the picture appeares
3. In the lower left corner there should be a word "CZAT" - enter that
4. once in put in your name
5. Enter

Please let me know if that works. If it does let's monopolize it B|

jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

We have been violated.

Sounds to me like Sangiro was violated 12548 times - more now since I loaded the thread to see what all the fuss was about. I had no idea Sangiro paid by the view. Seriously - don't look a gift horse in the mouth. We are all blessed to have a place like this to play, get serious information and advice about the sport we love and to be able to make friends world-wide. I can't believe HH let the thread go on as long as he did considering how much it was costing him.

love you hh
dove

Fall in dove.

I may have something for you - do any of you have any web space? Get a 'tag board' - the basic version is free. Firewalls won't block it, and there's no icon in the tray or software to install. I set one up for myself here
Check out http://www.tag-board.com/ - it's very easy to setup, and I'd even be willing to help you if you get stuck.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Thanks wildblue,

I've written one discussion forum, and I have access to some web-servers, so it would be trivial for me to setup a bare-bones forum. A proper real time chat room would just be better.

Because it wont be too easy getting around the firewalls at most work-places, I might just do that: setup a place for non-informative non-skydiving related chatting. Since I don't pay for any of the sites I have access to, I really have no reason not to do it, except lazyness. But since I'll be staying home for the weekend anyway due to my flu, I might do something "productive" with my time as well...:)

AIM works here at my company (and MSNIM), but I can't get on the chat on dz.com, probably because a lot of j-script gets blocked at the proxy.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I had no idea Sangiro paid by the view.

Heya Dove hon!

Just some clarification - I don't literally pay by the view. I pay for a bulk of bandwidth and I pay extra when we go over that. We go over every month. Every time a thread is viewed it deducts from this bandwidth quota. :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Think of it this way. Everytime you click on a link (here or anywhere) you're asking for something. To get something (i.e. the new webpage), it has to be delivered to you. The charge is in the delivery. Bandwidth can get expensive. Luckily on one of the sites I maintain, the ISP is also maintained by the customer so yes, I'm a bandwidth whore there.
-----
~~~Michael

Ok, I checked out the tag board thingie. Nice, but I'm not paying $20 to use their enchanced version cause I can make one myself. :)
The script only stores 2 megs of chatting, so it won't be bringing down the server or eating up the hard drive space. Not that it would matter, the server is a school project we did. And then we "forgot" to take it down...B|