lippy

Ain't worth the money

Watch cutaway after cutaway, watch as students try to kill instructors, instructors and students try to kill themselves, fun jumpers try to kill each other, the cameraman tries not to get killed by anyone, and all in all, everyone comes a couple of inches from being killed again and again and again.

Skydivers and whuffos alike will love this video and it makes the perfect gift for someone else, or yourself!

Call me morbid, but about 5 minutes after somebody posted this here, I was on gear-store.com ordering it. Well, it showed today, and I just wasted my money. This ain't a bad movie, but it sure as hell ain't what the ad would leave me to believe. There's a few shots of unstable students, a couple of botched landings, a few mals, and 40 minutes of skydives...just normal, everyday, skydives. The shit you'd see on any other skydive movie. Not that I don't like watching that stuff, but that's not the stuff that I thought I was getting when I ordered a movie based on this advertisement. Anyways, just a heads up in case you thought this sounds as good as I thought it did.
I got nuthin

Ditto. I posted my review a few days ago. I was most dissapointed that they included the "Bonus!" scenes from The Road to Muffstock (basically a long trailer for another film) in the total running time. So you really only get 25 minutes or so.

I was most dissapointed that they included the "Bonus!" scenes from The Road to Muffstock (basically a long trailer for another film)

I agree it's a rip-off, but I found that section to be the best part of the movie. It was a good laugh. Separate from the laugh, the first clip from that section of the movie was of a double fatality. I see that, and think 'Well that's kind of a gruesome way to start the good stuff' then it's cutoff, and back to the bullshit. Dah well, live and learn.
[:/]
I got nuthin

When that section starts, it's the first exit. They start to spin, then it cuts off. I saw the full vid at the DZ. They keep spinning. You can actually see when they lose conciousnes. It's not cool, but it makes you think twice if you're thinking about being a TM some day.
I got nuthin

When that section starts, it's the first exit. They start to spin, then it cuts off. I saw the full vid at the DZ. They keep spinning. You can actually see when they lose conciousnes. It's not cool, but it makes you think twice if you're thinking about being a TM some day.

Ah. I saw a side spin video once where the drogue got hung up on the bottom of the container. TM had to dump the reserve, everything worked out, lucky bastards.

It's not cool, but it makes you think twice if you're thinking about being a TM some day.

Ever see the Strong side spin tape? Whoa. One bad situation after another, including at least one that was fatal to both jumpers. Scared the piss out of me when I was getting a tandem rating; those video clips ran through my head when I found myself in a drogue side down side spin with 30 tandems under my belt.

Luckily there is a way out of a side spin, even drogue side down. Big kudos have to go out to Ted Strong and Bill Morrissey for developing and publicizing one method that works well. I honestly believe I owe my life to those two and the tandem examiner who insisted we see the tape and learn the technique.

The first clip at the start of the sidespin vid, that starts out 'this is a double fatality' is the one that's in this vid. I wanna be a TM someday, but when I first saw this at 150 jumps it opened my eyes. And to relay what bytch said, and what I've heard from TMs at the DZ after getting out of side-spins, thanks to Ted Strong for not only developing the system, but just a little follow-up when it comes to teaching us how to use it;)

I got nuthin

...Ever see the Strong side spin tape?...I honestly believe I owe my life to those two and the tandem examiner who insisted we see the tape and learn the technique.

Do you think that we should show students carnage video to "put the fear of God" into them, as it were?

Or only to show malfunctions that can be fixed, and discuss how to do it?

I've got a super-gnarly carnage tape that I sometimes trot out to show to (IMO) over-eager young BASE jumpers. It's not real educational, mostly on the order of "here's someone with ten times as much experience as you--watch as they get dealt a horrible circumstance and go in." Do you think that kind of thing is a good idea? I can never decide, so I rarely share the footage.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Do you think that we should show students carnage video to "put the fear of God" into them, as it were?

When I was teaching FJC's we used to show a video of a guy who had a spinning mal that he rode down to about a grand before he chopped it; I saw the same video during my FJC and it really reinforced the "try twice then go to emergency procedures" part of the training. The guy on the tape landed under his reserve fine on that one though.

I do think showing video of malfunctions that ended fine might be good to help students build confidence in the equipment and the emergency procedures. I don't think first jumpers need to see footage of actual fatalities - most of them are quite scared enough.

Actual carnage footage? Maybe reserve that for those who are a bit too cocky/confident for their experience level. For example, the guy with 100 jumps who is sure he can handle a 1.5 wingloading just might learn a valuable lesson by seeing video of someone with more experience hooking it in or making some other fatal or extremely painful mistake under the same wingloading or type of canopy....

By the time I had 100 jumps I had already personally witnessed 2 people hooking it in, one of which is dead, the other wishes he was. Unfortunately I think that a fairly good number of people has seen this happen. >:(

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."