AggieDave

Mig21 for sale on Ebay!

alright, if I get it I'll offer jump tickets for $50 per slot for dz.commers.

OK but, can I call the spot even though I'm attached to the bomb pod the entire ride up?B|

alright, if I get it I'll offer jump tickets for $50 per slot for dz.commers.

OK but, can I call the spot even though I'm attached to the bomb pod the entire ride up?B|

Sure man, as you wish.... :)

--
Hook high, flare on time

Dang!! Climb rate of 36,090 ft per minute!! Move over Frankenotter!!

According to my calculations, if you exited at 14,000 in that climb, you'd continue climbing without the plane for 12 seconds to an altitude of about 16,000 feet. That would be cool. Someone check my math. I'm too tired. :)
Dave

Well that's a wonderfull sales offer;) MiG 21 are a great design, with just one down side: They tend to fall out of the sky for no reason. Like many other examples of Soviet military design the are nicknamed "The Widowmaker" It also in an exceedingly ugly plane - essentially a large jet engine with a catapult ejector and a couple of funny looking wings affixed to it. Good luck to the happy buyer, and please do not fly over Florida!

jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

nevermind how true the actual auction is, my question is, is flying one of those things legal here?

[URL]http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi?pass=49616233&ref=-&mtd=41&cgi=%2Fcgi-bin%2Fnph-search_nnr&var=0&buf=66&src=_landings%2Fpages%2Fsearch_nnr.html&nnumber=21pf[/url]

That plane is certified as Experimental, Exhibition. That basically means its good for flying to and from airshows, but not a whole lot more. Not legal for giving rides for hire and that sort of thing.

There are 28 mig 21s registered in the US. All seem to be experimental, exhibition:

http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi?pass=49616233&ref=-&mtd=41&cgi=%2Fcgi-bin%2Fnph-search_nnr&var=0&buf=66&src=_landings%2Fpages%2Fsearch_nnr-complex.html&fld_nr1=2&pattern1=05602PQ%0D%0A05602Q5%0D%0A056037S%0D%0A0560644%0D%0A056163Q%0D%0A05616QY%0D%0A05618YS&fld_nr1=2&acman=&acmod=&pattern3=&fld_nr3=6&pattern2=&fld_nr2=4&pattern9=&fld_nr9=16&pattern4=&fld_nr4=9&pattern5=&fld_nr5=10&pattern7=&fld_nr7=11&pattern6=&fld_nr6=12&pattern8=&fld_nr8=14&data_type=HTML&return=SCREEN_RET&max_ret=1000&start_ret=1&fullsearch=NO

Dave

Your calculations might be pretty accurate. I once calculated the necessary speeds and accelerations for a slingshot to deliver jumpers to the sky on days when the plane's being fixed or there just isn't enough people at the DZ.

The way I figured it at about maximum survivable speed and acceleration, you'd need a tower 400m high, and it would throw you upwards to 800m AGL before you run out of speed. I think the numbers I used were pretty near 3G max acceleration and 300kph max speed.:S;)

And btw, with urls that long, you might want to use the other way of mark-upping a link:
{url "http://the.place.to.be/really_long_link_here_that_messes_up_the_layout.html"}Check this out!{/url}
Just a friendly hint.:)

So basically you would create a hop-n-pop machine. Although it would take a few seconds to come off the top of the arc so you have enough speed to deploy your parachute with your normal packjob/pc/bridle length/etc.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>So basically you would create a hop-n-pop machine.

Yup. No way of getting much higher if you want to stay alive and concious. The speed decreases really rapidly when drag and gravity are pulling you to the same direction... :(

I was thinking of buying a second-hand AC-carrier with a steam catapult, get it delivered to Räyskälä, Finland, and mount it upright in the middle of the airfield. What do you think?

that damn thing has been up there a while, I guess he never meets his reserve and re-lists it.. there was another mig for sale but it was currently in a million pieces - labeled as a "RESTORATION PROJECT" I think that went for about 70K or so...

I wonder what year we will be able to buy a stealth.. or even an f-18 for that matter..

Well that's a wonderfull sales offer;) MiG 21 are a great design, with just one down side: They tend to fall out of the sky for no reason. Like many other examples of Soviet military design the are nicknamed "The Widowmaker" It also in an exceedingly ugly plane - essentially a large jet engine with a catapult ejector and a couple of funny looking wings affixed to it. Good luck to the happy buyer, and please do not fly over Florida!

:DFall out of the sky woith no reason?
I think a heat seeker is a pretty good reason to fall out of the sky:P