misskriss

Daughters

My sister and I both have unusual names, (Deirdre and Maura) and while we were growing up, everyone got them wrong. It was frustrating, and there were days when I definately wanted to change mine and start going by my middle name. To this day, people get my name wrong, but now it doesn't bother me- I just answer to anything close and usually don't bother to correct anyone. Its just like Laura but with an "M". Still, most people don't get it. Funny because pretty much everyone can pronounce Laura, right? Sort of like Danna, which is pretty obvious to me. (sorry PhillyKev!):P

Anyway, I'd just go with what she wants. Its not like she's asking to pierce her naval, get a tattoo, or join the hells angels, right?? its a small enough concession to show you respect her and trust her judgement. Don't be surprised if she goes back to Danna in a few years, though!! When she's a little older, she might just appreciate a pretty and unique name.

By the way, your youngest looks like Trouble with a capital T!;) I can tell from the picture that she's your wild child!

And please, take this with a grain of salt, because I am not a mom. I do have 3 teenage nieces, though, and my favorite (if I'm allowed to have a favorite) is the "wild child" of the bunch!

maura

I have 2 girls, age 8 and 10 ... I would say: support your kids ideas, unless they are somehow harmful! You will show her that you believe she is capable of making the right choices on issues that are of importance to her.

Self-confidence and a little feeling of control of her own life. Not a big thing, is it? I always called my son by his middle name. When he was 13, he decided that his first was cooler. All his friends and teachers called him that at school. Minor thing. Major on the major thing. Minor on the minor thing. A little independence. Let her go to school wearing a hideous combination of stuff once in a while too. Personal style, choices, opinions. That's how you become a person. Lots of women/daughter conflicts between 10 and 12 as they become people instead of cute pets. Let it go. Pick a better battle. Plenty of time for that. ;)

Bill

DAnna.....has short a sound........Dana...long a

Wierd. I guees it's all in a persons perspective.

A friend of mine in school was Dana, and she insisted it was pronounced with the short a, while my ex (the mother of my eldest son) is also Dana, and she insists it is pronounced with a long A.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I am not a parent, but I am thankful for mine. My given name is Noah Kane. Yet, from the time I was a little child my mother called my Nova. (She kept on say I had a numbing personality!;)) Now over a decade latter all my family members call me that. And also my friends. Though I've realized this has nothing to do with your situation. I think I've made you a dumper person for reading this:P! Whatever your daughter decides to go with, I think it is important for her that you support her decision. It will help both her and you in the future with tougher choices:)

Its her name, call her what she wants to be called. Its such a big part of her individuality and the confidence she can gain from making such decisions about the things which are affecting her world will help her grow. Jordan is a nice name and obviously you think so or you wouldn't have named her as such.
A friend of mine has a boy named JohnWolfe, When he started kindergarten they let him make the call then. At home he was John or Wolfe or JohnWolfe when in mischief, he decided on Wolfe and has since been called by teacher and students as Wolfe.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I can understand Danna's frustration at having her name mispronounced. Even with a name as simple as Greg, some people will still manage to call me Craig, or worse yet, Graig.:S Wanna see me go bonkers? Just call me "Graig", lol!

I think it's fine if she would like to go by Jordan. It's a pretty name for a pretty young girl!:)
Greg

I had to get them all in

You have a beautiful family! I'm gonna have to find a pix of me with my girls and post it! Maybe we should have a segment of the forums here called "Parents of Future Skydivers" ... a dedicated place to talk about our wonderful kids!!! ;)

absolutely.. its a form of self determination..
I go by my middle name as well..my first name is William but everyone called me Bill for short and i was NOT a Bill....so sometime around 8 or 9 i started using my middle name. being a military brat it wasnt hard to change during a PCS, it took a bit for my relatives to adapt, but i think it greatly contributed to me 'being my own person'

my .02

Rans