AC-130U Gunship Video in the Wild!

Ok... no A10, how about an AH64 then? Plenty of firepower, just as easy to target people with its cannons...

Whats the average cost per AC130U per flight hour vs another weapon? If its more then an equally effective weapon, go the cheaper route.

Lets try to reduce cost if we can in this long drawn out war against terror.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Whats the average cost per AC130U per flight hour vs another weapon? If its more then an equally effective weapon, go the cheaper route.

An AC-130 costs a SHIT LOAD less per hour than an AH-64. Prior to the "New War on Terror" the average AH-64 pilot was lucky to get 5 hours per month. Why? Becuase those damn things break A LOT and they are expensive to fix. They can't engage targets from 15,000 Ft with their 30MM chain gun. Which makes them FAR LESS survivable in that particular environment. They will do high threat infils better but NOTHING beats an AC-130 in the low threat environment. Cheap to fly.....arty shells are cheap....he can hang out for HOURS on end, Needs little help from ground observers (In fact it was SPECIFICALLY designed to work with "SF Operators" that have minimal training in CAS), and as you can see...it's EXTREMELY effective. It really is the most bang for the buck in a low threat environment. It's biggest weakness is it's susceptability to threats like SA-7-18's that can pretty much pop up out of nowhere. Thankfully....those aren't any good below 14,000Ft and as you may have seen in Kenya THAT depends on the skill of the operator.

About the AH-64, same deal its a tank killer that supports armor and infantry units.
It has 2.75 inch rockets for troop and light skinned vehicles.
Hellfire missiles for tanks!!!
and a 30mm chaingun for killing tanks!!!!
So it was not designed for troops individually, also very susceptible to ground fire and anti-air systems. AC-130 has more counter measures than AH-64. Also you bring in more than one Ah-64 at a time. Requires way too much ground and C2 support than an AC-130.

The AC-130 was designed for this purpose almost exclusively. The design came out of Vietnam when the AC-47, AC-119, and the AC-130 would loiter for hours attacking personnel, truck parks, and light structures. The Afganistan campaign was perfect for the AC-130. It's main vulnerability is AAA fire and shoulder fired missiles, so it can't be used in a high threat (AAA, SAM etc.) environment.
I guess you could say to the enemy, "don't run, you'll only die tired!"
USAF AMMO..............IYAAYAS

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Can you imagine Sadam Husein and President Bush having to personally sign for all their packages?
Can you imagine FEDEX drivers asking for a two minute lead before people opentheir packages?
Can you imagine UPS drivers demanding better running shoes as part of their union contract?

When the Unabomber went to jail, he started writing his brother, but his brother never answered. He suspects that his brother isn't opening his mail.
:D

You mean Warthog or tank buster?

Well..if you want to get technical it's an "A-10 Thunderbolt II." That's the proper name anyway.

if you wanna get really technical the OA-10A is the wharthog the A-10 is the thunderbolt. (or is it the other way around?) I forget!
My photos

My Videos

if you wanna get really technical the OA-10A

Nahh.....the factory designation is the A-10 Thunderbolt II. The "OA" part is just a military designation for an Airborne FAC. Unlike some other aircraft there really is no difference in an OA-10 and an A-10 except the "SCL" Standard Conventional Load. The OA will normally carry 1300 rds of "party mix" API and straight AP for the 30MM gun and some 2.75 WP rockets for marking. Where the SCL on an A-10 will include MK-82 or 84, AGM-65, etc etc.....whatever the ASOC(Air Support Operations Center) has asked for....depending on what kind of CAS you are running. Pull or Push CAS........and there we get off to another subject. Cross train into the J1C4X1 career field and you'll learn more about this sort of thing than you ever wanted to....:D

Ok... no A10, how about an AH64 then? Plenty of firepower, just as easy to target people with its cannons...

oh no..an apache has nearly 100 hours of maintenance for every hour of combat flight....a damn effective weapon but not a very cost effective one..of course i guess it also depends on what you destroy in that hour ;)

Uuummm...NO....:D The OFFICIAL DESIGNATION is the Thunderbolt II, for all of them. Warthog is just a name that people came up with....Kinda like "BUFF" for B-52's and "Gondola Cutter" for the A-6. :D

or Puff and Spooky for the earlier 130 variants..

Puff and Spooky for the earlier 130 variants..

Puff was and Spooky still is used as a call sign for them.

IIRC Spooky was the name for the first Spectre radar bird..C-130E ? maybe?

not up on my variants anymore..been awhile since i got to play with them....godless contractors dont get the opportunity for as much fun..