RevJim

Whuffo laugh today! Kinda long, but good!

There I was earlier today, at our local Fleet Farm. (For those of you out of the area, think scaled down Lowes).

I'm wearing on of my skydiving shirts, as usual. (It's a Gonnabe High Today long sleeve, to be exact).

This guy walks up to me and says "You skydive too? Awsome!"

I'm thinking cool! I found another local guy that skydives!

So I say, "Yea, it's great!"

He asks me where I jump, and I say "All over. I don't really have a home Drop Zone. Some over at Shiocton, some in Missouri, did a little in Texas, ya know, all over."

I asked him where he jumps. He said "Chicago."

"Skydive Chicago, Skydive IL, Chicagoland Skydiving, Milleniun Skydiving...." I'm listing names as kinda a question, trying to pinpoint if I'd jumped with him before.

He stops me saying "Yea, Skydive Chicago. The one off I80, by the strip joint!"

OK, now I'm thinking COOL! He knows his shit, and I know I haven't jumped with him, as I have yet to jump at Skydive Chicago."

He's asking me what I do, ect. Where I've been. All is good.

Then.............

I asked him what his thing" was in Skydiving.

He said, point blank, "8 way speed star."

"I'm number 6."

Whoa, now! I'm thinking, I've just been taken for a ride! This guy knows exactly where Skydive Chicago is, right down to the girly joint on the interstate. So, now I'm thinking he was either there with buddies that started to jump, or maybe he's had a tandem.

Time to string him along....

"So, did you guys compete in speed at Nationals there this year?"

"Nope, we're not that good. 14 to 17 seconds is the best we've been able to do."

"Damn, that's actually pretty good." I said.

Then I spring the ultimate questions on him.
"So, how long you been in the sport?"

"3 years" he said.

"Cool, I've been in for a little over 4. How many jumps you got now?"

"I just did my 250th yesterday!"

"Wow, I've only got about 100." Says I.

Then the ultimate "So, did you join the United States Skydivers Assn. yet?"

He says "Yep! Last month."

At this point I pulled out my USPA card, showed him what is REQUIRED to jump at Skydive Chicago, told him I didn't deal well with fakes and pretenders, and told him to either get to a DZ and do it for real, or go hide under a log."

Then, as a last little stab, I told him that speed was done with 10 members, and to the best of my knowledge, the only time 8 was ever done was for the movie Cutaway."

What a freakin' day!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

He said, point blank, "8 way speed star."

"I'm number 6."

Are there really people out there who can't make the distinction between reality and fiction?:S

If I was fabricating a tale like that, I would've said I was #4 or maybe #5, but there's no way anyone could get to be #6 in three years. Except in the movies.:P

Silly whuffos....:)

Hard to believe that some people are so dissociative that they can't distinguish reality from fiction.

Some may be so far out that they really believe their own stories, because it seemed so real to them in their own minds...!

Fortunately, pathology like this is mostly harmless.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Or maybe people can distinguish reality from fiction, and understand fiction is funner. Anything is possible in fiction.
Shit, I'm still trapped in reality where I can't fly. I can exit stable, but always end up on the ground in some way.
See, in my fiction world, I have wings and don't need a parachute. I fly around all day checking out cleavage. And when flying around, wow, great view of cleavage. Then, since it is fiction.......
I won't write the rest. But it is fun.
Peace,
Thomas
why is it hard to believe people are that dissociative?
Ever try drugs? no more, no less

Maybe he's one of the lurkers here and picked up a few terms
and where some DZs are,and was lonely and looking ofr a friend and he thought he found one and then you hurt his feelings and now he's gonna cry and make the floor slippery
and cause someone to slip on the wet spot and then they sue.And theplace goes out of business.And he's out of a job and living under a bridge.And eating from garbage cans.You might have just caused the collapse of society to gather speed.And because of it the government will collapse and there will be riots and floods and fires and brimstone raining down form the heavens.BTW I'm bored as hell as if you can't tell.B|But thought it was funny any way.Sometimes I do things just for myself and I think this was one of them.

So what did he do after you bitch slapped him? Did his jaw just fall to the floor and you had to call for a cleanup on isle 4 or what?

He sounds like a pretty educated wuffo :D

Dunno. The look in his eyes was one of pure and utter defeat. Embarassment was there too, i think.

Yea, educated. Like I said, I think maybe he did a tandem or something, since he knew exactly where it was, and the rest just kinda grew in his mind....
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Hehehe, I had an experience a lot like that once. I was working one night by myself and this guy walks into the store. Now, it's a fireworks store, so we usually got all kinds of interesting folk, but this guy was classic. I was wearing a skydiving tee as well, and just like with you, the guy starts going on about how he's a skydiver. He asks me if I ever tried skysurfing, except he described it as "that one thing with the snowboard strapped to your feet." That was when my bullshit detector went off.

What topped it all off for me was when he started to tell me why he got out of skydiving. He says that he was so good that he got to skip a lot of the classes and go straight to skysurfing, but then he got in a motorcycle wreck. This gentleman said he was riding on his Dinalli (sp.?) when a semi-truck pulled out in front of him. He says he didn't want to lay it down since he was doing about 100 mph, and he saw a light pole, so he promptly "dove off the bike, grabbed the pole, swung around a whole lot to slow down and then let go." He wasn't hurt, but his wife made him quit taking risks.

What do you do?:)

Truman Sparks for President

I wish I could have, but then I think that maybe my embarassing him in front of his little woman made up for it. She seemed to be believing him hook, line and sinker, and then I busted him. I just straight up told him, man, i'm really good frinds with the dzo, I managed to avoid screwing up completely while on student status, and I still had to go through every step to get where I am, and I still wouldn't dream of trying to skysurf, not to mention who in the hell actually believes this psycho motorcycle story? I mean come on, they don't even try to pull that off in really crappy action movies! He turned bright red and walked out pretty quick. I think most of these people get there bubbles burst just by having bullshit called on them.

Truman Sparks for President

". I think most of these people get there bubbles burst just by having bullshit called on them. "

It's all part of an educational process for liars. When you catch people lying/cheating/whatever, usually you explain how you caught them. They become better at what they were doing.

In the future, just say that you know that they are not telling the truth. Leave it at that. They usually don't want the embarrassment and leave. They get caught by the next person too.