rhino

I have a question? Opinions needed?

hmmmmmm, good question... maybe its not so much manipulation, but more so them trying to see what they can get away with...or maybe they're just really smart and are figureing things out WAY too quickly.
I guess it would depend on the kid. My niece is 7 now, and she's the manipulation master, if you let her get away with it.

The key to walking on water... Is knowing where the rocks are

As soon as they cry for the first time they begin to manipulate. They learn instinctively that the louder they cry the more urgent attention you give them, and so adjust their decible level accordingly.
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

maybe its not so much manipulation, but more so them trying to see what they can get away with

That is manipulation... I don't even care if it is conscious manipulation.. Even on a subconscious level. Children are programmed VERY early in life.. I am just trying to understand it better...

Rhino

Now youknow your cute little one isn't already manipulating you...or is she. You don't strike me as easily manipulated but maybe she is a sharp little chick.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Any child psychologists out there?

Its been a while since to took a child psych course. I think children do not become aware of others as seprate from their Self until age 2 or so. The 'terrible twos' is that period of adjustment. And then a few years later they develop the concept of deception and lies...

Most 'manipulation' games uunder the age of 2 are just behavioral conditioning.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Serious reply? As soon as you show them how.

I have drilled this into my girls heads: "What do you get when you whine?" Answer: "Nothing"

Never tell them to do something if you aren't ready to stop what YOU'RE doing and make sure it gets done. Never tell them to do something more than once. If they get conditioned to wait for you to raise your voice before they get in motion, that's what they'll wait for. If they know you won't make them do what they're told until the fourth time you tell them and also when you are screaming, they will wait for those conditions.

Dude, you know firsthand that "discipline" is a good thing. Children thrive on discipline and routine. If a kid has a bad habit it can be broken in a week if the adults agree to consistently provide the necessary discipline. Not smacking them around, but firm, consistent commitment to a behaviour. One overnight with a doting grandparent can set you back to square one (not Lisa's) though.

The biggest mistake I see my friends make is the bedtime thing. They let their kids determine bedtime.:o

Anyhow, the are taught manipulation by us from their first breath.