skybytch

The Watcha Readin' Thread Strikes Again!

Whatcha readin'?

I'm in the middle of "Visions of sugar plums" by Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum "holiday novel").

Secret reason behind this post - I've got US$100 to blow at Barnes and Noble tomorrow. I need some ideas - any genre, I'll read just about anything. B|

The Story of English. Companion to the PBS Series about 15 years ago. Just pulled it off the shelf to keep from going insane (bedridden w/pneumonia). Of course, I now have my laptop reaching the bedroom wirelessly, so goodby book!

If you want a book with some legs, check out How the Mind Works, by Steven Pinker. He also just release one called The Blank Slate, but I haven't read it, so I can't comment on it.

Good luck!

Making my way through the Prequels to Dune, written by his son and another Sci-fi writer. Bulterian Jihad is a little slow. House Corrino, House Harkonnen and House Atreides were interesting.

Also just picked up another copy of Bridge Across Forever by Richard Bach. Every so often, I read through his stuff again...Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Illusions...

Patricia Cornwell has a book out called Solved: Jack the Ripper which I'd like to read (she is the author of the Dr. Kay Scarpetta stuff - interesting and absorbing)...

I am thoroughly jealous that you have a gift certificate to B&N for $100 - man, I would spend it in a heartbeat. I have had the urge to re-read the Shel Silvertein stuff - out loud to my nephew, but still and all, re-read it for me, too...

And of course there's my old favorite, Stephen King. Dunno if he has anything new out, but I heard that the latest Gunslinger was supposed to be out right about now...sigh....

There. I just spent your whole gift certificate! LOL!!!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Making my way through the Prequels to Dune, written by his son and another Sci-fi writer. Bulterian Jihad is a little slow. House Corrino, House Harkonnen and House Atreides were interesting.

Thanks, Michele! I read House Atreides and then have been so busy I forgot about the others coming out. Just ordered them from Amazon so I can get caught up. I have been a Dune fan for years.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Heya, Seedy...

There are two more that are not published yet, and are marked "forthcoming"...

Dune: The Machine Crusade
Dune: The Battle of Corrino

Butlerian Jihad is, as stated, a bit slow, but gives you a sense of the thinking machines and what transpired. I think I'll wait for the paperbacks of the ones mentioned above, rather than buying the hardbacks. But I will read them.

Ciels-
Michele

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It's long but really good so far... Depending on your political views.

I loved that book when I read in college, but then I tried it again a couple of years ago and realized it was CRAP!

I like "The Fountainhead" a lot better. Less nonsensical. Less evil. More readable.

I do like being part of the secret club who knows who John Galt is, though.
Skydiving is for cool people only

And of course there's my old favorite, Stephen King. Dunno if he has anything new out, but I heard that the latest Gunslinger was supposed to be out right about now...sigh....

Don't worry Michele, the newest Gunslinger isn't due out until September of 2003, followed by the next in November and the last in March of 2004, all tentative dates. His newest is From a Buick 8 as someone previously mentioned. I haven't picked that one up yet.

I just finished catching up on all of the Harry Potter books that I had not read until now. Before that it was Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers in anticipation of the movie, as I had not read the books before. I'm reading each one before each movie. Before that was the two Ya-Ya Sisterhood books. Taking a bit of a break now as I've been reading like crazy for the last several months. Probably will pick up the last LOTR book when I decide to get back to it, unless the new Harry Potter is out by then.

I'm also totally envious of a $100 GC to Barnes & Noble! I could spend it in a minute! I've been reading so much lately, I've turned to the library and borrowing from friends. That way I can put more money toward skydiving (still a student, with my husband, so it's really draining the bank account!). :S

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

"Double Malfunction" by E.P. Gottschalk.
I just started it, and have not even formed an opinion on it yet.
I'm also a big Stephen King reader...just finished "From A Buick 8"
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

the newest Gunslinger isn't due out until September of 2003, followed by the next in November and the last in March of 2004, all tentative dates.

Oh, thank God!!!!!!

I thought that as I hadn't been able to buy any books, that I would miss the release...and while I still might, at least it gives me 9 months...honestly, I hadn't been looking because I know I don't have the ability to NOT buy it if it were out. LOL, I can be such a wimp about books...

Luna - sorry about not replying to the e-mails. Hopefully either tonight or tomorrow. Been kinda busy at work (again, thank God!!!) and have been neglecting friends and family alike...

Ciels-
Michele

An Arrow's Flight by Mark Merlis, 1998.

An astoundingly literate revisiting of the world of Homer's Iliad, set in modern gay culture, telling the story of Pyrrhus, son of Achilleus. Pyrrhus is a flighty but astoundingly beautiful child born of a goddess who grows up to be gay and a stripper in the big city while his estranged father fights Troy. After Achilleus' death, Pyrrhus is drafted to fulfill prophesy, but prophesy is often cryptic.

Firmly set in the homosexual subculture, but universal in its human portrayals, metaphors for modern war, disease, and sexuality, and a huge fun read for people aware of ancient greek culture.

First Class Citizen Twice Over