Kris

Atlanta Living?

Okay, here's the dealio...

I have a very good (90-95%) shot of being transferred to Atlanta with my job within 4-8 weeks. It's not NC, which I wanted, but it's an easy drive to Raeford to visit friends or to Z-Hills, FL for the occasional winter visit.

What are the DZ's, the city, & the living like? How cold does it get in the winter? Do the women have all of their teeth?:ph34r:

I'd like to find a nice 2-bed house with central air & garage, or a gated apartment / condo within 30 or so minutes of the ATL airport.

Here in OK, I was paying rent of $650 for a house with 3 bed, 2 bath, garage, and 1900 square feet. What am I looking at in comparison within 30-mins of ATL? Which suburbs / cities have the best value for the dollar and where do I need to stay away from after sunset?

Which DZ's should I be checking into? Facilities, Aircraft, Disciplines, Vibes, etc...

Thanks!

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Atlanta's DZs:
Skydive Atlanta. Twin Otter. Open everyday, year round. Excellent DZ. About 65 miles south of Atlanta.

ASC. Believe they run a Caravan and a Twin Otter. About 55 miles west of Atlanta.

Skydive Monroe. I think its like 35 miles northeast of Atlanta. Never jumped there, but I hear its decent.

(All distances are from Midtown area.)
Weather in Atlanta is pretty damn good. Not as good as Florida in the winter, but very comfortable compared to other parts of the US.

The worst parts of Atlanta include the horrendous traffic and uncontrolled growth in the suburbs.

Stay away from southwest Atlanta. If you want to live in suburbia, North and Northeast areas are the way to go, but be prepared for yuppies in their suburbans.

Dude, compared to Okie chicks, you'll be in heaven. Not as good as Texas chicks, but I do believe that the only way possible to come close to the beautiful women found in Texas is to go to heaven and only then the angels come in a close second.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Come on down! Atlanta is a city of transplants. You'll find many a longtime resident, but natives are more rare by the day. It's not so much that the natives have moved away just that the place has grown so amazingly that the population is saturated with peeps from every corner of the planet. That being true it may take a bit of getting used to depending on where you come from. patience for people from MANY different walks of life, nationalities, cultures even planets is key to survival here.

You'll find the entertainment top notch from, sporting events to night life, big name concerts and arts alike. One great thing about Atlanta is the ease of escape. Having Delta as the home town team at the world's busiest airport you refered to affords one the luxury of some great airfares to slip back home or off for the weekend.

As for DZs you'll here all the opinions and politics, I suggest just exploring for yourself and seeing what you like. Although if you end up on the North side of town Monroe will be the closest.

The WORST part of Atlanta by far is the traffic. This should strongly influence where you choose to live in relation to work. What seems like any easy lil commute on weekend freeways can turn into 2 hours of hell come Monday so research is in order. I highly recommend "test driving" the route you would drive to and from work during rush hour for any perspective home before settling. As for the $650/month you mentioned for a house? forget it. A house as you mentioned will run at least $1000/month and that is on the very low end. Atlanta is the Apartment complex capitol of the south though. The apartment industry is in a horrible slump right now so you should be able to find some great deals. I have many friends and family in the biz and can help you with any questions you may regarding apartments. You should easily find move in specials even up to 2-3 months free rent upon move in right now. Proximity to the airport and safe cheap rent are tough to come by, but not impossible. Living intown is really starting to become a viable option for those a little more "adventurous".

As for the women yes they have all their teeth. For many years the Female to Male ratio among peeps under 30 was 5/2, that has begun to even out, but the odds are still in our favor!B|

I'd be glad to help you with any questions you might have regarding locations/areas etc. Just drop me a line and I'll help any way I can.

Good Luck,

kwak

Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

I've been here for 8 years and love it. You can live for cheap if you know where to live. The biggest problem with living 30 minutes from ATL is that it is not the best part of town. You could certainly move there cheap enough, but you might not like it.

If you only care about being close to the airport you could live 30 miles west or south of town for cheap the and commute would be good.

There are 4 DZ's around Atlanta:
Atlanta Air Sportz: 55 Northwest
ASC: almost in Alabama
Monroe: 40 miles Northeast
Skydive Atlanta: 65 South

I haven't made it to Monroe yet. Airportz and Skydive Atlanta are both good depending on where you live and the atmosphere you prefer.

"but I do believe that the only way possible to come close to the beautiful women found in Texas is to go to heaven"
I don't think you'll see many Texas chicks in heaven Dave...;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Dude!!! Welcome.......of course...just when you move in....I'm movin out. :D Not really but I did just mail off on application to a company that offered me a job back in Jan. Anyway.....what everyone else said. If you are working at or near the airport you can actually live pretty far south because there isn't much traffic down I-85. I-75 (towards SD Atlanta) is horrible with traffic so 30 minutes would be about 5-10 miles away.....LOL. There are some decent areas and fairly cheap, by metro standards, housing in the Jonesboro area. In fact...I almost moved down there and built an apartment building last year till the deal fell through. You just have to go there and check out the neighborhoods yourself. The "quality" can change pretty fast in that area. If you need anything let me know. You know I jump at SD Atlanta. For me it's the ONLY choice of a DZ in Georgia. I occasionally visit the others but that's my home.

I lived in ATL for several years and loved it except for the traffic. The worst traffic in and around DFW were a walk in the park compared to traffic through ATL. They are still rebuilding from when Sherman made his march to the sea!

Rent is not cheap as you have been told, but a nice place can be found if you go a little farther out. I lived in Smyrna/Marietta area and found the commute easy to the airport as long as I wasn't very far from I 285.

As for having all our teeth...hum. I can only speek for those I know, but we all have our teeth, two eyes, two ears, two arms and two legs. We are pretty intelligent and we love to have fun. I guess it would depend on which crowd you find yourself hanging with. If you choose to hang with a nasty crowd I believe that would reflect on you, not on us.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Welcome to hell.

Hour long crawls along the Interstate in the morning, everybody yak yak on the cell phone cutting you off in traffic. Your life will become dictated by traffic. Real estate prices through the roof- where else can you buy 1200 square feet for the bargain price of a quarter mil? The city council doesn't have enough money to pay all their workers so they're all furlowed 5 days this year because they couldn't get an even bigger property tax hike. Are they still building that $2 billion runway at Hartsfield even though we now have two major carriers in bankruptcy?

Let's not forget about the $15 door fees and $5 bottled Bud when you head out on Friday night. Sit on a deck in Buckhead and count the EMS units as they haul people out. Be sure to keep an extra $100 to get the boot off your car.

The summers are unbearably hot in the city, but the winters are nice. Unless it snows 1/32 of an inch overnight- then show up at work two hours early since there will be accidents everywhere.

Oh yeah.....I almost forgot. Haven't been in one in about 3-4 years but we do have a PLETHORA of fine, high class, titty bars in the metro area. :D

ahhh, the gold club days...

take a client for a visit, guaranteed contract signature the next morning. why, yes, he *is* a retired ball player!!! B|:ph34r::)

steve

Never went in there but if half the news reports during the trial were even partly true......That place had to be a riot!!! :D Definately reminds me of the "Old Days" before the Olympics. Atlanta used to be a VERY differen't city back then.

Hehee yep the Gold Club. Life was good to me back then. I worked down the road a piece in the same biz. $$$ n fun was awesome.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

I have a very good (90-95%) shot of being transferred to Atlanta ...

Congratulations...

What are the DZ's, the city, & the living like? How cold does it get in the winter? Do the women have all of their teeth?:ph34r:

I wasn't skydiving when I lived there. The city is great. Winters can get chilly, but not like New England or the mid-west. Beautiful women.

Overall, Atlanta is a young city, lots of energy, plenty to do. Check out Nakatos for sushi. And the best pizza on the planet can be found at Mellow Mushroom (plenty around the city).

I'd like to find a nice 2-bed house with central air & garage, or a gated apartment / condo within 30 or so minutes of the ATL airport.

Base your living on where you'll be working, then by desired neighborhood. MARTA is excellent for getting to the airport. Traffic patterns are too extreme to measure 30mins to the airport.

Atlanta metro is overll very nice in the northen half of the city. As you branch out, Buckhead, Brookhaven, Virginia Highlands are all nice areas in the metro. From there, points north, and east are the "nicer" parts of town (Sandy Springs, Dunwoody). Outside the perimeter it gets a little rural or "cookie" cutter, like Alpharetta, Roswell. Duluth, Buford etc.

Marietta, Vinings, and Kennesaw are nice too -- North and a shade west of downtown up I-75.

After sunset, south and west ends of the city are not the best to be in (College Park, East Point).

Here in OK, I was paying rent of $650 for a house with 3 bed, 2 bath, garage, and 1900 square feet.

Go to www.homefair.com and request a City Report...they are very detailed, and quite insightful. Overall, you'll like Atlanta. The summers were a bit too hot for me, but it's a vibrant town. It's also a reasonable distance from everything to do: skydiving, white water rafting, Atlanta Int'l Speedway, Smokey mountains of NC, Savannah, Hilton Head Island...etc.

I spend a good two years there with no regrets.B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I guess you want us to think you were at church on Pidemont right??

The last time I was in a titty bar in Atlanta was in 98 or 99 I think. I was passing through Atlanta and had to burn off a couple hours. As I was driving along thinking what I could do with my 3 extra hours, I remembered that I was very near the Gold Rush. :D Seemed like a good plan to me!!! B|

Skydive Monroe. I think its like 35 miles northeast of Atlanta. Never jumped there, but I hear its decent.

LOL- Skydive Monroe rocks, I grew up in Atlanta and later moved to MOnroe where I started jumping - definately worth checking them out! (I also do their website and will be updating it when they get me what I need-lol)

I've been to skydive atlanta and would always go back, never got to go there as much tho cause I lived walking distance to the Monroe DZ. Never been to rome (old or new) or ASC, aka Pauls parachuting (LMFAO) and whatever else they call themselves these days. I do know a few folks who come highly recommended (is that right?) at ASC tho!

I live in Houston now, and I can personally attest to their being kick ass females in both places! ha
-System.Windows.IUnknown.Crash.Reboot.Crash.Reboot.Freeze.Crash.Reboot.Break.Stuff.dot...

Yea.. the problem I heard about with Monroe is that there are too many trees. ASC kinda has the same problem. I've only jumped there one day, and I was lucky enough so that wind lined up with the main landing area nicely. However, the landing area is just a clearing in a forest. :)
The landing area at Skydive Atlanta is pretty nice. It's a large flat area between the taxiway and the runway.

That's another thing about Atlanta, it really is one of the greenest cities. I guess I didn't realize how many tree Georgia/Atlanta has until I went to Dallas.

I heard about with Monroe is that there are too many trees. ASC kinda has the same problem

It's not that bad. Monroe is OK it's just not as open as SD Atlanta. Maybe pick your outs a little earlier. You still have an ENTIRE airport to land on. :D ASC doesn't have AS bad of a problem as they used to with trees. The main landing area is fairly large now but it's still a HILL. That part sucks.....

>>The main landing area is fairly large now but it's >>still a HILL. That part sucks.....

It's a good thing that most of the load goes to the swoop pond (atleast when I was there). Their main landing area can't really handle more than a few people on approach at a time. And yea.. that hilly landing struck me as odd. I hear there is a lot of nasty turbulence off the trees.

Yea.. the problem I heard about with Monroe is that there are too many trees. ASC kinda has the same problem.

I made my second jump at Cedartown Ga. back in 1987 . The landing area ASC has carved out was all just trees then. The club then moved up the road to a private airport (Stockmar) at Villa Ricca, Ga. It was a much tighter area than Cedartown and on my first jump at that location I earned the moniker"Treetop".
After Stockmar shut down I finished my student training at "Billy World", Skydive Green County in Locust Grove, Ga.
Locust Grove had a huge area for landing in comparison to what the other students and I were used to.
On our first outing to Locust Grove the Instructor that took us there bet the DZO $100 that each of the three of us would land in the peas without any ground guidance. Our Instructor won $300 that day.

There is something to be said for tight DZs.
Sure they might be a bit scary at first for some, but there can be no doubt that they force you to hone your spotting and canopy control skills.

"Treetop"

I've only jumped there one day, and I was lucky enough so that wind lined up with the main landing area nicely. However, the landing area is just a clearing in a forest. :)
The landing area at Skydive Atlanta is pretty nice. It's a large flat area between the taxiway and the runway.

That's another thing about Atlanta, it really is one of the greenest cities. I guess I didn't realize how many tree Georgia/Atlanta has until I went to Dallas.