smiles

quiting smoking...

:( I'm pretty proud for 6 months now to have accomplished making rules..don't smoke in the car (no ashtray), don't smoke in the house, don't smoke in my office.

This time of the year, outside is not comfortable /rain/wind/snow/..have got down to less than 1/2 pack a day plus never enjoy smoking a whole cigarette.

I hate ashtrays with butts, hate smell of smoke...hate sore throats. I used to luv smoking when I came down from a dive, even before I packed...actually always smoked more at the d.z. than anywhere.

Now to take the next step and actually stop buying them, and quit.
Anybody have any secrets to success???

Thanx,
Smiles;)

Just imagine a nasty ass black lung, all filled with tar and shiat, and then imagine watching a freaky ass doctor putting it in you....YUCK. It makes me smile when I hear people talking about quitting. Especially now after I found out last week that one of my friends has taken it up. She's friggin 18 and smoking. I don't know how she wasn't affected by all the anti-tobacco ads and shiat. Grrrrr. Anyways :)

>Anybody have any secrets to success???

Just one: Don't give up if you slip!

I have "not smoked" for 9 months now, but when I get drunk enough, I'll smoke a ciggie or two. I've decided that it's a lesser evil to slip every now and then than it would be to start smoking again after the first weak moment.

Otherwise on quitting, I went cold turkey; I didn't see the point in switching to a more expensive nicotin-habit(patches or gum). The patches and gum have worked on some people though, so that's up to you... Do you have any plans yet?

Just imagine a nasty ass black lung, all filled with tar and shiat, and then imagine watching a freaky ass doctor putting it in you....YUCK. It makes me smile when I hear people talking about quitting. Especially now after I found out last week that one of my friends has taken it up. She's friggin 18 and smoking. I don't know how she wasn't affected by all the anti-tobacco ads and shiat. Grrrrr. Anyways :)

In light of that remark, take a white t shirt that you are ready to throw out, inhale a smoke and exhale through the shirt, now move to a new spot on the shirt and jsut take drag (don't inhale) and blow through the shirt, now look at the difference and you really get to see how much trash/junk/tar/ stays in yuor lungs;)

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

It isn't a secret but here goes...I tried the patch...and it worked fantastic for me. BUT - inside the destruction sheet, it said that is was common for people to fail at first...just to not give up after the first failure...sounds nuts to me but after screwing up 3 times, I finally got serious and went for almost 8 months without one..I have no idea why I started again after all that time but oh well...Uhh, a side note...Lol. I went to bed with a lady, with a patch on my arm - a few hours later she went to the bathroom and as she walked across the room, I noticed the patch - STUCK TO HER BUTT...tee-hee...don't ask how it got there cause I have no idea...lol.

FFF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

It'll be a year for me in January since I quit .WOO HOO! It's hard.

I still crave them every now and then. I've had the occasional puff and it's nasty.
The biggest reason I haven't gone back is the cost.
Now that I'm skydiving I can't afford to smoke!;)

You can do it!!:)

"It's not just a daydream if you choose to make it your life..."

build yourself up when you go to dz, shun smokers there for a day, and watch it when you drink , thats when you unearth the invisable gene

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

>Anybody have any secrets to success???

when I get drunk enough,

Otherwise on quitting, I went cold turkey;

I took 2 attempts cold turkey, about 3 yrs after
I had a few drinks at a party and found myself
with a lit cig , one drag was enough and I have
never smoked since.

My undersanding is that it takes about a month
to get the nicotine out of your system, but it takes
at least 18 months to retrain your habits.
So try to disassociate smoking from pleasure.

Good luck

Andrew

So try to disassociate smoking from pleasure.

Hire a midget to follow you through life and everytime you go to lite up it will smack your big toe with a hammer. That should help with disassociating smoking with pleasure. Unless your one of "those girls" then it might make you smoke more.

Only my .02 :D

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

My undersanding is that it takes about a month
to get the nicotine out of your system,

Actually, I think it's only a couple days for the nicotine addiction. It's all the other crap in the cigarettes that stay in your system longer (formaldihyde, arsenic, etc.) While you're still smoking, before you quit, might help to switch to an additive free cig, like Winstons or American Spirits.

My opinion is that people quit when they are ready to quit. I don't think anything will help it along unless
you're really ready. My brother tried the patch once and still smoked with it on!
"It's not just a daydream if you choose to make it your life..."

My opinion is that people quit when they are ready to quit. I don't think anything will help it along unless
you're really ready.

Agreed 100%,last year I told myself I was gonna quit new years eve and I did.I told myself I was done,The first 3-4 days are hard.I wanted to smoke but I told myself"I DONT SMOKE".So,I didnt smoke and it gets easier over time.
3 months later I figured,just a couple drags.I knew better.Back to a pack a day[:/].

Dont say"Im trying to quit",say,"I quit".

dropdeded

------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Has anyone tried or know anyone who's tried ZYBAN ? I'm wanting to quit as well, and my doctor keeps pushing the Zyban, supposed to really help , but not sure about it..
thanks......Darrin

This was my "next plan"..for complete withdrawal. ZYBAN reduces withdrawal symptoms and the urge to smoke- I am ready for it....worth giving it a try??
Have heard so much negative remarks with the "patch"...

Hey, thanx for the help guys! Support is GOOD..

Smiles;)

you're really ready. My brother tried the patch once and still smoked with it on!

I tried the patch once and smoked more with it on than I do without it.I'm going to try the hypnosis thing.I know a coupla people that it worked for.

I'm going to try the hypnosis thing.I know a coupla people that it worked for.

I think hypnosis is great, I got a free trial session with my doctor (who is also a hypnotist) last year to help me quit biting my nails. He recorded the session and gave me the tape to listen to periodically to refresh the suggestion. I never did end up listening to the tape because I don't have a tape player. But without the repetition I did very well for a couple of months (until I got stressed out about something.)

--
Hook high, flare on time

ZYBAN that stuff is the shit1 also known as wellbutrin

quit for about a year w/ that, then the towers dropped and i spent 120+ days on the water off pakistan puttin the thump on no goodniks
smoked mad cigarettes on my watch during that time..military dosn't give refills out to sea......

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

I can see why this is important to remember...But, it kinda worked against me. That little nicotine addict voice inside my head was saying 'the sheet said it's okay to slip, if I just have one I'm still a non-smoker' And then it started all over again. But after this pack's gone I QUIT!!!!
Hey Andrew: Please kick me in the head if you see me with a smoke in AZ
I got nuthin

do not exeede whatever doc says.
i had no problems. 1 pill a day
but they say "stroke" possible so i'd say skip a day if you're confident
I had absolutely no problems with it.

almost 2 years later, i'm still here:o

did'nt have to finish the bottle, ohh yeah, you are absolutely incapable of being depressed on that shit. pretty content w/everything weird. it's used for manic's as well under which ever other name