Beerlight

Good place to ski?

Afraid I can't join you, and my information may be out of date, but the best place to ski for the money, hands down is: ALTA. About 35 miles from Salt Lake City.

My dad and I used to go there every Christmas. It's right next to Snowbird. We liked Alta better because most of the operations were independent, and the skiing was as good as, or better than anything we'd tried (Snowbird, Breckenridge, Copper Mtn, A-Basin) at the time. Worth looking into...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I haven't lived in Colorado for about six years but go to Aspen or Vail. I heard Aspen can't be beat!

yeah -- but he said cheap! Alta and snowbird are still inexpensive (relative to the industry), but I think colorado has better snow coverage right now, along with Lake Tahoe region. I know steamboat has gotten dumped on!

Over the past 10 years, I've been to almost every ski resort here in Colorado. I would recommend Steamboat Springs.....absolutely fantastic snow (even the packed powder is incredibly soft). It's a little ways off the beaten path too and is a little less "touristy".

Enjoy...

B~

It depends on the ski/boarding ability of the folks that are going. Breck and Keystone offer some easy runs along with more difficult. They are both about an hour and half drive from Denver. Cooper Mt. is bigger than Breck or Keystone, and a bit farther, but worth the drive. You can pre buy lift tickets on their web site, and that saves some $. You can also pre buy lift tickets at most sporting good stores in the Denver area. Stay away from Vail and Aspen if you want to save $ on lift tickets. Besides, if you don't have alot of experience, you wouldn't be able to hit most of the runs there, since they are so big.
Steamboat tends to get the most snow, but it is about a four hour drive from Denver.
I suggest checking out the resorts on their web sites. Before I head up to any slopes, I do that, checking on the lastest snow fall.
Since you'll be coming from out of town, I would suggest waiting at least 24 hours after landing at DIA before hitting the slopes. Altitude sickness can suck. [:/]

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Grew up in Denver - skiied 27 years. Still suck. Different resorts for what you want.

1. Byron has a point - Steamboat rocks and is pretty reasonable (truth is, they're all overpriced). But it's damn far from Denver - 3-4 hour drive. Most snow in the state, typically.

2. If you're staying in Denver, Winter Park might be your best bet. Great place, not too crowded, good prices. The only complaint is short runs, but if you don't ski all the time, you won't even notice.

3. Aspen is my favorite place all-around, but it's the most expensive and a four hour drive from Denver.

4. Avoid Vail. Some people like it - I think it stinks. Overpriced, lots of snobby tourists, probably the best ski instructors in the world, well groomed snow. Beaver Creek is a better choice than Vail.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

If you get the chance, come to Montana and ski Snowbowl at Missoula. It's not nearly as big a place as some areas, but it is very challenging, very steep, usually has great snow, not too many people, good powder, and is cheap (about $20. a day). I learned to ski there about 40 years ago. I'm now teaching my Daughters to go down the same runs. If you like steep, you'll like SnowBowl. Steve1

Winter Park has over 3000 feet of vertical. I don't know how you could say they have short runs. Mary Jane (which is a part of Winter Park) is my favorite area. It is known for having the best bump skiing in the lower 48 and only has 2 groomed runs. The glades up in Parsen Bowl are very good right now. They just recieved a fresh footie. Steamboat kicks butt as well and should have less of a crowd. I say go to Berthoud Pass for snowcat skiing. $2400 a day and it fits 13 people. "Free" lunch, powder guides, and avalanche training included.
Give me ambiguity...or something else.

I haven't skied in Colorado but I have been to Utah. Simply awesome!! Not a far drive at all from SLC and relatively cheap. IIRC there are 3 differen't resorts in the one canyon that would literally take weeks to ski all of the terrain. Alta, Solitude, and Snow Bird I think. Last time I was out they got 14 in of fresh powder the night I arrived. It kicked ASS!!! Canada has some KICK ASS skiing too. I went to Red Mountain and Whitewater (BC) a few years back. Very good "Tree Boarding" up there, they get great snow, and your money goes something like 25% farther because of the exchange rate. Not a bad deal!!! Whistler/Blackcombe(SP?) is supposed to one of the BEST resorts on the North American continent.

Not a bad deal!!! Whistler/Blackcombe(SP?) is supposed to one of the BEST resorts on the North American continent.

Whistler/Blackcomb is (are) the best ski area in North America (everything taken into account -- skiing, lodging, restraunts, nightlife, etc). Everything that is written about it is not an exageration. I thought it was all hype till I went there, wow.

Outstanding. Thanks for the info. I've always heard bout Steamboat being great.......And the winner is.................Steamboat! Thanks guys.....

Good choice,
I started skiing when I was 3. Competed until I was 18 and started in Bobsled & Skeleton.
It's an overall excellent place when compairing to all others.
(I've skied the World except Japan & France)
Wish I could join you:)

have to agree that it depends on the kind of skiing you want to do ... For my money, Steamboat is too crowded ... went there midweek, and asked the girl at one of the info kiosks where we could go to get away from the crowds we were running into on all the runs ... she looks around, and says it's empty ... LOL! I like to ski off trail, so the back bowls at Vail are fun for me ... they also usually have a few black runs groomed, if you like to ski GS or downhill. Copper also has some decent off trail areas. Night skiing at Keystone is always a hoot too. Beaver Creek has always been enjoyable for me ... the new section they opened a couple of years ago has some nice blue cruisers that are usually pretty empty. Another option that nobody mentioned is Wolf Creek ... small place, but some good powder skiing in the trees if you're into that ... and with the new lift, you don't have to wait for a cat to tow you back up anymore. I've only skied Utah once, but liked Jupiter Bowl at Park City. Deer Valley also has a couple of pretty fun bowl areas. We didn't make it to Alta, tho the locals told us that was the place for powder up there. Have fun!!