skygirlpc

Why I don't drink

most of us have things that we like to do a lot...
Sadly, a lot of times these things are not for everyone....Even more sadly these things that are not for everyone seems to be the ones that we try to push on others. Be it drinking, drugs or even skydiving.
I know skydiving is not for everyone, and I never try to make pepole want to jump (did when I was new).
If you don't want to drink, that doesn't bother me at all.

I've never met yoru seen you, but i've seen the male dominated jump crowd push pretty hard to get some people drunk just to see how they act. maybe people are uptight...maybe they are a conservative person (girl...even more often). That might have something to do wiht people pushing you. Not that they want you to drink.... so much as they want to see you drunk.

Z

oh yea, several of my good jumping friends don't drink at all....

i don't drink,
I'm rtatooed, ride motorbikes swear and curse and somtimes look mean and angry (only look though I a pasive guy).
But for some reason people seem to expect me to drink and drug, I tell them I don't , they look confised but most are ok with it.
Occassionally some dick presses the point and I get to use my line:)If that dont work I just head butt them on the nose, then they leave me alone;)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

sgpc,

sorry to hear of your situation.... let them know ya don't drink and mean it... they should back down....... but don't get to mad at em... what can ya expect from jumpers that can jump into the floribama and get free beer.......it's been ingrained into thier minds..........speaking of the floribama... is it open durring the winter????

I you believe that your choice to not drink alcohol serves you, then I champion you for taking a stand. Choose is a very strong word, and you used it. To me you show up as coming from a place of strong integrity in this decision.

There are some great parties at my DZ. I choose to go home after a beer or two, way before the scene gets wild and crazy. I choose this because I have a wonderful family life, and I get to have balance between skydiving and home. Nobody puts any pressure on me for that because they understand who I am.
Arrive Safely

John

You don't need a drink to have a good time (just good friends).
You don't need a drink to act drunk (just good acting skills)
You don't need to drink to be accepted (just buy drinks for everyone else)
You don't need a drink to be funny (unless you tip it over someone elses head.)
And you don't need a drink to be good company (just be yourself)

You DO need a drink to make ugly blokes look attractive however.
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

yeah thats probably it.......
or reverse beer goggles, maybee homely dudes want the kitty to think they're pretty

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

Good for you. I drank WAY to much for WAY too many years. It ruined my marriage and almost ruined my relationship with my son. I admire you very much for having the courage and willpower to say No. I quit for 3 and 1/2 years and although I now drink again, I (so far) have been able to keep everything in perspective. Don't let the bastards wear you down. Stay strong and do what's right for you, not them.

Patrick
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

I think it depends on the climate at the DZ. At my home dropzone, we have several teetotalers who make it clear that they don't consume alcoholic beverages. This is a mature approach, and is respected by both the consumers and non-consumers. "Peer pressure" won't influence those who stick to their principles. If you choose not to consume bacteria waste, that is, and should always be, your choice.

They (the teetotalers) don't mau-mau anybody, though. They just say that they don't want any.

My advice: Stick to your guns, and make it clear that you do NOT consume alcohol. There's no need to be rude, on anybody's part. Your wishes should be respected, however.

Anybody who isn't willing to respect your wishes doesn't respect YOU. It's literally that simple.

You don't have to get hammered at the DZ in order to socialize and be accepted.

You can buy beer for othes without having to consume any yourself.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

If anyone gives you a hard time they obviously don't really care about you or being your friend. There are several people at my home DZ that don't drink, nobdy really says anything to them about it, if they do it is usually a question about why not. To these people that don't drink, it seems the answer " I don't want to" is enough. It seems that when that answer is given, everyone respects them for thier decision.
So basically what I'm sayong is that if you don't want to drink, don't. don't take shit from people if they try to force you.

thats just my 2 cents
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

Wow, I thought this post had died out already! Thanks for all your input. In all fairness, looking pack on the "pushing" incident, I think the other person just couldn't understand why I wouldn't want a beer. They weren't really trying to push something on me, I think it was more like they wanted me to feel like part of the group.
I really don't ever see myself going back on my decision but I do appreciate all the support that you guys have given. It has really helped me to see that for the most part, most skydivers shouldn't care we if I drink or not. Thanks again and once again I apologize for ranting to you guys!

Danielle